• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Coro Coro Comic Scans on Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

I thought it was a Squirtle at first, so your not alone.

Anyway, this and Smash Brothers being revealed around the same time, awesome!

So, I love the graphics, they kept it simple but nice looking, and it's cool how the battlefield has a background. Hopefully we will get a wave of D/P info now!

And Autumn 2006 means it might come before November, since most people consider that "Winter"

GrnMarvl13 said:
Thus proving two things: One...I'm almost completely blind. Two...I never believe anyone. But, after careful analysis...it IS Munchlax. I was just...seeing things wrong. Hence why I was merely in disbelief. A state of mind that I often visit.

Yeaah... Munchlax is most likely using an attack.... XD I love the girl's outfit! 9/10 for her. Guy isnt as good. But I still like it! 6.5/10. Wow. I love the graphics for this game! I think this is the furthest they should go. Gamecube and Wii can have the 3-D. This is good enough. Ugh... Now I want a DS!!! ;___;

I love the battle screens! They aren't as squeezed together as the last ones. And there's actually a background! =D

OMG!

They finally revealed some Diamond and Pearl screenshots and information!

*jumps up and and down excitedly*

And the best part is that the games will be coming out this year (Autumn) in Japan.

Yay!!!! :-D

*throws confetti everywhere*

And also, I LOVE the way the new female character looks, and her outfit is simply awesome. I can't wait to play as her when the games finally come out in the U.S. <3

Oh, and I really like the 2.5 D graphics. I'm happy that they still kept the same look of the old games, but at the same time updated the graphics a little bit. ^_^

And of course, it's a given that we'd have to do something like beat the Elite Four before being able to battle/trade to all regions.

But, anyway, I'm really happy to find out that Pokemon Pearl and Diamond will definitely be compatible between R/S/E and FR/LG. That is so awesome!! :)

Hopefully, in the U.S., the games will be released this Winter (last quarter) of 2006. Or, at least by early 2007. ^^

I like the guy's beret, but the rest of his outfit is rather dull. Love the girl, though. Let's hope she appears in the anime.

Habunake said:
I thought it was a Squirtle at first, so your not alone.

Anyway, this and Smash Brothers being revealed around the same time, awesome!

So, I love the graphics, they kept it simple but nice looking, and it's cool how the battlefield has a background. Hopefully we will get a wave of D/P info now!

And Autumn 2006 means it might come before November, since most people consider that "Winter"

Autumn for the Games Industry generally means late summer. Rarely does it stretch as far as October which generally falls into generic Quarter 4 or 'holiday' (IE: Politically Insane, I mean Correct, Christmas).

Comparing this with Emerald's announcement and release, we first learnt of Emerald in June 2004. It appeared at Festa the next month and was out by September. The fastest turn-around for any Pokemon game, beating even Fr/Lg's October 2003/January 2004 announcement and release.

By basically saying "The games are pretty much ready and they're coming your way." with this Coro Coro announcement, they're also saying "And don't expect to wait too long either."

Following Emerald's model to the letter, D/P could be out by August. Following the model and making it more realistic, September.

For those of you keeping count at home, that does leave the possibility of maybe seeing the games in English THIS year at a stretch and very early next year at a more likely point, going by the example set by Ruby and Sapphire with their November 21st Japan/March 17th America launches.

Of course, Nintendo's localisation teams around the world are going to be a tad stretched at the end of this year, so that could lead to a D/P delay but I'd imagine D/P to be considered of the utmost importance to the DS by Nintendo (They announced it before the flucking system launched!) so a speedy translation is also quite possible.

:)

/Ramble

That would make MD, Ranger, and D/P all happen really close together for us, but we also got a much longer gap between Trozei and MD than Japan did. It just doesn't sound right to me for the games to be so close to each other, but I could be mistaken.

Oh, they look really great. I like the fact that they kept the same graphic style as the GBA games. I can't wait until they come out in the US. I'll definitely be getting at least one of them the first day they're out.

I've always wondered what kinda of 3D graphics people would want... Y'know, what they had in mind.

Polygonal ones like the Stadium games? Isometric (that the term?). What about the stuff we have here?

I wonder because there a few of you out there unhappy with the graphics. Well, maybe not the graphics, but the few shots of the fight system. I'm truly baffled as to what was called for.

As for me, these are fairly okay. Dungeon and Ranger sort of push what I was going for more. I'm none the less happy to see actual screen shots. And if you ask me, anything different and fresh that some may have wanted out of Pokemon came with Dungeon and Ranger. These are the tried-and-true million sellers; how much change can one expect?

Hmm, battle backgrounds.
I hope there's a snowfield.

The female looks... interesting to say the most.

Looking at the battle sprites, it occurs to me that Game Freak might reuse all (if not many) sprites from the GBA games for Pokémon.

How long has this game been in development? Does anyone know for sure?

Doctor Oak said:
Comparing this with Emerald's announcement and release, we first learnt of Emerald in June 2004. It appeared at Festa the next month and was out by September. The fastest turn-around for any Pokemon game, beating even Fr/Lg's October 2003/January 2004 announcement and release.

By basically saying "The games are pretty much ready and they're coming your way." with this Coro Coro announcement, they're also saying "And don't expect to wait too long either."

Following Emerald's model to the letter, D/P could be out by August. Following the model and making it more realistic, September.
I do hope that you see the clear difference between Emerald, or even FireRed and LeafGreen for that matter, and the main entries marking the new generation. Emerald was announced with a slated release date, as was XD exactly one year ago. In order to create the impression that the games are truly forthcoming, an exact date is required - not some vague remark.

This unveiling of Diamond and Pearl has long been in order, but it is identical in nature to the showcasing of Ruby and Sapphire four years ago (the release followed half a year after). In other words, there is still much to be had in terms of divulging preliminary information, warranting some time prior to releasing the game. Thus, the November 21st estimation is very much valid.

Misty said:
Not long. Masuda himself confirmed that a while ago. There's also the fact that Drill Dozer was finished a bit over 6 months ago.
The games have been in "earnest development" since last September when Drill Dozer was released. However, a glance through Drill Dozer's credits should be enough to show that Junichi Masuda took no part in the development of that game. I can assure you that Junichi Masuda would not have let the development of a side project interfere with that of the central games - the traditional Pokémon games. The question of what could have preoccupied the main Game Freak team in the one-year period stretching from September 2004 (Emerald's release) to September 2005, remains unsolved.

The question of what could have preoccupied the main Game Freak team in the one-year period stretching from September 2004 (Emerald's release) to September 2005, remains unsolved.

Drugs, booze, women, rock and roll, and young boys, I'd wager.

RBYGSCRSFRLGEPD said:
Looking at the battle sprites, it occurs to me that Game Freak might reuse all (if not many) sprites from the GBA games for Pokémon.

How long has this game been in development? Does anyone know for sure?

Though it could be the scan taking liberties, the sprites do look a bit more detailed - which you would expect from a game running on twice the juice of the GBA.

It's possible they will just use the R/S sprites with a reshading though. Afterall, that's pretty much all they did for the backsprites between G/S/C and R/S.

I'm not at all surprised at how the graphics look, since "good graphics" and "Pokemon" have never been synonymous terms. I just hope they ditch the whole "eight gym leaders, Elite Four" mess for something that hasn't been used in twelve other games.

Dogasu said:
I'm not at all surprised at how the graphics look, since "good graphics" and "Pokemon" have never been synonymous terms. I just hope they ditch the whole "eight gym leaders, Elite Four" mess for something that hasn't been used in twelve other games.

I say that too, but people are content with the same old, same old over and over again.

It's also a shame because the anime is forced to follow the games, so if there are Gyms, we have to sit through yet another 8 Gym saga in the anime. Jesus, that'll bring Ash over 30 badges. -_-

Unown Lord said:
The games have been in "earnest development" since last September when Drill Dozer was released. However, a glance through Drill Dozer's credits should be enough to show that Junichi Masuda took no part in the development of that game. I can assure you that Junichi Masuda would not have let the development of a side project interfere with that of the central games - the traditional Pokémon games. The question of what could have preoccupied the main Game Freak team in the one-year period stretching from September 2004 (Emerald's release) to September 2005, remains unsolved.
Uh, Game Freak is not a particularly *large* company as far as I know - I don't think they really have the manpower to work on two games at once. While I do think that the conceptual design work was in progress long before September 2005, I doubt much if any actual work was done before then.

Misty said:
Uh, Game Freak is not a particularly *large* company as far as I know - I don't think they really have the manpower to work on two games at once. While I do think that the conceptual design work was in progress long before September 2005, I doubt much if any actual work was done before then.
Perhaps you are comfortable with the notion that Diamond and Pearl were put aside in favor of a secondary game that yielded a mediocre success, but I am not. As such, I have done my research.

We can indeed infer that Diamond and Pearl were only pushed forward in September; I am not putting that into doubt. It is easy to settle for the explanation that Drill Dozer was the reason behind Diamond and Pearl's delay, and that is likely what Game Freak wanted us to believe, but it makes little sense.

Whether big or small, the Game Freak company has proven that it can walk and chew a gum at the same time. How do you think they fitted FireRed and LeafGreen in the third generation, not at the expense of Emerald, no less? As a matter of fact, the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald development was directed by Shigeki Morimoto, whereas Junichi Masuda opted to lead the work on FireRed and LeafGreen. Shigeki Morimoto is nowhere to be found in Drill Dozer's credits, Junichi Masuda is listed as being in charge of additional tuning and producing (read: mandatory positions having nothing to do with game content), and as if that were not enough, the entire staff list accredited to Drill Dozer is barely half as long as that of the Pokémon games.

As the few people who read my editorial should know, Junichi Masuda once promised that 2005 would see him place all his powers into the development of Diamond and Pearl, and I am merely curious as to what prevented him from doing so. Adding that to many other points I have raised, the result is one mystery that I am not willing to put to rest.

Last edited:
I just don't liked the fact they put the battle scene and the chat in the same screen, when they should put the screen just for the battle animations and the touch screen for chat, choose moves, items, etc.
At least CoroCoro is confirming the retro-compatibility.
I knew that Munchlax would be able to learn swallow, spit up and estockpile. XD

Scott85 said:
I say that too, but people are content with the same old, same old over and over again.

It's also a shame because the anime is forced to follow the games, so if there are Gyms, we have to sit through yet another 8 Gym saga in the anime. Jesus, that'll bring Ash over 30 badges. -_-

I'm getting of the same plot lines to be honest when I say plot I mean the method gyms elite four. If thats the same why dont they just make the games longer or with different regions that you cross over to other wise I don't think it'll be that different from fr/lg.

Back
Top Bottom