• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I personally don't really care anywhere near enough about Grookey or Morpeko to pick who is the worst between them, but I will say this: Morpeko at least doesn't evolve, meaning it had little option besides being cutesy non-battling comic relief, and tbh I think that if those kinds of Pokemon are gonna be mandatory from now on, then the way to go is to use small non-evolvers like the Pikaclones for that. Because at least that way it's far less disappointing than if we get another Starter that actually had the potential to do something else with its screentime just sitting there and being basically useless.

Given Journeys' love of furthering past companions' dreams, it's weird they haven't brought back Max to finally give him that Ralts.

And it's not like they can use the "he's too young to be a Trainer" excuse anymore. Bonnie exists, and they managed to give her two.
Yeah, but remember that those two Pokemon had loopholes to Bonnie having them: Dedenne technically belongs to her brother, while Squishy was both never officially caught, and is currently back in the wild doing its job as a protector.

Yeah, but remember that those two Pokemon had loopholes to Bonnie having them: Dedenne technically belongs to her brother, while Squishy was both never officially caught, and is currently back in the wild doing its job as a protector.
Yes, that's exactly my point. Bonnie has loopholes, so there's zero reason why they can't use said loopholes again.

I guess they could have Norman catch Ralts for Max, but I'd be surprised if they'd go that far for Max. I wouldn't be against seeing him come back, but I wouldn't be excited for it either, aside from possibly getting another cameo or mention of May. I always thought that the rule of trainers having to be ten years old in the anime before having their own Pokemon was kind of weird. Clemont barely interacted with Dedenne ad I think only commanded it once in battle, so for all intents and purposes, Bonnie should be considered Dedenne's trainer. She is the one raising it, feeding it and commanded it more times than Clemont ever did.

On a different note, I finally saw the first proper Project Mew trial for Goh. I liked the episode, but they definitely waited way too long for them to actually start it. It kind of reminds me of how Serena got her first Princess Key way too late into XY's run. I do think that it could have been improved upon if they had started this Project Mew goal a bit earlier. I don't think that Goh could have been working towards it at the start of the series. While having something more tangible to work towards could have given Goh's goal more structure, especially when he isn't going to capture every Pokemon, I also think that waiting until he was a bit more experienced and had more Pokemon to help him with the trials made sense. They probably should have introduced Project Mew either shortly after the Darkest Day arc or after he caught Suicune. I know that Professor Oak seeing Suicune registered in his Pokedex is what made him bring up Project Mew in the first place, but I think the same thing could have been accomplished by seeing Eterneus in his Pokedex or just hearing about how he helped to save the Galar region. Having a practice trial to see if he was capable of actually doing the trials just seemed a bit much to me, especially when it just made it take longer for his actual missions to start.

I just felt it was clear from the start that project mew was something they made up down the line. Considering goh captures significantly decreased over time. His original goal just wasn't gonna work for the anime
'Ive been meaning to say this. Feel like the contrast between ash and goh decreased over time. I genuinely thought we were gonna get a gon and killua kinda vibe. But they're kind one braincell by this point

think the fans put too much stock on speculation and coincidence as try to use it as "forshadowing" then get unnecessarily mad at the writers for not delivering something that was never promise

I also think people rely too much on hindsight to critique those who assumed something was gonna happen in the series

I just felt it was clear from the start that project mew was something they made up down the line. Considering goh captures significantly decreased over time. His original goal just wasn't gonna work for the anime
'Ive been meaning to say this. Feel like the contrast between ash and goh decreased over time. I genuinely thought we were gonna get a gon and killua kinda vibe. But they're kind one braincell by this point
Unless things have changed for the Japanese version, they still open up with how Goh's goal is to capture one of every Pokemon, including Mew. I see it less like they realized his original goal wasn't going to work for the anime, but rather that they found a new approach to his goal if that makes any sense. I'm almost positive that Project Mew wasn't planned out ahead of time, but it doesn't really change that Goh wants to capture Pokemon, even if his capture sprees have significantly decreased over time.

I see it less like they realized his original goal wasn't going to work for the anime, but rather that they found a new approach to his goal if that makes any sense.
All due respect, but that original goal made no sense and was never going to work in the context of the anime. Not to mention how boring and one-dimensional it has made Goh as a whole. I guess Project Mew helped a little bit in giving him something to reach for, instead of just chucking Poke Balls at everything that lives and breathes without earning their respect first. Not to mention he will most likely never catch every single Pokemon.

This conversation about Gou bemuses me as it reminds me of how I was watching the first couple of seasons recently and how old-school Ash is often motivated to go to places he hears about because of the pretence of catching strong Pokémon...only to then not bother attempting to catch anything 99% of the time which did irk me.

Gou sounds like the reverse of the problem where he did try to actually stick to his goal and it doesn't work out either. :ROFLMAO:

This conversation about Gou bemuses me as it reminds me of how I was watching the first couple of seasons recently and how old-school Ash is often motivated to go to places he hears about because of the pretence of catching strong Pokémon...only to then not bother attempting to catch anything 99% of the time which did irk me.

Gou sounds like the reverse of the problem where he did try to actually stick to his goal and it doesn't work out either. :ROFLMAO:
There's a good reason why the writers didn't let Ash catch too many Pokemon early on, or just all at once, and I suspect you already know why. The answer is: because if you actually want the Pokemon to be characters in this show (as everyone should,) then it would've detracted too much from the ones he already had (BW series come too mind?) And even there, Ash only caught a few more than the 5 he normally catches in a region, and it was still too much for the writers to handle. Goh's 80+ Pokemon? Forget it. Catching 'em all just doesn't work in the context of the anime. At least not for a main character. That's why Gary was allowed to catch so many more Pokemon than Ash was-because he wasn't the main character.
Yeah, catching Pokemon is another thing as Pokemon would like to be catched. That i dont like by Gou he literly destroys the bond between trainer and Pokemon. Its kinda silly how i go over Goh over and over. But every Episode i see i hate Goh even more!
Goh catches them whether they want to be caught or not 90% of the time, then proceeds to do no almost nothing with them (on-screen, anyway, which is all we, the viewers, care about.) Goh is easily the most controversial (and disliked, probably,) character in the history of the Pokemon anime, and not without good reason.

All due respect, but that original goal made no sense and was never going to work in the context of the anime. Not to mention how boring and one-dimensional it has made Goh as a whole. I guess Project Mew helped a little bit in giving him something to reach for, instead of just chucking Poke Balls at everything that lives and breathes without earning their respect first. Not to mention he will most likely never catch every single Pokemon.
I don't really see how it makes Goh boring or one dimensional. I could understand if you just think he's less compelling because his goal is boring, unrealistic for the anime or poorly handled in general, but Goh never came off as boring or one dimensional to me. It also isn't a requirement to earn a Pokemon's respect before catching them first. That isn't even exclusive to Goh's captures or just the early series captures either. It is a more ideal way to have a trainer bonding with a Pokemon before capturing them, but I don't see it as a huge sin against the series for Goh to go on capture sprees or to not bond with his Pokemon before capturing them.

Yeah, catching Pokemon is another thing as Pokemon would like to be catched. That i dont like by Gou he literly destroys the bond between trainer and Pokemon. Its kinda silly how i go over Goh over and over. But every Episode i see i hate Goh even more!
There are countless examples throughout the series that shows Goh bonds with his Pokemon. Even after his first capture spree, he was seen playing with his new Bug Pokemon. Goh cares about his Pokemon, even if we don't see a lot of one-on-one interactions between them. His existence does not destroy the bond between trainer and Pokemon when he does have multiple bonding moments with his Pokemon. I really hoped that fans were done treating Goh as a villain or that the hate on Goh had cooled down at least a bit, but I guess I was wrong.

Goh catches them whether they want to be caught or not 90% of the time, then proceeds to do no almost nothing with them (on-screen, anyway, which is all we, the viewers, care about.) Goh is easily the most controversial (and disliked, probably,) character in the history of the Pokemon anime, and not without good reason.
The whole "Goh catches them whether they want to be caught or not" is such a weird way to phrase it to me. I'm sure that's referring to how he doesn't bond with most of his Pokemon first or they don't ask to be caught, but catching Pokemon without bonding with them first is not really a new exclusive thing for Goh. The vast majority of Pokemon are instantly fine with being captured regardless of whether or not they've bonded with their trainer beforehand. This has been a complaint well before Goh came into the picture. While they don't get much screentime most of the time, that doesn't really mean that Goh doesn't care about them. They're well taken care of and are happy within the Cercise Lab. And if they don't want to be caught, were shown to be unhappy at the lab or wanted to leave, Goh would want to help them return to the wild or go where they wanted to go because he's a caring person. Plus, the anime has established that Pokemon can leave their trainers if they're really unhappy with them. I wouldn't expect them to do that with Goh's Pokemon for a few reasons, but the point is that if they weren't happy being caught, they'd do something about it.

Honestly, I've always thought that the Goh hate was largely excessive. I can understand the complaints to a degree and there are some points that I do agree with. I don't think he's free of criticism, but people treated him like a villain in the making practically the moment he started to catch Pokemon. People genuinely would call him a friendly Pokemon Hunter or poacher. They treat him as the worst thing ever when I just think he's fine. Goh is likable, has some good moments with his Pokemon, has a nice friendship with Ash and I've found him to be pretty engaging throughout Journeys. I'd even say that Goh is a highlight of the series for me. While I do have my fair share of issues with his storyline and some of his episodes, his episodes are usually pretty fun and seeing him capture Pokemon usually makes me want to play more Pokemon games to capture more myself as opposed to anything else. I have a lot of major problems with Journeys, but Goh wouldn't even in the top ten. He's a good likable character who gets way too much hate just for existing.

That is the thing, I would not aknowledge anything that happens offscreen.

Though. It is far too late for them to fix it, at least for me.

My distaste towards Gou is too strong and profuse that I am unable to see anything good in him.

I dont care about Cinderace and Lucario duo because there are many reasons there can't be togheter:
Lucario and Cinderace are different strong. It was so as where Tate and Liza different strong. A good duo is that not. I mean in the time where both fightet against Eternatus they where both on the same Level but then....training (Ash/Goh)Ash...mega evolution... Ash and then the Gigantic Aura Sphere vs Raihan. Yes that was it. Its all my sight

Idk if I said this before but Lucario and Cinderace's relationship is forced af and I'm tired of hearing how these two are the best duo in Journeys

Duo my ass, they literally never spoke to each other again after that one off Pikachu Filler lmao
The anime doesn't even pretend that there best buds. That was one episode and then forgotten immediately after.

It's mostly people on Twitter I see trying to play up their non existent relationship

Back
Top Bottom