• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial Pop Culture Opinions.

Reaction score
A place for your controversial opinions regarding the media and entertainment of today.
I’ll start:
My Neighbor Totoro is not that great. It’s good, but it doesn’t deserve all that merchandise.
The MCU makes watching big franchise movies/shows terrible now, because everything has to be connected and lead to some big finale. It weaponizes fan hype.

Last edited:
Popular "punk" is just Green Day and Blink. Blink is good but STOP being like "lmao isn't punk good!? replays american idiot for the 7th time"
American Idiot melted my brain when I was 8, put some respect on that.

Anyway my opinion is that the MCU blows chunks

Death, doom, groove and black metal sound really bad. I have tried to listen to them, but the guttural vocals kill it for me, which is kind of hypocrital considering how I can listen to hardcore and screamo without having that same reaction.

Emo, disco and nu-metal don't deserve the hate they get. Hell, disco is one of the few genres that treats bass good!

Also, bass > guitar. And there should be more bass solos in songs.

Popular "punk" is just Green Day and Blink. Blink is good but STOP being like "lmao isn't punk good!? replays american idiot for the 7th time"
I'm not sure what to think about "American Idiot" and their input from "Warning" onwards considering that it doesn't sound that "pop punk" to me. I do like the songs, but I feel they stopped trying being fun.

NOTE: This comes from someone that loves both types on punk and hates how pop punk is the devil in the minds of elitists.

Just seriously do autotune sparingly like (sic)boy and it sounds OK.
This. Or use it for some effect. Otherwise it looks like you don't know how to sing points at Melissa Mora's music

Agreed that the MCU sucks bad. For many reasons.

Also seconded that the emo/nu-metal genres don't deserve the hate, I freakin' love some nu-metal. I think people are opening up a little more to emo music lately, but I do remember even as recently as like 5-10 years ago it was treated like a joke by most people. (Do people really not like disco, too? What's there not to like about it?!) I wonder if there's enough to be said about stuff like this that there should just be an "unpopular music opinions" thread too lol, I'd be willing to make that...

The decision to cast popular screen actors as the voices in the upcoming Super Mario movie — instead of, you know, actual voice actors — is just... dumb. I know this has been a practice for ages with big animated movies, to hire celebrity voices, but I still think it's dumb. Screen acting and voice acting are completely different skillsets, they're only getting cast because they're celebrities. Hire voice actors, that's literally their job. (Also the fact that Charles Martinet isn't voicing Mario and Luigi in the actual Mario movie is just wrong on so many levels. :()

On the topic of MCU but more on the other end of the Comic book movie spectrum. Zack Synder is a horrible director who failed to even have a little understanding of the characters he was given and for all complaints that Joss Whedon Marvelfied the DCEU, Zack Synder did the same with his Batman and Barry Allen (another Barry becomes Wally West thing, which was stupid) as the MCU did with Iron Man and Spider-Man's mentor relationship when in the comics they were equals not the relationship the JL film gave them. Why didn't they just used the DC Animated Universe as a base? They are the real Justice League.
The Real JL meme.png

Created by me like two years ago.

Also MCU, even though I like the MCU, I hate MCU Spider-Man MCU Spider-Man is the worst of the four (yes, four Japanese Spider-Man y'all!!) live action Spider-Man media we have. To making subservient to other heroes and characters and actively not even giving him his own rogues gallery transplanting his existing ones to wanting revenge on others (or literally pull others from other films). Even in his latest film which made him more independent, the hype wasn't around Tom Holland's Spider-Man and around Strange and the returning characters from the past two Spider-Man as well as other things films since this also sets some of Strange next film. While No Way Home addresses the complaints, they push Peter too far in the independent direction. While I enjoyed how they reimagined some of Spider-Man's traits and characters, it still clear they also stole from Miles Morales (to the point Ned Leeds is basically Miles best friend Ganke Lee). I hope whenever they exhausted everything in the Marvel Universe and reboot the MCU, they treat Spider-Man much much better.

Harry Potter sucked even before the news even came out about the author who won't be named.

Why do John Cena and Dwayne Johnson have to be in a million productions a year? I'm really sick of seeing them everywhere. I hated how Peacemaker got his own series after James Gunn Suicide Squad came out over actually interesting characters in the film and that Black Adam is getting his own film with Dwayne as the star which I don't think even the latter films as the character.

Encanto didn't do it for me like the rest of the world. The grandmother got off pretty much scott-free.

This is hardly controversial :p
Dang, I'm hanging out in the wrong circles then! I know a few people who'd argue otherwise :confused:

I'll live and die by Linkin Park maybe not live and die, but Linkin Park is pretty good. Reminds me of the Shadow the Hedgehog game soundtrack lol
Oh hey, here's one: I think the Shadow the Hedgehog game is actually kinda cool LOL. That whole "edgy" design philosophy (especially in stuff from around that era) has always worked on me. It's corny and cliched and awesome, sue me. :wynaut:
But yeah some of Crush 40's stuff does remind me just a little bit of Linkin Park. Not to mention Sonic Forces actually introduced me to Dangerkids, since they made Infinite's theme... too bad Forces was Forces though.

Encanto didn't do it for me like the rest of the world. The grandmother got off pretty much scott-free.
What would you have preferred happen? She's not a villain, lol.

Oh hey, here's one: I think the Shadow the Hedgehog game is actually kinda cool LOL. That whole "edgy" design philosophy (especially in stuff from around that era) has always worked on me. It's corny and cliched and awesome, sue me. :wynaut:
Shadow's main problem is that its progression structurally flawed.

It's okay to enjoy cringey or objectively bad media including obscure, weird, or cliche pieces of media. Just liking something personally is enough of a reason
Considering I want to learn Japanese to help translate those weird Windows 3 games... You could say I agree with this.

I have a number of music-related ones. lol
~I could blanket say I don't like music that is more electronic, but that's not purely true. However, it is largely true. For the most part, the most electronic I like is electric guitar and hammond organ. Synthesizers, drum machines, and autotune take it too far. Some artists, like the progressive rock artists of the early 70s, do use synthesizers and it's okay, but the synths that became really popular in 80s music are just obnoxious and cheesy IMO.
~In classical music, Romanticism is one of my least favorite eras.
~The recorder is a beautiful instrument. Don't believe me? Listen to this!
~I prefer the timbre of the harpsichord over the piano.
~Woodwind and brass instruments shouldn't be valued less than string instruments.

Oh, and one more general:
~Media that doesn't represent LGBT, people of color, women, etc. is not neutral. It is pandering. The crowd its pandering to just can't see it because they think they're the default.

Things I like that a lot of other people, or at least a vocal minority of people, don't (though I typically understand why they don't):
•Transformers Energon
•The more negatively-received Mega Man games (X7, Battle Network 4, etc.)
•Wii Music
•Devil May Cry 2
•Dead Rising 4
•Resident Evil 6
•Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite
•Basically every Pokémon game from Gen 8 onwards
•Sonic Forces
•Street Fighter X Tekken
•Mega Man: Fully Charged
•BNA: Brand New Animal

Things I don't like that a lot of other people, or at least a vocal minority of people, do:
•Rebuild of Evangelion
•Jonathan Hickman's run on X-Men and anything after his run that doesn't retcon out what he did in that run
•The Netflix reboot of Aggressive Retsuko
•Street Fighter V (I don't like what they did to Sakura's character)
•The Redwall series
•Beastars
•Night in the Woods
•Hazbin Hotel/Helluva Boss
•Pretty much anything Martin Scorsese did
•The Little Tail Bronx series (Tail Concerto, Solatorobo, and Fuga: Melodies of Steel)
•The Raccoons (Canadian 80s cartoon that, in my eyes, is extremely boring)
•Sonic SatAM and the Archie Sonic comics
•Basically everything by Hayao Miyazaki

Other opinions:
•The Netflix version of MST3K isn't as funny as the original version
•I think Konami is making a comeback
•Melee is my least favorite Super Smash Bros. game
•I don't really mind the fact that Waluigi isn't in SSB as a playable character yet, especially considering how annoying people can be when it comes to him.
•I don't ship CJ and Flick
•The ACNH/Doom Eternal memes were dead on arrival
•Even with all the atrocities they're claimed to have committed, I fail to see how the Tau are worse than the humans in 40K
•The Speedy dub of DBZ is funnier than the Big Green dub
•The hate for the Star Wars sequel trilogy is overblown
•Not everything has to be high art; just because something is a "30-minute toy commercial" doesn't mean it's a bad show

Last edited:
•Street Fighter V (I don't like what they did to Sakura's character)
I did like that, in part because I felt that the FBI was going to knock on my door every time I used or fought her in the previous SFs. The frequency of the panty shots + being underage made me feel that way.

•Street Fighter X Tekken
Now this is something I really agree with. Sure, the DLC thing was massively bad, but the game itself was cool. I'm still waiting on the other half of the crossover, though.

•Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite
This is sincerely depressing, considering everything happened thanks to a mix of extreme executive meddling and giving the devs a shoestring budget. Thanks a lot, Capcom and Disney!

Please explain, so I can present this to court.
Apart from the fact that I've seen things he said that make him seem like a crotchety old man who hates everything that he didn't make himself, his works just aren't my thing. They all sort of blend together into a sort of pastel sludge of airplane fetishism and hatred for anything and everything invented after the year nineteen-oh-zero in my mind. Go ahead, call me whatever you want: A philistine, a heretic, a consumer whore, an idiot, whatever! It's my opinion and I'm sticking by it!

I did like that, in part because I felt that the FBI was going to knock on my door every time I used or fought her in the previous SFs. The frequency of the panty shots + being underage made me feel that way.

Now this is something I really agree with. Sure, the DLC thing was massively bad, but the game itself was cool. I'm still waiting on the other half of the crossover, though.

This is sincerely depressing, considering everything happened thanks to a mix of extreme executive meddling and giving the devs a shoestring budget. Thanks a lot, Capcom and Disney!
•I'm not a fan of the whole "your strength as a woman is your ability to give birth" thing they did in her story mode. I'm pretty sure her strength is her ability to throw fireballs and beat up guys like Seth and Zangief.
•I agree, the decisions they made with the DLC were rather strange, but I didn't think they were THAT bad.
•I completely get it. I myself am disappointed with a fair number of the changes and missing features. However, I still found the game fairly enjoyable (though I did mod it a lot).

•I'm not a fan of the whole "your strength as a woman is your ability to give birth" thing they did in her story mode. I'm pretty sure her strength is her ability to throw fireballs and beat up guys like Seth and Zangief.
Ah... That. I don't know. I took it differently, but I haven't played SF in a while (my LB button died). Guess I'll need to replay it soon.
•I agree, the decisions they made with the DLC were rather strange, but I didn't think they were THAT bad.
Nah, I was talking about how all the DLC was already in the disc. That... shouldn't have been done and was what caused most of the controversy in the game. If it wasn't for that, and maybe if it had a little bit more content, I guess people would have looked at it differently.

•I completely get it. I myself am disappointed with a fair number of the changes and missing features. However, I still found the game fairly enjoyable (though I did mod it a lot).
I do think I will find it good once I play it, but man... The potential the game had... Hopefully we will get another chance in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom