• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Coordinator's Journey. [0/5]

panzerdragoonsaga

Reaction score
The journey of a Pokemon Coordinator is perhaps not as well known as those seeking badges or battles, but nevertheless, Pokemon contests have continued to enthrall both trainers and audiences alike for many generations. What makes a Coordinator unique? What goes into their training? What lies within the world of Pokemon contests? This RP aims to follow that very goal, focusing around a small group of aspiring Pokemon Coordinators, each with their own goals and style.

Setting: This thread will span across the Sinnoh region, but rather than sticking to the one contest hall in Hearthome City, for the sake of flexibility and expanding on the plot, this thread will instead go off of the locations used in the Diamond and Pearl anime, beginning in Jubilife City.

Rules:
For now, this will be kept to just five users, so as not to overcrowd the thread.
2. Don't try to make your characters or their Pokemon too overpowered early into the thread.
3. If actual contests are written, they will be discussed and planned out in advance with a winner being chosen, so as not to cause confusion or conflict midway. To make it fair to everyone involved, we will try to rotate victories and defeats, so each character will have a chance to shine and earn a ribbon. Contests written with 'NPCs' are also perfectly okay, though try not to tack too many victories onto your character early on.
4. Don't control other characters or their Pokemon - again, controlling 'NPCs' is fine, though they will not count as full fledged characters and will mostly be used minimally.
5. Activity is not strictly enforced but do try to stay active and keep me updated if something comes up.
6. You are always welcome to contribute your own ideas and input into the plot and participate in the brainstorming - though remember, brainstorming is just that - unless discussed and agreed on by all members, don't assume that your idea will automatically be incorporated.
7. Enjoy yourself!

Name:
Specialty:
Cool/Cute/Smart/Tough/Undecided. (Can also include as many as you like, though it's up to you to balance them.)
Appearance:
Personality:
Pokemon:
Ribbons:
(Each Coordinator will begin with none.)

Pokemon Example:

Pokemon:
Nickname:
(Optional - can skip this.)
Personality:
Moves:
Can use egg moves and will be following learnsets up to the most recent games - if your Pokemon has not yet been included in Sword/Shield (ie: Tepig) then refer to their Gen 7 learnset.

Name: Jewel Ono.
Home: Solaceon Town.
Specialty: Cute.
Appearance: Jewel has shoulder length strawberry blonde hair, she wears a bright yellow bandana on one shoulder and wears a pink sweater underneath along with a pair of blue jeans. She often carries around a handbag designed to look like a Pachirisu's face.
Personality: Jewel has a very spirited and motivated disposition, with Pokemon contests being her number one passion - she tends to get swept up in the excitement and thrill of a rivalry and Pokemon contest, though she is ultimately a kind-hearted person at heart who accepts defeat just as readily as she accepts victory. Jewel views losses as a chance to evolve and grow even stronger and thought of having rival serves as a great motivation to her.
Pokemon: Psyduck.
Ribbons: 0.

Pokemon: Psyduck.
Nature: Lonely.
Personality: Typical of its species, Psyduck often suffers from a headache and has a very wandering and clumsy sort of personality, though he tries to be as energetic as his trainer. Psyduck's odd demeanor can often make him come off as very endearing or very off-putting.
Moves: Water gun, Tail whip, Rest, Amnesia.

Last edited:
Do the Contests follow the game rules or the show's rules, out of curiosity?

To be honest, that's something I've thought of - I was thinking perhaps we could stick to the game's format, where all of the Pokemon show off and gather up points and then perhaps the top point gatherers could be matched in a final battle to determine the winner? Ha, sorry if that's how it goes in the show - my memory of the show is a little foggy.

This is basically how I anime-ified the game's rules:

First--no battles allowed in the Contest Hall!

The Contest is divided into four parts:

--The Parade of Coordinators (where the coordinators and their Pokemon are introduced)
--The Visual Competition (coordinators are given 60 seconds to dress up their Pokemon according to a theme from a box of 100 random accessories. The best dressed Pokemon wins)
--The Dance Competition (the Pokemon take turns dancing to a song they and their master agree on--any rhythm game song--DDR, In the Groove, Samba de Amigo, etc. will do for the songs. The platform the Pokemon dance on is smart--it remembers both the good steps and the stumbles. Mess up too many times, and you're out.)
--The Appeal Competition (The Pokemon take turns appealing to the judges. Each coordinator has five appeals to make a good impression. While you can't take hearts away, you can intimidate Pokemon and make then nervous. For moves without a Contest type, just make one up)

This is basically how I anime-ified the game's rules:

First--no battles allowed in the Contest Hall!

The Contest is divided into four parts:

--The Parade of Coordinators (where the coordinators and their Pokemon are introduced)
--The Visual Competition (coordinators are given 60 seconds to dress up their Pokemon according to a theme from a box of 100 random accessories. The best dressed Pokemon wins)
--The Dance Competition (the Pokemon take turns dancing to a song they and their master agree on--any rhythm game song--DDR, In the Groove, Samba de Amigo, etc. will do for the songs. The platform the Pokemon dance on is smart--it remembers both the good steps and the stumbles. Mess up too many times, and you're out.)
--The Appeal Competition (The Pokemon take turns appealing to the judges. Each coordinator has five appeals to make a good impression. While you can't take hearts away, you can intimidate Pokemon and make then nervous. For moves without a Contest type, just make one up)

I think that's a good format - I don't enjoy writing out battles, personally, so it works well for me and it's a nice mixture of the anime and game rules!

@panzerdragoonsaga

Glad I could help--of course, you're welcome to tweak and expand on these basic rules to make them yours.

Thanks! I think these rules are fine for Pokemon Contests -if people take issue with them or also want to add onto them, we could discuss that in the future! I guess for me, my biggest concern is balancing things - since Pokemon Contests haven't been seen in the games since around the RSE remakes, and there have been a lot of new moves and Pokemon since then, so which ones would we label as Beauty, Cute, Smart, etc?

so which ones would we label as Beauty, Cute, Smart, etc?
I'd imagine you could do this on a case by case basis based upon move animations, descriptions, and/or the labels of similar, older moves. For example, Sparkling Aria looks and sounds like a Beauty move while you could make a case that Breaking Swipe is a Tough move considering its description states "the user swings its tough tail wildly and attacks opposing Pokémon" and that a somewhat similar Dragon move, Dragon Tail (not in terms of effect but description--they're both tail attacks), is also Tough.

I'd imagine you could do this on a case by case basis based upon move animations, descriptions, and/or the labels of similar, older moves. For example, Sparkling Aria looks and sounds like a Beauty move while you could make a case that Breaking Swipe is a Tough move considering its description states "the user swings its tough tail wildly and attacks opposing Pokémon" and that a somewhat similar Dragon move, Dragon Tail (not in terms of effect but description--they're both tail attacks), is also Tough.

That's a good way of looking at it! It'd be fun to really analyze the moves and see where they would fit in - I'm also open to hearing people's suggestions. So long as everyone agrees on what move would classify as Tough or Beauty, then I'd be okay with that!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom