• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial Pop Culture Opinions.

Well, The Chronicles of Narnia, Green Lantern and The Golden Compass would disagree there...
Oh, absolutely, about 70% percent of movies are bad and end anti-climactically..
However ... TV shows ALWAYS end anti-climactically, that's the part of the game they play. TV shows exist so that people can get addicted to a certain channel/streaming platform and be exposed to ads there so the longer the better. As you may guess, the longer the better doesn't work for most plots. That's your answer. The conflict between commercial part of a product and the need for a coherent story is what destroys a TV show. Most people I know only like their favorite TV shows because of 'little details' they remember fondly while the ending was complete mess. But it's not good enough for me. I need a good conflict, coherence, climax an so on. Doesn't make me a snob, either. It's just the way I consume content

I'm going to be crucified for this but I have to say it: Avatar the Last Airbender is extremely overrated. This isn't to say I don't enjoy the show (I used to love it quite a bit, actually, and I still like going back and rewatching it from time to time), but I am so sick of people constantly talking about it and acting like it's the crowning jewel of all animation (and media in general!) when quite frankly there are tons of other cartoons out there that I enjoy more. I just don't think it's as well-written and amazing as everyone says. Legend of Korra is a hundred times worse but it gets a lot of shit, some of it deserved and some not, so I wouldn't exactly call it overrated.

Yes I used to be a massive fan of ATLA (and Korra), yes my tastes have changed over the years. I won't be silent anymore :p

Oh, absolutely, about 70% percent of movies are bad and end anti-climactically..
It was not because they were bad, it's because they end in cliffhangers, although The Golden Compass one was executive mandated if I recall correctly (movie was still going to have a cliffhanger, just one where you can say "at least this arc ended")

Also, sorry if I sounded bad in the last post. It was more me remembering sitting through those movies and then seeing the sequels get cancelled.

It was not because they were bad, it's because they end in cliffhangers, although The Golden Compass one was executive mandated if I recall correctly (movie was still going to have a cliffhanger, just one where you can say "at least this arc ended")

Also, sorry if I sounded bad in the last post. It was more me remembering sitting through those movies and then seeing the sequels get cancelled.
It's fine and yes, I get you! It's also fine to disagree because I specifically stated these opinions because most people find them controversial. It was mostly my rant in response to people who ask why I can't get into TV shows, haha. It's just me preferring complete and coherent arcs which don't drag for too long but I think you may be similar in this regard.

It's fine and yes, I get you! It's also fine to disagree because I specifically stated these opinions because most people find them controversial. It was mostly my rant in response to people who ask why I can't get into TV shows, haha. It's just me preferring complete and coherent arcs which don't drag for too long but I think you may be similar in this regard.
Well, in my case, it depends on the story or the show, I suffered the 4 year long wait between Attack on Titan seasons, for example. Sometimes it can be fun, but others times it could be a warning sign (again, AoT was the big warning). Just make sure to end things in a conclusive manner in case it doesn't continue!

However, if it's something like Bake-Off or MasterChef I can wait! Aside from liking those competitions (specially Bake-Off), it gives me incentive to see if there are other things I can try out.

Hey, we're exactly half a year away from Christmas Eve, which made me think of giving one, or two unpopular opinions. Yes, I can tie them together!

1. Even as a former retail worker, I have never been able to understand the collective hate for Christmas music. Listen, the music they forced on us the rest of the year got really old to me real fast (a mix of the worst music of the 80s, 90s, 2000s and today, alongside...country....ugh [Country music is the very bane of me. Like holding a cross up to a vampire. Don't do that to me, it's mean]), so when Christmas time came around, I actually found the change in music to be a bit refreshing.

2. This next opinion is going to make me lose all of my cred as a music lover. Oh well. xD I like some muzak - yes, elevator music. I blame The Sims 1 Hot Date for having a station of it and me liking it. Pleasant, orchestral music. What's not to like?

How do I tie these two together? With Christmas muzak. Yup. Seriously. Not kidding. During this most depressing, insect-infested, hot time of the year. It's nice to be reminded of the better half of the year, so...

^Okay seriously. The reverb on that oboe at 1:04, though. Seriously. LOL. Oboe in a can. I don't know why I like it. I shouldn't.

Hey, we're exactly half a year away from Christmas Eve, which made me think of giving one, or two unpopular opinions. Yes, I can tie them together!

1. Even as a former retail worker, I have never been able to understand the collective hate for Christmas music. Listen, the music they forced on us the rest of the year got really old to me real fast (a mix of the worst music of the 80s, 90s, 2000s and today, alongside...country....ugh [Country music is the very bane of me. Like holding a cross up to a vampire. Don't do that to me, it's mean]), so when Christmas time came around, I actually found the change in music to be a bit refreshing.

2. This next opinion is going to make me lose all of my cred as a music lover. Oh well. xD I like some muzak - yes, elevator music. I blame The Sims 1 Hot Date for having a station of it and me liking it. Pleasant, orchestral music. What's not to like?

How do I tie these two together? With Christmas muzak. Yup. Seriously. Not kidding. During this most depressing, insect-infested, hot time of the year. It's nice to be reminded of the better half of the year, so...

^Okay seriously. The reverb on that oboe at 1:04, though. Seriously. LOL. Oboe in a can. I don't know why I like it. I shouldn't.

Oho another music lover with varied taste! The song you linked is absolutely beautiful but it's curious that you link this kind of music to Christmas while it's clearly a Les Baxter type exotica rendition of a Christmas classic, something very summery, like a Hawaiian Christmas. And for people hating Christmas music, I think it's mostly because of things being repeated ad nauseam (also known as 'Chinese torture' - yep, repeating something is a real torture from history, in fact, that's where 'nauseam' part comes...) rather than songs themselves.

And for people hating Christmas music, I think it's mostly because of things being repeated ad nauseam (also known as 'Chinese torture' - yep, repeating something is a real torture from history, in fact, that's where 'nauseam' part comes...) rather than songs themselves.
This. José Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad" would be tolerable or even nice to listen to... But that seems to be the only song they play here. Same with that Mariah Carey song. I even have some Christmas songs in my playlist like "Run, Rudolph, Run" (Chuck Berry), "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (Gene Autry)*, "Christmas Rock Medley" (Richard Campbell), and "Blue Christmas" (The Pretenders).

*This song never plays here AFAIK, so I don't hate it.

And talking about hated songs for that same reason: I don't find "We Built This City" as bad as other people. Yes, it sounds commercial. Yes, it sounds ironic considering the lyrics. But if that's the worst song of the 80s then it's way better than most of the 00s and 10s input (blame autotune and "we're still relevant" artists).

Controversial music opinion but:
there is too much personality cult in music. Fan adoration creates absolutely insufferable attitudes in musicians and the whole fan snivelling before their idols is gross and bizarre. Also, I don't regret forgetting the bands I liked as a teen. I was obsessed with Radiohead but now I can barely listen to most of their songs without laughing at how pretentious they are. People who never outgrow their early music tastes are wacky. Something about them seems incredibly immature and suspicious to me. The same can be said about a person who always listened to the same genre all their life and never branched out anywhere

People who never outgrow their early music tastes are wacky. Something about them seems incredibly immature and suspicious to me.

Hey now. I've recently gotten back into listening some of the pop and rock from the early 2000s that I loved in my early teens - Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Staind, Fuel, etc. Is that immature and suspicious of me? =(

Listening to the music I loved at all points of my life up to now is neat to me. I have it all on my playlist that I listen to at work. Helps take me off of the monotony of the job and allows me to drift into nostalgia. lol

Hey now. I've recently gotten back into listening some of the pop and rock from the early 2000s that I loved in my early teens - Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Staind, Fuel, etc. Is that immature and suspicious of me? =(

Listening to the music I loved at all points of my life up to now is neat to me. I have it all on my playlist that I listen to at work. Helps take me off of the monotony of the job and allows me to drift into nostalgia. lol
Let me change your perspective a little. I live on a country with ex communist past and nostalgia here is not only something people do, it's THE only approved way of thinking. People will look at you weird for claiming that new music is better than old music. The old is right, it's true, it's best, those were The Times ™ The absolute majority of people I know listen to the same songs/artists for DECADES. My neighbor once listened to the same song 15 times in a row (I counted, that's where "Chinese torture" I mentioned kicks in again). She regularly listens to it also, like 3-5 times a week. For YEARS. I don't know a single person who would seek out new music purposefully at all, apart from me. And I am not even that avid of a novelty seeker.

When The Last Jedi came out I defended it to death because it was setting up a bold new direction for Star Wars. In my eyes “let the past die” was the central theme of the movie. I thought Rey not having significant lineage was brilliant, Snoke dying to me was symbolic of letting go of the “evil for evil’s sake” cliche, Luke’s disillusionment and his conversation with Yoda were really well done, I could go on. Most of what I appreciated about the movie was due to it setting the stage for a Star Wars universe where good and evil were far less clear-cut and where cliches and nostalgia bait were thrown to the wayside. It would’ve also tied really well into the prequels and the corruption of the Jedi depicted there, which is actually referenced. I was really excited for the future of Star Wars after that movie, even if it wasn’t perfect (we all know the Leia scene that comes to mind, and Finn and Poe were poorly used). But then the Rise of Skywalker came and threw that all in the trash to appease the lowest common denominator. As a Star Wars movie by itself it was perfectly watchable if not kind of silly, but the extent to which it reverted what The Last Jedi had to offer was extremely disappointing. To be fair, the Mandalorian has brought quite a bit of what I was hoping for, but I really wish the sequel trilogy had been better planned and had the guts to double down after TLJ.

None of this constitutes a groundbreaking take at this point but I’m still a bit salty about how people reacted poorly just because it didn’t follow the Star Wars formula they were used to, and especially about how Disney caved in.

LeBron vs Jordan is a legitimate debate. That's right, I said it; wanna fight about it?

MLB is making a mistake by banning the shift.

People who never outgrow their early music tastes are wacky. Something about them seems incredibly immature and suspicious to me.
Excuse me? I have never outgrow my music tastes and made me branch out, often by going to genres that sound at first similar and then going from there.

I discovered my love of country (a genre that never plays here) after listening to CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd, bands I listened to in my childhood. Same with prog rock and classic rock.

Excuse me? I have never outgrow my music tastes and made me branch out, often by going to genres that sound at first similar and then going from there.

I discovered my love of country (a genre that never plays here) after listening to CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd, bands I listened to in my childhood. Same with prog rock and classic rock.
I excuse you. XD

I discovered my love of country (a genre that never plays here)

You are so lucky! You have no idea. Can't even go to a restaurant without hearing that nonsense where I live. I only hope that it is not played as much once I move up north.

Also, aren't Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR more Southern Rock? I've never thought of them as country at all.

You are so lucky! You have no idea. Can't even go to a restaurant without hearing that nonsense where I live. I only hope that it is not played as much once I move up north.

Also, aren't Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR more Southern Rock? I've never thought of them as country at all.
Lucky? We have frickin' Bad Bunny. That's not even music. And Melissa Mora who's the Costa Rican Kim Kardashian. I'll take Luke Bryan (the bottom of the barrel, I know, but he's so bad he's good IMO) over someone that can't even sing a note and sounds bad even with autotune.

And yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR are southern rock, but I made the move to country because I found country acts similar in style to them, and that's how I fell that rabbit hole. I guess my love for rock and roll also helped, since it has country influences.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom