• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro provides first look at EX cards: Mewtwo EX to appear in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
CoroCoro provides first look at EX cards: Mewtwo EX to appear in September

The upcoming issue of CoroCoro will be featuring the next set of the Black & White era: Psycho Drive ・ Hail Blizzard. Shown in the issue are Mewtwo EX and an additional promotional Stadium card: Battle City. Psycho Drive ・ Hail Blizzard will be released Sept. 16.

Read more on Bulbanews

Glad to see the first B//W Stadium Card, although I didn't realise it was a Stadium due to the card art - just too much focus on the Pokémon I guess.
I love that Mewtwo, but notice that it's 20 in the set - presume that means that the EX Pokémon won't be included at the end of the set list like the old EX cards, LV.X's, Prime's or the full art cards from the first B//W sets? Still, lovely card, even lovelier card art <3

Is it just me, or has their been alot more TCG news for Gen V more than games? It just seems like it for some reason. Speaking of, I'm wondering if whether or not we'll hear anything about the rumored game(s) that TPCi had hinted at last month in this CoroCoro.

Aw, I saw 'CoroCoro' and assumed it was video game news. ;___;

Is it just me, or has their been alot more TCG news for Gen V more than games? It just seems like it for some reason. Speaking of, I'm wondering if whether or not we'll hear anything about the rumored game(s) that TPCi had hinted at last month in this CoroCoro.

There has been a bit more news than the past generations. The only reason it seems like a lot more is because Bulbanews is taking TCG much more seriously now: not just letting it slide under the radar

Mewtwo is getting such a prominent spot in the TCG AND a new signature move in gen 5 (something that hasn't happened to any other Pokemon yet). While a popular Pokemon alreddy hmm...

I officially submit the idea that Mewtwo will be the star of a 5th gen title, most likely a 3rd console RPG IMO.

I'd personally settle for him being back in SSB4 though.

Why would they use Mewtwo to advertise a new BW TCG when he's clearly a 1st gen Pokemon? Newcomers who have BW as their first game will be confused about him being from the 5th gen when he's not.

I officially submit the idea that Mewtwo will be the star of a 5th gen title, most likely a 3rd console RPG IMO.

They'll need to include the 1st gen Pokemon (including their cross gen evos) in the third version in order to do that.

Ah neat, so the EX Cards are back? I was actually a little surprised to see them return that. Although the Level Xs were a better concept, in my opinion.

Well, not like it matters all that much to me anymore. I lost interest in the TCG awhile ago, and I'm still pretty disappointed with their new holos... So.

Why would they use Mewtwo to advertise a new BW TCG when he's clearly a 1st gen Pokemon? Newcomers who have BW as their first game will be confused about him being from the 5th gen when he's not.

I don't think it's really about that so much - looking back on past TCG sets, there's only so much they can before they need to start using other Pokémon than the ones that fit with the "series" of sets. For example, take the HeartGold and SoulSilver sets - they featured only Pokémon found in G//S and HG//SS (both Johto and Kanto Pokémon), but they can only do that for so long with the TCG, considering how many sets come out in a year and how many new cards need produced for them - in short, there's only so much they can do before having to resort to including Pokémon from Hoenn and Sinnoh, which was evident in the second Japanese HG//SS set.

What's happening with B//W is the same - between the two subsets of Black Collection and White Collection and the second set, Red Collection, all of the Gen 5 Pokémon with the exception of events have been featured on card. Beyond beginning to go back to feature pre-Gen 5 Pokémon, what else are they meant to do? Do another set featuring all Gen 5 Pokémon again? It'd get boring for fans. Hence, why the jump back to "old" Pokémon. Plus, I myself as I fan, am really looking forward since the start of the B//W expansions to seeing the "old" Pokémon done in the new card format.

I don't think the reason why they choose Mewtwo has anything to do with an upcoming game - I think it's more to do with its status in the fandom, as well as the fact that, if they're jumping back to featuring "old" Pokémon, why not open out with the main Legendary of the first Generation? Another reason why I don't think it's any kind of hint at Mewtwo's role in an upcoming game is because you have to remember that Mewtwo is only one of the two main Legendary Pokémon being featured in this new expansion - don't forget about Kyurem, it's being used to promote this new set too.

EDIT ~ Also, from previous news about these new sub-sets, we know that Mewtwo isn't the only pre-Gen 5 Pokémon being featured in the cards, also confirmed to appear in these sets are - Pikachu, Lucario and Meowth - and I'm sure that will mean the inclusion of Pichu, Raichi, Riolu and Persian and probably a whole host of Pokémon from all 5 Generations.

Last edited:
I dunno, but Mewtwo and new game make sense. They need to get Kanto somehow into gen 5, I say do it by way of a future Kanto, set in the time of BW, with a huge power upgrade for Mewtwo. As for the TCG, it still doesn't make sense, I mean Kyurem?

I have to continue to disagree - I don't think there's any connection between using Mewtwo to promote the TCG and any upcoming games - beyond the first set in a series - such as the first Ruby and Sapphire expansion, the first Diamond and Pearl expansion, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver and Black and White, they're never really used the cards to promote anything outwith the world of the TCG. I mean, think back to when they were peddling Delta Species - just because they're advertising it in the TCG, doesn't mean it's gonna become something more than a card.

I do respect the fact that Mewtwo is being featured on posters and CoroCoro doesn't usually do card stuff, but, at the same time, there's been a lot of changes to that arena since B//W - CoroCoro, if memory serves, did a few pages on the Cobalion/Terakion/Virizion decks in Japan, revealing all the cards in a two page spread and there was even a poster advertising them (not in CoroCoro obviously) - both the same as what Mewtwo is getting, but nothing more beyond cards came with that, so why is this time any different? They've always advertised the cards, both in and out of Japan, but it doesn't mean that there is gonna be any new games featuring the Pokémon in the advertisements - to continue on from my previous post, people need to remember that Mewtwo being featured is only one half of this set, the other is Kyurem - you can't take one without the other because, by way of the two sub-sets making one whole set (same as Black Collection and White Collection did), because they are both equal.

I honestly believe that they are simply using Mewtwo because of its meaning to the fandom to promote the upcoming TCG set and nothing more - even taking people's responses on this thread as an example - Mewtwo means a lot to the fans and it's making everyone jump to conclusions about new games, etc when there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they're even related. This is the point I tried to make in my previous post - Mewtwo is a well loved pre-Gen 5 Pokémon, perfect now that they are beginning to include pre-Gen 5 Pokémon in the new card sets to use to advertise the set because of its position among the fandom. I think people here are reading too much into simple promotion and advertisement tactics and are so desperate for a new game or any kind of news that they see every little thing as a secret hint at something more when it probably isn't. I mean, thinking on how many times that has happened in the past, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that's what's going on here.

EDIT ~ Also, as an addition to the first paragraph of this post, I'll agree that the TCG does often reflect game changes, but only, as far as I can see, with regards to main series games. Even then, it's only the once - like with Diamond and Pearl, they released the first TCG expansion not long after the games initial release. The TCG followed under the overall title of Diamond and Pearl, with the sets having a sub-title if you will. They stopped producing cards under the Diamond and Pearl title when Platinum came out, and the cards followed that. Same when HeartGold//SoulSilver cam out, the cards moved in the Legend series, with each of those sets coming under that overall title with the sets having unique sub-titles.
These new sub-sets featuring Kyurem and Mewtwo are labelled as being the third expansion in the Black and White TCG series - if they were promoting and attached to a new game, following suit with previous card sets, they wouldn't fall under the Black and White series, they'd fall under a new series named after the new game. So, it stands to reason, that this set has no connection to an upcoming game.

Last edited:
I find it kinda cool that the EX's are back. Triggers some nice memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom