• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Discussion Thread (Current Issue: October 2010)

Re: CoroCoro Discussion Thread (Next Issue: June 2010)

No, it wouldn't be. That is, unless Kanto were accessible and we could actually see its map again.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Tōhoku's map. But Game Freak did rotate Kyūshū's map and it certainly wasn't just because the lack of immediate proximity to the other regions.

You know, of the four maps, only one was rotated. Odds are this one won't either.

You know, of the four maps, only one was rotated. Odds are this one won't either.
I don't know why you would assign probability to a conscious decision made by a company. What Tōhoku and Kyūshū's maps have in common is that they can't be fit into the GBA and DS screens when viewed at once, unless they are rotated or minimized.

According to an interview with Masuda, the reasoning behind rotating Hoenn 90° counterclockwise compared to its real-world counterpart was to increase playability. I don't know if he had other things in mind than the PokéNav map, but the situation with Tōhoku is entirely analogous (the northernmost and southernmost points are farther apart than the westernmost and easternmost points), whereas the other regions don't pose that problem at all.

Last edited:

Note: If someone could sticky this, It wouldn't fall off the first page and other CoroCoro topics wouldn't have it's monthly re-appearances.

I'm hoping for a Pokemon to be revealed that isn't a blatant anthro-fodder. And maybe some character art. Hoping that concept art that was floating around really was used, she looked older, I liked that. Probably gonna be disappointed on both counts, though. Oh well.

I dunno, I don't think Zoroark is that blatant really compared to Lucario...sure, it's bipedal, but it looks pretty feral and doesn't seem to be nearly as human as Lucario if the movie is any indication...none of the trailers seem to indicate it can talk and it just goes around growling like a maniac.

I dunno, I don't think Zoroark is that blatant really compared to Lucario...sure, it's bipedal, but it looks pretty feral and doesn't seem to be nearly as human as Lucario if the movie is any indication...none of the trailers seem to indicate it can talk and it just goes around growling like a maniac.

Both Zorua and Zoroark can talk. Pokebeach and Yaminokame confirmed.

The gang can never quite seem to grasp the idea that some Pokemon can talk, if the synopsis was right. Granted, they get over the astonishment pretty quick, but how many times has it happen so far? The Pokemon never seem to shut up!

Concerning region rotating... Sinnoh was slightly cropped, Johto and Kanto were connected, we haven't officially seen the northern border, and Hoenn got twisted. I'd say there's room for land modification, but who can be positive that it'll be another rotation.

I think we probably won't see a another rotation - yes, the aspect ratio is still wider on the horizontal, but now that HGSS has introduced a free-scrolling map, they've got more leeway with how the regions can be shaped. Not to mention that they can resize the region, too, zooming in on the peninsulas until they've got a region with the right aspect ratio.

No, it wouldn't be. That is, unless Kanto were accessible and we could actually see its map again.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Tōhoku's map. But Game Freak did rotate Kyūshū's map and it certainly wasn't just because the lack of immediate proximity to the other regions.

I don't know why you would assign probability to a conscious decision made by a company. What Tōhoku and Kyūshū's maps have in common is that they can't be fit into the GBA and DS screens when viewed at once, unless they are rotated or minimized.

According to an interview with Masuda, the reasoning behind rotating Hoenn 90° counterclockwise compared to its real-world counterpart was to increase playability. I don't know if he had other things in mind than the PokéNav map, but the situation with Tōhoku is entirely analogous (the northernmost and southernmost points are farther apart than the westernmost and easternmost points), whereas the other regions don't pose that problem at all.
Those are good reasons and all, but seeing how the Anime does introduce the new region as to its location and such to the older regions, turning Tohoku on its side is nearly impossible to do.

I think we probably won't see a another rotation - yes, the aspect ratio is still wider on the horizontal, but now that HGSS has introduced a free-scrolling map, they've got more leeway with how the regions can be shaped. Not to mention that they can resize the region, too, zooming in on the peninsulas until they've got a region with the right aspect ratio.
Thanks you, they got leeway to do things. If they can fit most of sinnoh as region, then they can likely do so for Tohoku.

I can see them maybe rotating Tohoku about 45 degrees clockwise and using the northern part of Chubu and Kanto that haven’t been used yet.

It would probably look something like this which wouldn’t be to bad if you ask me.(pardon the mess)

Tohoku-1.jpg

I didn’t include the northern part of Aomori prefecture because that may have been used in creating a part of the Almia region. I included some of the areas most prominent cities and landmarks in there respective locations. I also assume that Blackthorn is based off of Gujo, Japan and Pewter is based off of Maebashi, Japan so the region would be placed just north of those.

map_hgss_full.png

Checking the map out, if they rotate it 45 degrees and have it at a certain curve, it could fit with Sinnoh north of it, and Sinnoh Northeast of Kanto. I would suggest maybe stretching the Johto mountains to get fit into where they are.

I didn’t include the northern part of Aomori prefecture because that may have been used in creating a part of the Almia region.

It definitely wasn't - Almia looks even less like Aomori's peninsulas (which are very recognizable) than it does Hokkaidou's fishtail. Those peninsulas have so much potential, I really don't think they'd miss their chance to use them.

If they do add Sinnoh's fishtail, if Tohoku is in, don't go telling me its going to be a 1 region game.

If they do add Sinnoh's fishtail, if Tohoku is in, don't go telling me its going to be a 1 region game.

Why not? Look at how freaking big Sinnoh is - to scale, it's much larger then those two areas combined.

Well I know its like how Cianwood is on the Shikoku island, but its just strange to feature a prominent part of a region that already exists and not give access to it. And it just would seem natural to have the same region the DS had in the next gen, just like it seemed natural to have Kanto. It just fits, you know?

Mitchman, didn't you say that Johto shouldn't be revisited even if the region turns out to be based on Chūgoku, making Johto right around the corner? Why the double standard? Hopefully not just because Platinum is a year older than HGSS.

I'm not expecting any other regions other than possibly Sinnoh...

Though without Kanto, it would be interesting. As it would make the 5th gen be the first gen to not have the Kanto region in some form. D:

Last edited:

Hmmm...to bridge the 4th gen to the 1st (and 2nd by extension). Or to bridge the 2nd to the 3rd gen, which is close to being in the realm of remakes. Decisions decisions.

Or maybe they won't bridge any gaps again, and instead create more gaps by giving us another sectioned-off land! Wonder how many people that would upset.

Mitchman, didn't you say that Johto shouldn't be revisited even if the region turns out to be based on Chūgoku, making Johto right around the corner? Why the double standard? Hopefully not just because Platinum is a year older than HGSS.
I stated why. A visit to Johto would be quite nice, but I just can't see it(if we are in the 1st/3rd gen time period again) having an air of change before the 2nd/4th gen time period. Where as Sinnoh does have a feeling like it could have been more rustic, the gym leaders could also be different, it just seems much more likely for the previous gen region then the remake region to appear.
Hmmm...to bridge the 4th gen to the 1st (and 2nd by extension). Or to bridge the 2nd to the 3rd gen, which is close to being in the realm of remakes. Decisions decisions.
Bridging any gen to any gen would just put a game in between the 3 years.

I stated why. A visit to Johto would be quite nice, but I just can't see it(if we are in the 1st/3rd gen time period again) having an air of change before the 2nd/4th gen time period. Where as Sinnoh does have a feeling like it could have been more rustic, the gym leaders could also be different, it just seems much more likely for the previous gen region then the remake region to appear.
As far as the Gyms are concerned, Roark, Maylene and Falkner were probably not Leaders at the time, but Jasmine specialized in the Rock type, so it is about the same level of difference. Frankly, I don't think either Johto or Sinnoh was very interesting plot-wise three years ago; the only past events referenced in the Generation II/IV games are either about Kanto or the distant past.

I suppose that I mostly take issue with the assumption that we will be back in the Generation I/III time period again. It would really render the official web site's "new history" statement null and void. Let's remember that revisiting Kanto in Generation II was actually unprecedented at the time (or rather, going out of Kanto and then seeing it again), and so was moving to an isolated region, Hoenn, and going three years back in time. Granted, Generation IV did not redefine the Pokémon World to that extent (the Distortion World being limited to a third game's story climax), but Game Freak never tried to present Diamond and Pearl as a brand new experience, which they are with Black and White. I think that a previously-unseen time period is the very least they could do.

Back
Top Bottom