• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro reveals new Pokémon Kiteruguma, Mimikkyu: Both have new Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
CoroCoro reveals new Pokémon Kiteruguma, Mimikkyu: Both have new Abilities

The latest issue of CoroCoro Comic has revealed two new Pokémon, Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu.

Continue reading...

Aaaaaand we're back to lousy designs (n)

Hopefully these two (and their evos) will be the bottom of this gen's barrel.

I can guarantee Mimikkyuu was designed by a 1-year baby. Yeah definitely.

As far as Pika-clones go (second one this generation) its pretty meta

I can guarantee Mimikkyuu was designed by a 1-year baby. Yeah definitely.
People keep making fun of its design but...that's the point. It's a wild Pokemon that made a Pikachu costume so I'm not sure what people are expecting lol.

Last edited:
It's a wild Pokemon that made a Pikachu costume so I'm not sure what people are expecting lol.
People like to complain for the sake of complaining.

There is honestly nothing wrong with this Pokemon. It has a simple, yet not too simple design and a cool backstory to go along with it rather than being cute for the sake of cuteness. And that typing! Very unique, I love it.

There is honestly nothing wrong with this Pokemon.

What? I could understand not being too bothered by this design -- perhaps you're not bothered by Pikaclones in general, or whatever -- but not seeing any problem with it at all?

We already have Pokemon which are very similar to Pikachu, every generation. But at least these mostly just share some common elements with Pikachu. They are in fact viable species on their own, they don't mean that the Pokemon world actually revolves around this one example of what we can call a common 'electric rodent' pattern to Pokemon. Even if we get tired of them, they make sense outside of the anime and its obsession with its mascot.

This is important, because people who find the anime shoddy or annoying like to be able to separate the world of Pokemon from that particular presentation of it.

Mimikkyuu stomps all over that. It only makes sense as a reference to Pikachu and its popularity. In fact, even worse, it only makes sense when you break the fourth wall about that: Pikachu isn't mentioned as a particularly popular Pokemon within the world of the anime or the games, it's just one species among many -- a status which Mimikkyuu's existence necessarily changes. We're talking about Pikachu suddenly becoming (or rather, suddenly being retconned into having always been) so popular in-universe that an entire species exists which mimics its appearance. Mimikkyuu: a Pokemon which by all indications is an everyday species and not some easily-relegated-to-myth Legendary is distorting the already difficult-to-plaster-together continuity of the Pokemon world. Surely you can see why people would be troubled by that?

We still don't know everything. There are some ways for Mimikkyuu to be salvaged. The big step, already a popular idea, would be for it to have similar forms for every Pokemon species, making it a sort of Ghost-Ditto. Its ability name hints at this being possible. That at least makes it more malleable (and actually, not that terrible a design apart from its base form), and lets us move on to rationalise why it might look like a Pikachu by default. There are a few options here as well: we already know that the Pichu line is present in Aloho, so perhaps Mimikkyuu attempts to blend in with them. Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom