• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Special reveals Combination Techniques: Bimonthly magazine showcases Black a

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
CoroCoro Special reveals Combination Techniques: Bimonthly magazine showcases Black and White ...

Information from the October 2010 issue of CoroCoro Special have begun to leak. The bimonthly extension of CoroCoro confirms a rumored feature called Combination Techniques. Certain attacks, such as the Generation V starters' signature moves Oath of Grass, Oath of Fire, and Oath of Water, can be paired with another to create certain effects during double or triple battles, similar to how Pokémon Contests work in the anime.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: CoroCoro Special reveals Combination Techniques: Bimonthly magazine showcases Bla

YES! I have been waiting for this for ages, and its finally been revealed!

Re: CoroCoro Special reveals Combination Techniques: Bimonthly magazine showcases Bla

Darn, kinda bummed about this actually. Oh well, maybe it will blow my mind and be awesome (hopes)

This is actually super awesome. They are obviously trying to make the games more realistic/more like the anime. If you use a certain water attack and electric attack together, it will destroy Pokemon. But this begs the question: why won't all or most attacks work together? Why do Oath of Fire and Grass make a sea of fire and not flame thrower and grass knot? Maybe thats not a good example but back to water and electricity: why won't they all work well together? Why do I get the feeling that only knew moves will gain this effect? Will all the old moves be left in the dust (assuming that most battles are triple battles)?

Edit:

Triple Finish...?

YES! I wanted this too happen extremely badly, so I'm really excited! Can't wait to see what other moves can be combined!

Am I the only one who finds this rather stupid? I suppose this is trying to attract interest in doubles/triples because nobody plays them outside of VGC.

Am I the only one who finds this rather stupid? I suppose this is trying to attract interest in doubles/triples because nobody plays them outside of VGC.

Yeah basically what I was going to say. I hope Nintendo spent time on the move tutors and breeding because that's really what I want improved, not some bullshit I'm going to use a few times in-game.

It's about time they buffered Double Battles, and now Triples Battles, even more. I had the feeling that they were so focused on the single battle aspect that the other kinds of fights were being phased away.

Not only is this a smart move concerning the new Triple Battle features, it seems appropriate along side some other decisions that will be made in B&W:

- Wild Double Battles are now possible.
- You have 2 rivals, opening up the gateway for Triple Battle skirmishes.

It's about time they buffered Double Battles, and now Triples Battles, even more. I had the feeling that they were so focused on the single battle aspect that the other kinds of fights were being phased away.

Agreed, V. The revelation of triples battles at first disappointed me, but all these new features and updates have left me more excited for them than I ever was for Double Battles - and luckily, they even get an update too.

Even those less excited for triple battles shouldn't worry too much. GameFreak has never gone through a new generation without introducing some sort of update for single battles. And even if the core mechanics don't change whatsoever, we'll undoubtedly get tons of new Egg and Move Tutor moves.

- You have 2 rivals, opening up the gateway for Triple Battle skirmishes.

Black AND Cheren AND Bel

VS.

[insert Plasma Admin here] AND [insert Plasma Boss here] AND [insert Plasma Admin here]

Oh hell yes.

More like vs. Cynthia, Steven, and Lance, m-i-rite?

I'm more sceptical about this than sceptical hippo was sceptical about everything.

Admittedly, those effects DO sound balanced and quite niche. But the whole idea seems very cryptic, involved and confusing to me. I don't know whether I like the idea of it or not yet. Plus, 'Oath of Grass'? Are we serious?

More like vs. Cynthia, Steven, and Lance, m-i-rite?

I'd rather save Steven for a Double Battle with Wallace.

It makes sense imo. Didn't they have attack combinations in the RSE contests? Not sure about DPPt ones as I didn't bother with them.

It makes sense imo. Didn't they have attack combinations in the RSE contests? Not sure about DPPt ones as I didn't bother with them.

No there wasn't any such thing.

No there wasn't any such thing.
Actually, you could use specific moves after another in the RSE games and earn more points.

Back on topic: Best idea so far that will massively affect the metagame. I like it.

But these options were rather limited. To make sense in a competitive setting, it should be practical and not require something incredibly precise and specific. That's why even those combos in contests were situational.

What do Oath of Grass/Fire/ and Water actually do?
Do they do damage on their own or will they just be something I'll have my Pokemon forget to make way for a HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom