• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

I'm reaching ( Because I have nothing else to do at this point) but maybe the S\M mascots are both based on those two wolves from Norse mythology
skoll-y-hati.jpg

I know everyone else has kind of moved on from the anger, but I haven't had a chance to say my piece yet because I just got on, so I'll say it and then move on too. I'm not angry at the fact that we didn't get information. I mean it's Game Freak's right to give information or not to. It's dumb not to give out information on a game you expect people to buy, but it's not like they are required to, so okay, they didn't tell us anything. What I am angry about, is stupid CoroCoro promising they will begin features this month and the 'feature' is just a two page spread of nothing, promising stuff next week. Like, that is borderline lying. That is just messed up. I'd have rather they promised nothing last week and had this announcement now. Oh my God, I don't even...

But whatever. I'm done ranting now.

As to the box art, I actually made my own 'enhanced' image in Photoshop last night by messing around with the levels, applying an unsharp mask and reducing noise, but it was late so I didn't post it then. It's pretty clear to me that there are flames on the Sun box, but you can't make out what is underneath at all. You definitely couldn't say it's quadrupedal or not. It's also clear that the "ray" of white is actually part of the box image, since you can see the flash glare after enhancements. So there's no way to really make out what is under it. It's literally not there to see.

Here's my 'enhanced' version.

pokeboxartenhanced.png

It's pretty clear to me that there are flames on the Sun box, but you can't make out what is underneath at all.
View attachment 99805

You mean the colours in the background, yes? Cuz I wouldn't call those flames yet (the same way, for example, there are flames in OR's box background.
I mean I don't want us to conclude it's Fire-type so easily yet (just in case).

Unless you mean:
upload_2016-4-12_22-52-15.png

cuz I originally thought those were flames too but that's just the Logo. :p

Is it just me, or..
Steeksleutel-300x201.jpg

I don't... get it.....?

Norse mythology makes sense since they kinda did use it for Yveltal, Xerneas, and Zygarde.
Perhaps that is how it all comes together like they said in the anniversary trailer....

Prediction for next month: silhouettes for the mascots. I pretty much had it with corocoro with it's overhyping of their news and the lies. Steel/Fairy as news is hardly news since we have Klefki as one already. It is becoming quite unreliable at times.

Lol, people, they didn't give us anything to work with besides Magearna typing. Stop digging up random stuff.:D

Norse mythology for the XY legendaries is a far from proven fan theory. In my opinion, that theory was dealt two major blows:

1)The new zygarde forms have nothing at all to do with a serpent, or any other yggdrasil animal.

2)The lack of a Z version for Zygarde to be a mascot of make Xern/Yve/Zyg less of a true trio, more of a legendary duo with a related but distinct Pokémon.

Add in the fact that the Yggdrasil animals are an eagle, SQUIRREL and serpent (which are linked to each other - the squirrel carries messages ), plus four deers/harts (which are not linked to the other three*), that the harts in questions are not symbols of life (they're the ones who devour the world-tree's leaves), that the eagle in question is the least death-related of the Yggdrasil animals (it's better known for knowledge), and the serpent in question is nowhere near a symbol of balance (it's the most evil of the lot, trying to gnaw at the roots to free the monsters trapped).

No, I think the Norse theory was overactive fan imagination from the start.

Especially given that the names Xerneas point directly at an alternative theory: Cernunnos, the Celtic horned god. The names have strong similarities, Cernunnos is thought to be a god of fertility and life, and has deer antlers (and is sometime outright depicted in the form of a deer). Yveltar doesn't have the name similarity, but the resemblance with the Celtic Morrigan (a goddess who appears to distribute death on the battlefield, and who often does so in the form of a crow) is again striking. And the two of them are two of the most iconic Celtic god, as opposed to Z-list filler that are essentially extras in a few Norse sagas.

Especially when one considers that most of the game take place in a region based on ancient celtic (but not ancient norse - the Normand were Christians) country, that most of the biggest events involving the legendaries in the game take place in a location based on Carnac, one of the menhir sites that are commonly (but wrongly) associated with celtic culture.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty safe bet that GameFreak took influence from many cultures in making the XY legendaries, that they have aspects of Celtic, Norse and Japanese or other Asian mythologies.

Norse mythology for the XY legendaries is a far from proven fan theory. In my opinion, that theory was dealt two major blows:

1)The new zygarde forms have nothing at all to do with a serpent, or any other yggdrasil animal.

No, I think the Norse theory was overactive fan imagination from the start.

Your points are good, and you're theory on the Celtics seems to hold some truth, but I wouldn't discount the Norse myths entirely. We still have the tree which is literally Xerneas, and Midgard ~ Zygarde... Okay not much, but I'm probably forgetting some stuff.
I pointed this out in another thread, but I'll say it again here, more seriously, and it surprises me that I haven't seen it before (even on Bulba's Origins):
Zygarde can be based on the Python from Greek legends, from wiki:
"the earth-dragon of Delphi, always represented in Greek sculpture and vase-paintings as a serpent."
and
" Apollo was said to have slain Python, a "drako" a serpent or a dragon who lived there and protected the navel of the Earth."
and, I didn't point this out before, but Delphi looks.... familiar too:
upload_2016-4-12_23-42-11.png

Gives me Carnac vibes....
and, related, when you google "apollo python thousand" (it's pretty specific but still), almost all results you get mention Apollo killing the Python using one Thousand Arrows. Now, we think Thousand Arrows is Zygarde's own move, so clearly they're mixing and matching, because in this, Zygarde... wouldn't be shooting arrows at itself? (I think?) From the anime we know Zygarde's core is related to the Sun as well (Apollo).

I know some of these things sound like they're stretching it, but.... I mean, things like the Thousand Arrows really gets to me. Sure, a thousand is a common number, and you use arrows to attack you foe, but what about Zygarde, by itself, looks like it's gonna shoot arrows? Also, though we have moves with "double" in their name, the two Thousand moves are the first two, and only, so far, to have a number in their name in that form. We haven't gotten Hundred anything before.
I think of it like, GF's sitting in a room, and they're talking about "Yo man what should we name this move which we're not gonna release in this game anyway?" (paraphrasing), I don't think the person who replies's first answer would be "Yo man Zygarde looks like it's related to thousands, and like shoots arrows from it's... You know, white crystal thing? So we should make it Thousand Arrows". Instead, I'd think at least one guy's probably heard of the legend, and would suggest it based on that. That seems more likely to me. And one could make a similar argument for the Norse stuff.
Anyway, so it's the small things like this that really get to me.

Anyway, as I was writing, she said it, but:
I think it's a pretty safe bet that GameFreak took influence from many cultures in making the XY legendaries, that they have aspects of Celtic, Norse and Japanese or other Asian mythologies.

Yes, this, basically. I think that's especially the case for XY and onwards: they may have visited France but also other places nearby, possibly many European countries, and they added their own twists and take on the different histories they encountered, and voila.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom