• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial Pop Culture Opinions.

Please don't send hate to me

By no means do I think he is a good person, or that he isn't responsible for what happened, but Travis Scott makes good music, and people are hating on his music more than needed. He's a horrible person, but it doesn't mean you need to boycott his music. I've been called senseless for listening to his music, which is pretty stupid because enjoying his music and supporting him are two different things. So just because he's a bad person doesn't mean I need to stop listening to his music, and please dont think I'm a bad person based on this. I said the word "music" alot there.

• The DC Universe and specially the Batman sub-universe have been overexposed and overused a lot lately. It's like they knew they couldn't go hand-to-hand to Marvel in live action movies so they just approved tons of live action and animated shows and movies to make up for that, and ordered them to have Batman cameos everywhere. I mean, the next 3 things aren't jokes:
-Pennyworth, a series about Batman's butler.
-DC League of Superpets, a movie about, you guessed it, their pets.
-Batwheels, a series about their cars.

I can't really think of another franchise that dares to do serious projects about such small details.
  • Also, I don't find Batman that compelling of a character. You can't give him a bigger trauma than watching the murder of his parents, and you can't change his dead serious attitude so your options are limited. He works better when supporting other characters like in the Justice League animated series.
  • Let's wrap this one with a Marvel complaint: The Loki series is terrible, I explain why here.

• lovejoy is only popular because they have a popular youtuber as the main singer, overall most of their songs are very much meh, and none of their songs have stuck in my mind aside from model buses
  • the inazuma chapter of genshin impact had a lot of potential, but overall fell really short, and i feel especially bad for those who hyped themselves up by playing the quest in 2.0 and then having to wait for the 2.1 update to finish the archon quest. i feel like mihoyo held themselves back while writing that story, since the premise of an oppressive government leader isolating the country and taking away people's ways of fighting back to chase an unreachable goal of "eternity" can get uh. controversial
  • piggybacking off of that, baal, or beelzebul, or raiden shogun or ei or whatever you want to call her is. really awful. she's a cold hearted fascist who didn't seem to care about the nation she was supposed to be ruling and protecting, and instead isolated it to the point where there's a whole island full of people from other nations who have no way to get into the rest of the country without paying egregious fines. when confronted with the fact that she was being an awful ruler by yae and the traveler, she instead went on her whole spiel about how she's just in grief from her late sister. like wow, that was a really bad redemption arc! like steven universe redeeming the diamonds bad redemption arc!

okay i think that's all i have for now

(Also the fact that Charles Martinet isn't voicing Mario and Luigi in the actual Mario movie is just wrong on so many levels. :()
Bowser’s advocate here: Charles Martinet is great as Mario and Luigi, but everything we’ve heard so far (to the best of my knowledge) have been short voice clips. I’m not sure how well the accents would translate to larger amounts of dialogue.

But I do agree with you on professional voice actors over celebrities.

Resident Evil 6 is subpar but not bad. I find it strange that people keep expecting Capcom to rehash and keep sticking to strictly working with Raccoon City and Umbrella Corp stuff. The original series title is Biohazard meaning they deal with more than just zombies in the series, people really need to learn that still it seems. Does it mean I think Capcom has no bad Resident Evil games? No, they def have some that I think are complete crap in terms of gameplay (Dead Aim and the Gun: Survivor series stand out.)

Mandela effect is a highly misused term and I hate that a lot of people tend to use it as an excuse to go "I'm in another universe, my memory is flawless" rather than using it to acknowledge the term's actual meaning of "many people recalling something wrong" such as Pikachu's tail, a movie called "Shazam" featuring Sinbad existing, Monopoly man's design, etc etc. The only things that I'm aware of that are not exactly mandela effects are Berenstain Bears and Mandela Nelson "passing away in prison." Bernstain Bears would sometimes be misspelled as "Berenstein" on VHS tapes and books by some publishers as they were sometimes unsure of how to spell it at the time due to how the name is pronounced. Mandela Nelson "passing away in prison" iirc was published in a book in 1990 without an actual source for the statement.

Comparing various games difficulty to Dark Souls is completely idiotic as not every genre of game is meant to be the same as Dark Souls. I am very glad I rarely if ever see gaming "journalists" doing that anymore, ridiculous point in time that small couple of years was.

The Last Jedi is a perfectly OK movie, but the discourse surrounding it has killed my ability to enjoy anything related to Star Wars.
it was 1000% neither as bad as its most virulent detractors nor as good as its most ardent simps would suggest, but the series as a whole sucks mostly because of choices made in regards to this particular movie

Linkin Park are simultaneously overrated, underrated, over-hated and over-loved. But in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Flo Rida has no right being one of the top best selling rappers of all time. His big songs are all dance songs.

Coldplay are a good band. Not amazing, but good.

BDSP didn't need to be released. PLA would have sufficed as a Sinnoh game.

More (western) people should listen to music in other languages. I might not speak any Nigerian, but I absolutely adore Fela Kuti. Everything he does is gold.

Bad > Thriller. Dirty Diana is MJ's best song.

I wish Kanye would take like 5 years off.

Superhero movies are put out so frequently that it's nauseating.

I liked it, but Toy Story 4 had no real reason to be made outside of being a victory lap.

The best thing about Star Wars isn't the movies, the characters, the world, none of that. It's the music.

I kind of like the 2011 Green Lantern movie. A few scenes were filmed at my alma mater while I was there. So it will always hold a special place in my heart despite being objectively terrible.

-I dislike people who go on about modern music being "bad". They see manufactured artists being backed by massive companies on the front page of youtube and assume that's all there is nowadays. Like, the internet exists and people are putting so much new stuff online; you just need to look for what you want. People haven't stopped making [insert musical genre here] songs, they just aren't backed my massive labels.

-Instrumental music >>> anything with vocals. Vocals just get in the way when I listen.

-I hate that shopping malls are basically 66% clothing stores.

-Mobile games/gachas are not the worst things being marketed to people nowadays, and I think hate for them is far overblown.

-Obligatory star wars comment; The Last Jedi was my favorite movie out of the latest trilogy, and I'm pissed that The Rise of Skywalker just backpedaled on a bunch of stuff that happened in the movie just to pander to all the "hardcore fans".

Things I like that a lot of other people, or at least a vocal minority of people, don't (though I typically understand why they don't):
•Transformers Energon
O_O
Nearly everyone hates Energon. It was even considered the worst anime in Japan when it was released! (I don't hate it, but it needed a lot of improvement. I will give it this: in one episode, there's a still shot of Rodimus with a group of other Autobots. You look closely and one of them is definitely Bumblebee. The first time I saw that ep, my eyes were drawn to that silhouette and I gasped. My husband thought I was crazy until I pointed him out!)

Some of mine:
-Marvel currently has the better live action movies while DC currently has the better animated fare.

-DC takes itself far too seriously and needs to tone it down. Case in point: Shazam! is probably one of their best films to date, the other being Wonder Woman, which they seemed reluctant to touch. Everything else is far too grimdark for my liking.

-This is the reason I have major problems watching the MCU Netflix series. It's dark to the point of insanity and I can't handle a lot of it. Punisher being one of the worst among them. Daredevil had a few look away moments but it wasn't nearly as bad. Same with Jessica Jones. Luke Cage was pretty much perfect, so there's that.

-WandaVision's major saving grace? Making Darcy from Thor a badass. Other than that, it was kinda 'meh'.

-I ship Sylvie and Loki. Also, Sylvie is awesome and doesn't deserve the hate.

-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is actually one of the better movies in the series. Hell, it's Oscar worthy compared to The Last Knight.

-Kate Bishop is a better Hawkeye than Hawkeye himself. Jeremy Renner is a freaking tool as well. The less I see of him, the better.

-Same goes for Chris Pratt, or 'Crisp Rat'.

-The only Voltron that doesn't suck is Vehicle Force. I can't stand Lion Force as the characters grate on my last nerve. I can't even watch the 1980s dub of Lion Force because of this and one of the voice actors is Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime himself! It's just that bad!

-Out of every genre of music, country is the worst. Especially the dumpster fire crap from the late 1980s and 1990s. (I'm glaring at you, Billie Ray Cyrus, and your crappy "Achy Breaky Heart"!)

-Transformers: Cyberverse is actually a lot of fun. It's only major downside? Not having any recognizable voice actors.

-Hasbro gave up on The Hub network too quickly. They should have stuck with it, then they would have been able to stream their entire library via Discovery, which would have been less of a headache.

-Star Trek: Discovery is absolutely amazing. It was amazing even before we got the furry feline goddess known as Grudge.

-Lower Decks is awesome, especially if you're a hardcore Trek fan. (I agree with a lot of the other fans: at least one of the writers is lurking in the Trek Sh*tposting group! There's way too many inside jokes!)

-The third season of Generation 1 Transformers wasn't more adult. It just had a crap load of new characters that had little to no development and an Autobot "leader" who whined more than a three year old needing a nap. (Not a fan of Rodimus Prime. Can't you tell?) On the flip side...

-The best Hot Rod was Transformers: The Last Knight Hot Rod. He was actually likable. Too bad he was underutilized. =/

That's it for now. I might come back and add more, if I remember it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom