• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Here's the thing: I liked it more when Goh JUST had capturing as his thing instead of neglecting his Pokémon we're supposed to care about. Would have been a lot better than the rushed Sobble evolutions and Grookey. Maybe he could have branched out into capturing Pokémon for professors to give to new trainers.

I really love Cynthia’s character to death, but I’m actually hoping that she doesn’t return in Paldea. Like I said before, she really did overstay her return in Journeys. Now granted it was because of the promotion of BdSp, but I don’t want Cynthia’s character to garner haters because she appeared too much (people have already complained about her being overrated).

Ash's characterization is one of the many problems I have with the SM Anime.

The kind of questions I asked myself throughout this Anime were "Where are his flaws? If he does have one, how come no one close to him (thus not counting Nanu and Dia) calls him out?". Had he kept his XY design, or having an even more beautiful one, my opinion on his characterization would have stayed the same.

SM Ash is not a bad character in and of himself. It's his characterization I have a problem with.

Last edited:
Galarian Articuno is a evolution of the purple Oricorio.

Seriously... ever since I saw the galarian form I couldn't help thinking it's really an evolution of purple Oricorio.

1663262719102.png

Sensu style Oricorio

1663262756815.png

Galarian Articuno

How is that not a perfect evolution for sensu style?

The latter half of the original series took place entirely in the Johto region, yet Togetic did not debut until Hoenn. The entirety of the Black and White series took place in Unova, yet Klang still hasn't shown up. Are there any Generation VIII Pokemon that could potentially be given either the Togetic or even the Klang treatments?

Also, May's final appearance in the anime in a nutshell:
May: Final Appearance: DP079

(come the releases of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:)

Anime exec 1: Let's bring back May to the anime to promote the release of ORAS!

Anime exec 2: I don't think so. The doctors told us that KAORI was diagnosed with a severe case of spasmodic dysphonia and therefore cannot voice May anymore.

Anime exec 1: Let's recast her then! Maybe with Kana Hanazawa, who voiced May in the trailer!

Anime exec 2: You see, May just isn't the same anymore without KAORI voicing her. They cannot be separated...

Anime exec 1: Then (voice breaking) what's gonna happen to her?

Anime exec 2: (whispers)

(flashback to DP079)

(the Wallace Cup has already ended, and it is now time for May to leave)

May (to Ash, Dawn, and Brock): I have to go now. My planet needs me... (May's cel gets lifted off the screen)

(NOTE: May died on her way back to her home planet)

Kid watching a rerun of DP079 while playing ORAS: Wow! May's from another planet? Cool!

The latter half of the original series took place entirely in the Johto region, yet Togetic did not debut until Hoenn. The entirety of the Black and White series took place in Unova, yet Klang still hasn't shown up. Are there any Generation VIII Pokemon that could potentially be given either the Togetic or even the Klang treatments?
I honestly think Klang was just an oversight and for Togetic they were deliberately saving its debut for an episode where Misty's Togepi evolved.

I honestly think Klang was just an oversight and for Togetic they were deliberately saving its debut for an episode where Misty's Togepi evolved.
Poor Klang (I still don't like it though, as I dislike most mechanical/inanimate object-based Pokemon. It still should've appeared, though.)

Edit: BTW, speaking of Klang, there's something I've been meaning to bring up here about that for a long time. Does Mewtwo-Prolouge to Awakening count as the main series? Because Bulbapedia says it is. Just wondering.

Also, why weren't there any Generation V Pokemon in the Diamond and Pearl series or any Generation VII Pokemon in the XY series (no, movies don't count)? There were also no Generation VIII Pokemon in the Sun and Moon series as well.

Ash vs Steven is better than Ash vs Cynthia

I didn't watch the episodes, but of what I heard, the Ash vs Steven Battle was dull and quite anticlimactic. Could it be wrong?

Candice's was alright at least I thought, but by the time of Volkner's battle (which was waaaaay too late in the series in my personal opinion BTW, I mean hell, the Sinnoh league started just 3 episodes later, :cautious:) the Infernape favoritism was in overdrive. It basically stole the show.

I don't exactly disagree with the above said, but what generation didn't have its favoritism towards some of Ash's Pokémon? Surely Sinnoh would be no different. In that generation, at least, the favoritism has always been at the service of the plot and the antithesis mediated, on the one hand, by Ash and, on the other hand, by Paul.

While the Infernape favouritism may have been somewhat exacerbated, the anime was concerned, to a certain extent, to give a decent development to all of Ash's Pokémon of that generation, as well as to mitigate the aforementioned predilection with the introduction of Pokémon from other generations in the league. The same cannot be said for the 6th generation, where the predilection was much more obnoxious.

Last edited:
I don't exactly disagree with the above said, but what generation didn't have its favoritism towards some of Ash's Pokémon? Surely Sinnoh would be no different.
This is true, but Sinnoh took it to a far greater extent than any previous season had; Charizard was dumped in early Johto to specifically avoid him stealing all the attention and Sceptile wasn't even involved in Ash's major AG victory and didn't take out half a full battle team himself.
Crucially, both also had to end their career on a major loss while Infernape didn't.

Also, May's final appearance in the anime in a nutshell:
May: Final Appearance: DP079

(come the releases of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:)

Anime exec 1: Let's bring back May to the anime to promote the release of ORAS!

Anime exec 2: I don't think so. The doctors told us that KAORI was diagnosed with a severe case of spasmodic dysphonia and therefore cannot voice May anymore.

Anime exec 1: Let's recast her then! Maybe with Kana Hanazawa, who voiced May in the trailer!

Anime exec 2: You see, May just isn't the same anymore without KAORI voicing her. They cannot be separated...

Anime exec 1: Then (voice breaking) what's gonna happen to her?

Anime exec 2: (whispers)

(flashback to DP079)

(the Wallace Cup has already ended, and it is now time for May to leave)

May (to Ash, Dawn, and Brock): I have to go now. My planet needs me... (May's cel gets lifted off the screen)

(NOTE: May died on her way back to her home planet)

Kid watching a rerun of DP079 while playing ORAS: Wow! May's from another planet? Cool!
I imagine May just isn't viewed as a character they need to bring back so they're just leaving her be. ORAS did feel like the last chance for her to get any spotlight again but for reasons stated it wasn't meant to be.

Anything in Journey's was covered by Dawn/Serena so there's not much wiggle room for Koharu to be inspired by a third coordinator. It's redundant.

This is true, but Sinnoh took it to a far greater extent than any previous season had; Charizard was dumped in early Johto to specifically avoid him stealing all the attention and Sceptile wasn't even involved in Ash's major AG victory and didn't take out half a full battle team himself.
Crucially, both also had to end their career on a major loss while Infernape didn't.

I agree about Sceptile, because, if I'm not mistaken, it only reaches this evolutionary stage in the Battle Frontier. The grass starter had a lot of protagonism shared with Pikachu and Swellow in that generation, only at the end he emerged as a true ace.

Charizard, on the other hand, was able, in johto, to tease, along with Ash, several Pokémon and trainers at the beginning of that season. And, in the end, he was too the one who defeated half of Gary's team in Silver Conference in a 1-3 situation. This, not to mention the role of Pokémon in Kanto and in some films, especially the third.

I know Infernape was overhyped, especially in the final part of Sinnoh, but I think the hype was well handled in that time, unlike what would come later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom