• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial Pop Culture Opinions.

Vocal gymnastics has been in vogue in American music for a long time now. Relatedly, it amuses me to see pop music literati enthuse about singers when I reckon they wouldn't last two minutes singing in a symphony hall with no autotune or obediently screaming crowd to hide behind

I think pop really went off the rails when autotune started... which was kinda accidental (blame the engineer that played with Cher's vocals on "Believe"). After that they took out the strong point of pop, which was the vocals.

Autotune can sound good if used as an effect or in electronic music, but not as a crutch, which is what has been happening recently.

I'm curious, if this from an anime-only watcher or are you up to date with the manga? :unsure:
I've watched the anime and read the manga. I'm not a big fan of DiU because of its setting. I prefer the other parts more because the main characters travel to other places while DiU takes mostly place in Morioh. DiU's setting is static and it's not something that I like in anime and manga, I like it when the setting is more dynamic.

Keep in mind that I haven't read that much of part 8 and therefore I don't have any opinion on it.

I've watched the anime and read the manga. I'm not a big fan of DiU because of its setting. I prefer the other parts more because the main characters travel to other places while DiU takes mostly place in Morioh. DiU's setting is static and it's not something that I like in anime and manga, I like it when the setting is more dynamic.

Keep in mind that I haven't read that much of part 8 and therefore I don't have any opinion on it.
Fair enough, though it is certainly an uncommon opinion befitting this thread. Even for all its flaws, I couldn't ever see myself putting DiU under Parts 5, 8 or even 3. :unsure:

As both a JoJo manga-reader and anime-watcher, I have to agree. I absolutely love JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and I really like to love all parts in some way or another, except for Diamond is Unbreakable. I could never get quite into it for some reason. The static setting is a big part of it, but I also didn't find the characters in it quite as engaging or interesting. Josuke is also pretty much my least favorite JoJo.

All of the human centipede movies work as unintentional black comedies, just not the first one.

A Serbian Film is unintentional black comedy as a platonic ideal. Doesn't stop it's rather profound social commentary, but all the depravity is just silly. Also, the metaphors are way to on the nose to miss.

I don't like the manga Stone Ocean because of its protagonist. I find Jolyne another rehash of the standard JoJo protagonist: hotblooded jerk that makes bad decisions, and don't find her an interesting character in the slightest. Even with the prison aspect I feel bored to tears reading the manga, and most of the stand battles are too absurd even by Jojo standards.

I do like some characters from the series: Weather Report has an interesting arc and compelling dynamic with Pucci. But Jolyne is such a bland and boring rehash of a Jojo that I can't just enjoy it

People only say that anime was better in the 80s and 90s because we only remember and rewatch the good shows from that time period.

In reality, there were plenty of mediocre and generic anime released alongside greats like Evangelion or Akira. But those shows have pretty much been forgotten because to most viewers, they weren't worth remembering.

This is moreso a controversial opinion about life in general, but since I feel these are heavily romanticized in pop culture I might as well post it here:

College and college life are extremely overrated. <Speaking as a former student who graduated college a while back.

Yep. Making friends in college can be just as difficult as making friends in your 30's/adulthood. [strikethrough] speaking from experience [/strikethrough]

I'm a very nostalgic person by nature and I agree. I don't mind the odd reboot or sequel series here and there if they're done right, but SO MANY SERIES right now are reboots and remakes and sequels/prequels and frankly I'm getting very tired of it.
It just feels like stagnation in media. I enjoy SOME sequels out there, but it feels like 90% of media is just a reboot/remake/sequel/prequel to some popular nostalgic movie or series. It makes modern media feel dull and uninspired.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom