• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I do have a question about the Manga: Why did they release a series for each game of a generation? Why not just have one series for each generation? Seems like a lot of work to write a series for each game when they all take place in the same region.

I do have a question about the Manga: Why did they release a series for each game of a generation? Why not just have one series for each generation? Seems like a lot of work to write a series for each game when they all take place in the same region.
My guess is: Whoever commissions the manga (TPCi?) doesn't really have foresight... Considering they more or less said Blue was made pretty quickly, using the front sprites that were going to be used in GS (but for whatever reason not the back sprites), I wouldn't be surprised.

I dont think it is a bad art style, but it was way different and there is a problem there. It is not like we watxh batman 2022 and want it to look as Batman 2005, but SM was just doing that. And it felt downgrade...

Real Controversial Opinion here

I find the Pokémon Adventures Manga to be extremely overrated and how it's fans keep clamoring it and bashing the whole Anime, saying Adventures is what the Anime should be (Darker, Edgier, etc...), or saying that it is the only "Canon" Pokémon universe because Taijiri's quote when in reality it's no more Canon than something like Pokemon Masters

Most people who say this nonsense typically either haven't read a good chunk of the series (i.e., they never went past the first few arcs) or are some crappy news site/Youtuber throwing clickbait for views.

A decent number of my friends hate this mentality as it grossly exaggerates how "dark" Pokespe really is. Especially since most of its more violent moments happen only in the first few arcs (again, they only read a small part of the series).

And the people who use it to bash the anime are typically just salty that Ash lost a League or something and are best ignored.

Also this is just personal preference but I dislike how the Pokémon in the Adventures Manga are often treated as nothing beyond mere props/tools/battle bots.

It's the exact same reason why Journeys bothers me so much

This is an incredibly unfair comparison.

Pokespe, like most Pokemon manga, is monthly. Always has been. It literally does not have the time or panel space to properly focus on both humans and the Pokemon. Especially not in the current era of Pokemon where Gens only last three years.

This isn't even a Pokespe problem, most game adaptation manga often only give the protagonist a single Pokemon so they don't have to develop a full team.

On the other hand, Journeys is a weekly series, and outside of the near-constant breaks and production issues, it has no such excuse.

Where can you see Japanese reactions to characters? Like the Japanese fandom?
Usually can find stuff on Twitter

Go the official Anipoke Twitter Account and you'll usually see how they're reacting on each Twitter post
Most people who say this nonsense typically either haven't read a good chunk of the series (i.e., they never went past the first few arcs) or are some crappy news site/Youtuber throwing clickbait for views.

A decent number of my friends hate this mentality as it grossly exaggerates how "dark" Pokespe really is. Especially since most of its more violent moments happen only in the first few arcs (again, they only read a small part of the series).

And the people who use it to bash the anime are typically just salty that Ash lost a League or something and are best ignored.

This is an incredibly unfair comparison.

Pokespe, like most Pokemon manga, is monthly. Always has been. It literally does not have the time or panel space to properly focus on both humans and the Pokemon. Especially not in the current era of Pokemon where Gens only last three years.

This isn't even a Pokespe problem, most game adaptation manga often only give the protagonist a single Pokemon so they don't have to develop a full team.

On the other hand, Journeys is a weekly series, and outside of the near-constant breaks and production issues, it has no such excuse.
That's fair I understand your point

- The DP Rap is the worst English dub opening to date (I don't like a good chunk of Goldfarb's OPs as much as most people, not controversial, but this seems to be these days: before the BW days, was commonplace actually).

I hate how Ash’s battle style relies on coming up with stuff on the fly. While it’s fun to watch most of the time, it makes Ash seem like an idiot that can’t plan ahead. I want him to actually strategize and train based on environments and to use moves in unique ways to counter them.
Basically I want Ash to be like Sawyer.

I hate how Ash’s battle style relies on coming up with stuff on the fly. While it’s fun to watch most of the time, it makes Ash seem like an idiot that can’t plan ahead. I want him to actually strategize and train based on environments and to use moves in unique ways to counter them.
He tried that in DP most of the time it didn't end well for him and he was forced to start thinking on the fly anyway.

It sounds like you want Ash to be a completely different character. I like Sawyer, but he was the opposite of Ash in a lot of ways. I can understand wanting him to strategize more before battles, but I don't think that coming up with stuff on the fly necessarily means that he's an idiot. It's usually presented in the opposite since Ash can come up with creative or unique battle strategies that throw his opponents off their guard and give him the upper hand in battle. Those kind of strategies don't always work in giving Ash believable victories and seeing it all the time might weaken the impact too, but I think that having him plan all of his strategies beforehand would just give Ash a completely different personality.

But it means Steven seems like an idiot, cause he didnt get prepared to Z moves... steping to the last showdown knowing his rival got a gimick to use for his full power.. but just showing off with his Mega Metagross mechanism, in order to be the most impressive trainer..

Well he did it once with Elesa and see how things turned out.

Not controversial but… JN Ash looks like trash. It’s why I can’t take him seriously and part of the reason why I hate JN. Like it would be so much better if we had the XY art style
JN Ash literally just looks like a slightly younger version of XY Ash. I watched the Steven battle recently and Ash looks fine. Only in some of the earlier JN eps when they were getting used to the new design did he look somewhat similar to his SM self or his pupils were drawn a little too large.

Even though I also prefer either his classic look or XY look the most I don't see how Ash looks bad at all this series.

JN Ash literally just looks like a slightly younger version of XY Ash. I watched the Steven battle recently and Ash looks fine. Only in some of the earlier JN eps when they were getting used to the new design did he look somewhat similar to his SM self or his pupils were drawn a little too large.

Even though I also prefer either his classic look or XY look the most I don't see how Ash looks bad at all this series.
I'm not a huge fan of the way he smiles now, those toothy grins are supposed to make him look determined or confident but it actually makes him look evil more than anything.

Compare left (AG) and right (JN)

ed4192eed14756fa5e3ddf8bcd2f4905d8058ccev2_00.jpg
1660575635663.png

Back
Top Bottom