• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I mean I can understand people that are disappointed that after Serena left XY giving him a kiss and we got an interview after seemingly doubling down on the ship that they barely interacted when she appeared in JN.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, in one of the openings/trailers of Journeys, the one in which the charizard's car appeared along with Ash and Goh traveling together with Leon, there were one or two scenes of Serena, possibly indicating more appearances of the character, a fact that did not happen, as well as the travels of the two protagonists with Leon.

That is, it seems that there was some planning for Serena this last season, but it turned out that there were significant changes in the roadmap of Pokémon Journeys over the past year which undermined the anticipated interactions between the protagonists of XY.

To this day, I wonder why such sudden changes occurred and if it has anything to do with the end of Ash's journey, given the greater focus on the world championship and its conclusion that followed.

Last edited:
Another post about some of Haruka's one-off contest rivals has reminded me... I actually really miss CotDs. I feel like this is controversial because in general the concept gets a lot of hate. I know there's a balance to be struck and no one wants Johto reborn but some of the CotDs we've seen are iconic, allowing the series to explore issues outside of those affecting the main/recurring cast, and I feel like more recent series really missed that.
I agree with you about that balance. Having CoTDs just to have them got really formulaic in certain sagas, such as in Johto where it seemed every new Pokémon was accompanied by a person specifically created to show them off. That's...a lot; bonus points if they have gaudy outfits that resemble the Pokémon too.

That said, they can definitely add to the world building though which I appreciate. And some of them have been pretty memorable, for me at least, like the one man who helped his Pidgey Orville reach outer space.

I never liked the design/coloring of Ash's Gengar. In my opinion, it works for Gengar in the games, but not so much in the anime. I tried to accept it, but it never really grew on me, and I'd have much preferred it looking like the other Gengar in the anime.

Y'know, like this:

Gengar.png

I never liked the design/coloring of Ash's Gengar. In my opinion, it works for Gengar in the games, but not so much in the anime. I tried to accept it, but it never really grew on me, and I'd have much preferred it looking like the other Gengar in the anime.

Y'know, like this:

View attachment 167253
I agree, I didn't like many of the coloring changes in Journeys, them being based off the games doesn't make them good. Squirtle looks too bright, Ditto looks like a generic blob and Machoke looks...uncanny. I was planning on doing a thread at the time but then the changes stopped. What bothers me the most is that Toxicroak managed to keep its wrong colors for some reason.

What? Source?

It looks like I was wrong, I just took a look at the opening on youtube and I didn't see any frames of the character.

But I'm still somewhat incredulous that I could be so bluntly mistaken. My memory still recalls a promotional image of possible new reappearances of Serena and Dawn that did not materialize, one of them even in a snowy setting.

Can anyone provide some light? Or am I just delusional? lol

It looks like I was wrong, I just took a look at the opening on youtube and I didn't see any frames of the character.

But I'm still somewhat incredulous that I could be so bluntly mistaken. My memory still recalls a promotional image of possible new reappearances of Serena and Dawn that did not materialize, one of them even in a snowy setting.

Can anyone provide some light? Or am I just delusional? lol
Yeah you’re definitely delusional. Serena’s return was supposed to be a complete surprise. As for it being more than one episode, I’m not sure it was ever supposed to be that way.

They even hidden her on the preview of her return episode. Everyone was making jokes about how people are delusional to expect her on a Hoenn and Sylveon episode.

I remember that, but, as I rarely watch the anime, I end up having a screw loose when it comes to the timeline. The episode in which Serena reappears seemed older to me than it is, and I thought it predates the opening of the charizard car.

I, possibly half asleep, must have watched a video of things that were predicted to happen in the anime but didn't, as well as those that weren't anticipated but did, and ended up with mixed oranges and lemons.

Sorry for the mistake and confusion.

Last edited:
About SM, for a Saga about family, I think it's a wasted opportunity to not show any character whose arc is "choosing your own family because you don't like/hate the one you already have".
TR would of been a great example for this plot. But let's be honest, the moment they neutered lusamine and forgiven faba for some odd reason I knew the whole found family/abusive family wouldn't be touched upon

And if it was the resultion would probably be crap. Like how Lillie PTSD and trauma for years vanishing after seeing syvally

Kids' anime is too afraid to show evil parents.
I still think that was part of the reason why they changed Lusamine in SM. Making her into the more typical kind of parent too busy to understand her kids made it feel like they didn't want to dive into a more toxic/unhealthy family with her emotionally abusive behavior from Sun/Moon. To be fair, US/UM tried to downplay that aspect of her personality too, but given the light hearted tone of the anime, I don't know if they would have been willing to tackle something like that regardless.

Back
Top Bottom