• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

But I feel like they should be stronger than what they depicted in yesterday episode. Like one or two hits and they are down?
Yeahhh.........you're probably right about that. I guess you can chalk that up to Goh being involved at all, I guess........:cautious:

Legends have always varied in power even in the early seasons, this is not a new thing. The only "God-like" legends are usually portrayed as stuff like Dialga/Palkia/Arceus, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, etc.

Here is one that I've been keeping bottled.

Satoshi shouldn't have got into the Master Class, barely missing it instead.
I do think that this twist, after winning against Kibana, would have more impact.

What is good about having the writers rigging the Masters Tournament to make him advance?

Here is one that I've been keeping bottled.

Satoshi shouldn't have got into the Master Class, barely missing it instead.
I do think that this twist, after winning against Kibana, would have more impact.

What is good about having the writers rigging the Masters Tournament to make him advance?
Nothing about this Tournament was good a least with this it doesn't make the whole thing a waste of time.

Nothing about this Tournament was good a least with this it doesn't make the whole thing a waste of time.
I personally thought the WCS was a great and interesting new concept. Really the only thing I hated about it was Ash falling back into the Normal Class for an episode.

I personally thought the WCS was a great and interesting new concept. Really the only thing I hated about it was Ash falling back into the Normal Class for an episode.
The concept was fine but execution was awful. To me it doesn't matter how good your concept is if the execution sucks.

The concept was fine but execution was awful. To me it doesn't matter how good your concept is if the execution sucks.
What was wrong with the execution? Didn't you say you never watched most of it? The only problem for me is they skipped over Super Class too quickly and he should have had at least 1 more battle.

What was wrong with the execution? Didn't you say you never watched most of it? The only problem for me is they skipped over Super Class too quickly and he should have had at least 1 more battle.
The issue is at the beginning he was basically battling a bunch of nobodies and then so many battles off screen. Also not that many training episodes tbh

Yeahhh.........you're probably right about that. I guess you can chalk that up to Goh being involved at all, I guess........:cautious:
This isn't really goh fault and more on those two pointless rivals that wasted time in last episode which left little room for the regi battle

The problem is they force him into this losing streak and they never bother to show him training to overcome it AND bouncing back. It was all done off screen. I still think that was one of Journeys worst episodes.

I did try to watch it and from what I found was too many off screen battles, battles with nobodies and barely any training. And that was from the beginning.

The problem is they force him into this losing streak and they never bother to show him training to overcome it AND bouncing back. It was all done off screen. I still think that was one of Journeys worst episodes.
Don't forget though, that was all part of early Journeys, which was a hot mess in and of itself.

In concept, sure. In execution, it’s been terrible. Between far too many 1v1 battles, inconsistencies (like why was there a random 1v1 in the Hyper class? Why did we start the Normal class with 2v2 only for the majority to be 1v1 aside from Korrina at the end? How does Ash’s rank shoot far past the original ranking of someone he beats?) battles having no weight to them most of the time especially compared to Ash’s past goals and missed opportunities to utilize other battle formats, the whole thing just fizzled out.

In concept, sure. In execution, it’s been terrible. Between far too many 1v1 battles, inconsistencies (like why was there a random 1v1 in the Hyper class? Why did we start the Normal class with 2v2 only for the majority to be 1v1 aside from Korrina at the end? How does Ash’s rank shoot far past the original ranking of someone he beats?) battles having no weight to them most of the time especially compared to Ash’s past goals and missed opportunities to utilize other battle formats, the whole thing just fizzled out.
I've most likely said this already, but one could probably blame nearly all of that on Journey's first half having some of the worst writing ever (in my opinion, anyway,) in the history of the Pokemon anime. :mad:

I would prefer Mega gengar over Mega Lucario. And in that mater, they developed the gmax spirit bomb without it anyway.

I think ash should not bring reserves at all in PWC, but he should catch a legendary pokemon exactly 1 episode before the final.

Alola was good overall - For me the problem was the timing. After Gninja lost I couldn't see it for a year, I just had to take a break. The fact it had childish plot, animation and league could not be any worst in the mater of timeline. But realy there were good pokemon, some good rivals, and liked the fact Ash went to school.

While some people say that Journeys has downgraded Legendary Pokémon, IMO, it's that other series have made them overpowered. Same with Elite Four members. It was understandable during the early seasons, but these days? Not as much.
I wouldn't say that Legendary Pokemon have been downgraded in Journeys or that other series made them overpowered necessarily either. I think that at this point, there are so many Legendary Pokemon that some of them aren't going to be depicted as uber powerful. They're still considered powerful Pokemon, but aside from the main Legendary Pokemon of a generation, especially with the fourth generation and onward, they aren't shown as deities.

As for the Elite 4, I think that's more of a weird choice than anything else. Having them lose does arguably fit more with their roles in the game, but I never really had a problem with the Elite 4 being put on a pedestal. I always thought that it made sense within the context of the anime, especially when most of them would have years of experience over Ash. I don't think that having them lose is necessarily a bad thing. It just feels weird to me, especially when I don't think that Ash's battle skills are at their peak in this series. He isn't bad by any means, but based on what I've seen, I just don't think I'd consider Ash to be at his best in Journeys compared to some of the previous series.

I hate the PWC. I think it was poorly handled from the start and fans overhyping it as this great new goal from the moment it was introduced doesn't help matters either. I didn't have a problem with Ash's losing streak itself though. As much as I hate the one-on-one battle formats against one shot characters, Ash losing to multiple trainers in a row was one of the few, if only, times that format actually worked. We actually saw why Ash kept losing. He was too set on losing to Bea that he couldn't connect with Riolu or realize that he was facing off against different opponents. It was pretty effective and I liked how Ash realized his mistakes by the end of the episode.

The problem is that actually climbing back through the ranking was done off screen. The losing streak was barely a blip on the radar and only giving Ash a minor setback at best. While I do think that there were some good moments as a result of the losing streak, the fact that it could dealt with off screen was just a terrible decision.

Devoting roughly half of the PWC to one on one battles against one shot characters was a terrible idea. Ash defeating a random trainer's Meganium, Tauros or Elekid doesn't make me think that he's one step closer to Leon or that the PWC is a refreshing new goal that puts the Gym quest to shame. It makes me think that this is a tournament full of random encounters under the disguise of being something more important. A lot of those early Normal Class matches were brief battles that were footnotes in an episode or just setup for the actual main plot of the episode. That just gave off such a terrible impression of the PWC to me that I don't think it ever really recovered from. It's hard to make the PWC feel like a big deal when one match was used to setup the whole Pikachu is jealous of Riolu plot for example. Having so many battles off-screen was really bad, especially when people have been complaining about the lack of screentime for most of Ash's Pokemon too. Even the structure of the PWC itself is pretty bad. The idea of Ash being able to battle anyone to advance his ranking anywhere he goes is a double edge sword. It fits with the world tour gimmick, but at the same time, it contributes to why the PWC often felt like Random Encounters: The Tournament to me. The lack of buildup to these matches also leaves something to be desired.

They did have Ash battle more established trainers consistently starting from the Hyper Class and he hasn't had any more off-screen battles as far as I know. There have been improvements, but I don't think that's enough to make up for the awful start in my opinion, especially when some of my problems still persist. There are still one-on-one battles even in the Hyper Class. The actual number rankings and how winning moves people up the ranks never felt clear to me. And despite Ash facing off against strong trainers from across the world, the PWC feels largely too easy. There have still been good battles, even as early as the Normal Class, but aside from Bea, he hasn't really struggled that much. I don't think it's because Ash is now too good or too strong against regular trainers. I think it's more to do with how short the battles have become, especially in the first two classes, the lack of any consistent rival and his team being mostly evolved from the start. With having only two Pokemon to evolve out of his team, it doesn't really feel like Ash and his Pokemon had to really struggle to climb up the ranks together. Ash winning isn't the problem. He'd defeat most Gym Leaders on his first try too. I think it's the lack of any real challenges to overcome that makes it more of an issue. For some as huge as battling against the top ranked trainers in the world sounds, one would think that it would be a lot more difficult, but Ash has had more challenging badge quests by comparison.

Am I the only one who thought the Nihilego in the Mohn reunion episode was forgiven a little too easily? Tricking an amnesiac into thinking you're his daughter and then preventing him from seeing his own reflection so he doesn't remember the truth is pretty extreme, to say the least. It'd be one thing if it was just because Nihilego thought Mohn would never see his real family again and was trying to prevent him from being heartbroken, but then that very family pays a visit and the very daughter it's impersonating is trying to uncover what happened, so it attacks her... which gives the impression it was only keeping up the ruse for selfish reasons. I know it's pointed out in the episode that Nihilego was going out of its way to keep Mohn's mirror and old uniform safe when it could have easily just thrown them away, but in my opinion, that doesn't make much of a difference if it had no intention of letting Mohn ever see them again. The most sympathetic light I can see it in, which I think was the intention, was that Nihilego was genuinely lonely and just wanted to be loved. Which does help me feel somewhat bad for it, although I still find it hard to excuse what it did as a result. Maybe I'm just sick of this franchise always falling back on the "not evil, just misunderstood" trope.

Am I the only one who thought the Nihilego in the Mohn reunion episode was forgiven a little too easily? Tricking an amnesiac into thinking you're his daughter and then preventing him from seeing his own reflection so he doesn't remember the truth is pretty extreme, to say the least. It'd be one thing if it was just because Nihilego thought Mohn would never see his real family again and was trying to prevent him from being heartbroken, but then that very family pays a visit and the very daughter it's impersonating is trying to uncover what happened, so it attacks her... which gives the impression it was only keeping up the ruse for selfish reasons. I know it's pointed out in the episode that Nihilego was going out of its way to keep Mohn's mirror and old uniform safe when it could have easily just thrown them away, but in my opinion, that doesn't make much of a difference if it had no intention of letting Mohn ever see them again. The most sympathetic light I can see it in, which I think was the intention, was that Nihilego was genuinely lonely and just wanted to be loved. Which does help me feel somewhat bad for it, although I still find it hard to excuse what it did as a result. Maybe I'm just sick of this franchise always falling back on the "not evil, just misunderstood" trope.
The anime sucks at writing villains. There either nuisance like TR, poorly develop like lysandre, or easily forgiven like faba. There are some rare exceptions like hunter J, but that few and far between.

Honestly I think it's because a good villain is usually some type of reflection on the hero. That's why guzma, while debuting late which annoys the heck out of me, worked really well. I feel like this is what ash would of been if he never had that never give up attitude and didn't mature last Kanto.

But ash and the other companions I feel aren't written where this kinds of villains can occur often. That's why they are usually fodder villains like TRio or just basic generic evil villains. Not much personal stakes or anything.

Maybe, but you could also say it's silly to project the concept of human morality onto what is essentially an alien.
Well, it clearly possessed enough humanlike intelligence to be able to come up with and carry out the plan that it did, and also to be able to do things like play the piano. And yes, I know that doesn't necessarily translate to a sense of morality, but I feel like it had to have at least some awareness of what it was doing.

Back
Top Bottom