• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

I'm going to caution against suspecting this too strongly only because flebebe exists.

So Geodog shares a secret with the starters? Alchemy evolution!
Hopefully, the developers did not venture into that territory with their version of DigiXros... Fusion-mons are cool on paper, but nightmarish in reality. Imagine how imbalanced the metagame would be with a hybrid pseudo-legendary.

I kinda hope iwanko evolves into a rock/dark type disregarding the 4x weakness to fighting :3

Also I half expected Iwanko to be rock type because those things around its neck in its sprite looked like rocks at first but I brushed it off as something of my imagination but now I think those are rocks around its neck o_O:X3::giggle:

Edit: never mind those are pebbles with a fur collar surrounding its neck .... Possibly something to do with its evolution line...

Last edited:
I'm quite interested in those Ga-Ole QR codes. If someone posted one on the net, does that mean anyone could get the Magearna, or is it region-locked?

Well, I guess everything I said about Corocoro the past month was wrong, we got two new Pokemon today, including the dog from the Japanese trailer. The dog is pretty adorable, and I'm glad it's not a Normal type for once, because I feared it would be a Normal type based on the coloring. It seems to be a German Shepard based on a coloring, and though I would have rather have had a husky, I'm fine with this, though I do hope for a potential ice wolf this generation.

There's also the new koala Pokemon, which is okay, though I like the rock dog more, the dog just reminds me a lot of Poochyena, and I love Poochyena A LOT, it's my favorite Pokemon from this generation so far. Also, it and the three starters have a secret, wonder what it is though... The world may never know *insert Rowlet with a Tootsie Pop here*

I was hoping to avoid seeing new Pokémon, but as soon as I pop online my eyes are drawn to the BBN image off to the side of the screen... >_> Ah well. I didn't think I'd get too far anyway, and there's still plenty more for me to try and keep from seeing.

Anyways, I love these new additions! Both look fantastic and the typings are interesting for each, in my opinion. Can't wait to see what their evolutions hold! So far, the Alola Region is off to a very strong start!!

Hopefully, the developers did not venture into that territory with their version of DigiXros... Fusion-mons are cool on paper, but nightmarish in reality. Imagine how imbalanced the metagame would be with a hybrid pseudo-legendary.

Well they added mega form so might as well go for broke and take fusion too. I mean hey, they took Whisper from Youkai Watch to so all bets are off. All that,s left are pokemon raised from stone disk and we'll have Monster Rancher covered too.

So Solgaleo and Lunala have alternate forms Rising Phase and Full Moon Phase.

Better than Xerneas getting one while Yveltal gets shafted tbh.

Hm it seems they are going back to basics with the designs this time. At least, except for Litten and the legendaries/Magearna, the designs we've seen so far seem quite basic. Just the animal with some stuff added. Not saying this is a bad thing though, just mentioning it. With that said however, I do dislike the Koala because it seems too 'normal', too much like just a drawing of the real animal (same problem I have with Popplio). Absolutely loving the dog though, especially that it's Rock-type instead of Normal.

One thing that I might have heard is that Magearna's ability, Soul Heart, is apparently a Special Attack variation of Moxie.

So Solgaleo and Lunala have alternate forms Rising Phase and Full Moon Phase.

Better than Xerneas getting one while Yveltal gets shafted tbh.
That was barely a form. Also where are you getting the alternate forms?

Well they added mega form so might as well go for broke and take fusion too. I mean hey, they took Whisper from Youkai Watch to so all bets are off. All that,s left are pokemon raised from stone disk and we'll have Monster Rancher covered too.
They already have Kyurem for fusions.

Iwanko's design is a little vague but I'm getting more "Shiba Inu Puppy" vibes from it than any other possibilities. Evolutions will probably look more like regular Shiba.

Nekkoala crosses one of my trinity of Aussie Pokemon off my bucket list (along with a Kangaroo that looks more like a kangaroo than a dinosaur and a platypus that is unambiguously a platypus, unlike Psyduck).

So anybody want to take a whack at what they think the secret is revolving around the Starters and Iwanko is?

The simplest reason is that GameFreak probably creates mechanical figures for the Pokemon before they ever start designing their actual appearances. So some time ago, someone probably said "we need a simple rock 'mon that the player can find here, here, and that place".

Then at another point someone (or more likely several someones, I am not privy to the inner workings of GameFreak) may have decided to go with a dog design for some reason. Probably, it will make more sense once we see what it evolves into and what moves it can learn.

I will admit I also initially assumed it would be a Normal type, or dualtype Normal/Something at most, just because the more overtly mammalian/real-world-analogue Pokemon often are (not always, of course).

I'm actually quite happy to be proven wrong though. Some more type diversity among early game 'mons (which these look like though I suppose they're not necessarily) can only be good, mind you it is a type we've seen before on this kind of Pokemon, but I think of it as an encouraging sign.

From what I've read about interviews their design process is the opposite - they go through about a 1000 monsters, pick the ones with the best visual designs, and assign battle properties later. Though type can be an integral part of early visual design because they said the elemental types helped them envision Pokemon beyond pets, attack animals, and transportation.

So anybody want to take a whack at what they think the secret is revolving around the Starters and Iwanko is?
Synergy Burst, Mega Evolution, Iwanko acts as a pseudo-starter, or all four are Walking Pokemon with that feature re-introduced on a more limited scale from HGSS are the most popular theories I've seen.

I knew this month would be Corocoro's month of enlightenment. They finally stuck to their word, quite literally this time. Both new Pokémon are awesome and I'm excited to see there full lines. I wonder what this secret is that Iwanko and the starters hide though?

Just realised we finally got Sugimori art of Magearna! Only took four months, though I guess the Zygarde forms are still beating it at 9 months...

Also no bird reveal either. Guess we might be waiting for another month for that unless it shows up at E3.

Back
Top Bottom