• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

Why... ROCK type?

I was expecting this dog to be our next Lillipup, and it turns out it is our new Geodude...

The simplest reason is that GameFreak probably creates mechanical figures for the Pokemon before they ever start designing their actual appearances. So some time ago, someone probably said "we need a simple rock 'mon that the player can find here, here, and that place".

Then at another point someone (or more likely several someones, I am not privy to the inner workings of GameFreak) may have decided to go with a dog design for some reason. Probably, it will make more sense once we see what it evolves into and what moves it can learn.

I will admit I also initially assumed it would be a Normal type, or dualtype Normal/Something at most, just because the more overtly mammalian/real-world-analogue Pokemon often are (not always, of course).

I'm actually quite happy to be proven wrong though. Some more type diversity among early game 'mons (which these look like though I suppose they're not necessarily) can only be good, mind you it is a type we've seen before on this kind of Pokemon, but I think of it as an encouraging sign.

It could.

Would that be a first? I can't think of any Pokemon that gain Normal as a type upon evolution but I might just be blanking and it's a bit too specific to easily check Bulbaped.

Well duh Coro Coro was going to have Geodog in it. That dog is in the starting town which is likely to be shown off on Tuesday. Why didn't I think of that.

Interesting pokemon to say the least. I hearby petition that Nekkoala becomes Archaic's new avatar.

Iwakno could end up becoming this region's Shinx line; but instead of electric it would be rock instead. (Which is why I'm hoping for two evolutions). Nekkola, I think will remain Normal or become a Grass type for some reason with a single evolutionary stage.

"CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret"

Maybe a reference to Synchro evolution? Can't imagine what else it would refer to.
Any thoughts on Magearna's new ability and move: 'Soul Heart' and 'Furuuru Cannon' respectively?

Personally, I really like the Koala, about damn time we got one. Not interested in the dog: I dislike Pokemon designs that are basically common animals with a typing slapped on.

Does anyone else think that Nekkoala's drum is actually a short version of a rainstick? Hearing one of those can put you to sleep (or make you want to pee) if played with long enough. It makes sense and fits its description.

Calling it now, Nekkoala can learn Rain Dance!

I suspect Nekkoala will become Grass/part Grass when it evolves, judging by the log in its hands. And if it is Grass, if they call it Koaleaf or something like that, I will probably cry.
I'm going to caution against suspecting this too strongly only because flebebe exists.

So Geodog shares a secret with the starters? Alchemy evolution!

Any thoughts on Magearna's new ability and move: 'Soul Heart' and 'Furuuru Cannon' respectively?

A friend of mine said it's actually "Fleur Cannon" as in flower cannon, which makes sense after seeing its trading card art.

Oh my gosh! I wasn't expecting new Pokémon so soon! They are so adorable! :3 It only took 7 generations, but we finally got our koala 'mon!

That Koala is awesome. The dog... nice design, but I hope it has something that differentiates it from the other dogs, aside from it being rock type.

Edit: the rock type makes sense though, I will be disappointed if the dog doesn't learn at least one fire type move.

A friend of mine said it's actually "Fleur Cannon" as in flower cannon, which makes sense after seeing its trading card art.

Flower cannon?
latest

Lillymon would like a word.

In all seriousness though, I wonder why they would specifically use "Fleur"?

There is a description on Magearna's Soul Heart ability. But I need bigger scan to fully read what it says. From what I can squinted out of the text. It would raise Pokemon's Sp Atk under some condition.
Description also says that Fleur Cannon fires a super powerful beam.

"CoroCoro hints that Rowlet, Litten, Popplio and Iwanko all hide a secret"

Maybe a reference to Synchro evolution? Can't imagine what else it would refer to.

Personally, I really like the Koala, about damn time we got one. Not interested in the dog: I dislike Pokemon designs that are basically common animals with a typing slapped on.

Someone suggested alchemical symbols.

Rowlet - salt
Litten - sulfur
Popplio - mercury

Other than that, who knows. I can see it being Synchro Evolution though.

Back
Top Bottom