• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

Well I guess now's a good a time as any to speculate on May.
Hopes:
Box Mascots, Starters akin to the trademarks that have come up recently. Grass Bird needs to be a thing.
Expectations:
Either Mascot silhouettes, full shot of either Sun or Moon's Mascot, or half of both of them. This is based on how they're using the drip-drip style of news release, at least so far. It's not just CoroCoro doing this, either. Somehow I don't expect them to go all-in and reveal both of the Mascots just yet, unless they're revealed elsewhere. They promised us coverage of SM features to start in April and we got basically nothing, so CoroCoro is clearly not immune to lying to or at least misleading people.

Well I guess now's a good a time as any to speculate on May.
Hopes:
Box Mascots, Starters akin to the trademarks that have come up recently. Grass Bird needs to be a thing.
Expectations:
Either Mascot silhouettes, full shot of either Sun or Moon's Mascot, or half of both of them. This is based on how they're using the drip-drip style of news release, at least so far. It's not just CoroCoro doing this, either. Somehow I don't expect them to go all-in and reveal both of the Mascots just yet, unless they're revealed elsewhere. They promised us coverage of SM features to start in April and we got basically nothing, so CoroCoro is clearly not immune to lying to or at least misleading people.
Yeah, Corocoro always overhypes their news to draw people in. April news was not great as it only reveal Magearna's type that many have predicted to be. I am skeptical about the next month news but we may get the mascots. I am not expecting much to be honest.

When will CoroCoro come out this month? On the 15th again. It is a Sunday, maybe we get a mini clip at Pokeenchi. Introducing the Legendaries and Starters like the clip from XY:

Since we had to wait this dang long, I would like box legendaries and starters, and the professor and the player characters and some concept/map art, but that's probably hoping for too much. More likely we'll just get box legendaries though. *le sigh*

Since we had to wait this dang long, I would like box legendaries and starters, and the professor and the player characters and some concept/map art, but that's probably hoping for too much. More likely we'll just get box legendaries though. *le sigh*

Well, not sure about Starters and Professor, but I think we at least deserve a game play trailer which shows us the player characters and some map areas anyway. What we got in XY's intro trailer was enough to have a basic idea of the Kalos region, even without a map.
Pls TPCi pls. We need at least one real trailer before E3.
Screenshots of this trailer should be shown in CoroCoro, but of course, I'm hoping the trailer itself is released before CoroCoro is.

If we actually got information this month, we would have had the box legendaries, the starters and the player characters, but we only just got the logos again and Magearna's typing. I feel like the past year has been a very slow period for Pokemon news. They better have a lot of information next month.

*sighs* 23 more days until the next Corocoro comes out, another 23 more days of no news or updates, just the same things as always: Pure speculation. Hopefully we get news soon.

Last edited:
I'm keeping my expectations low just as I have done before. The most I expect is the box art images being revealed and probably the mascot legendaries along with it. I don't expect much else than that.

I wouldn't mind if they bypassed Corocoro and released the news themselves way before Corocoro has it for SM. Like the 5th of every month they do a site update and the Corocoro on the 15th just repeats it. They have the resources (Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, the official site) to do it and it makes sense that we should get news from them first, not from a random Japanese magazine that happened to leak before their site updates (14th/15th).

I get people like Corocoro and I do too, but I think it's time they changed their schedule up a bit more to make more sense than letting a Japanese magazine beat them to their own news every month when they have a new game coming. Although given that they've gone this many years letting it happen I guess they don't really care about it.

I still think we'll get the mascots before Corocoro next month though. But guess we'll have to wait and see.

We also got Magearna's typing.

That's not a lot to those who expected something big, but that's their own fault.

To be fair, they did claim that Sun/Moon coverage was going to start with that issue, so I don't blame fans for thinking that there was going to be something more than just Magearna's type in that issue.

I would like a ton of information after waiting all this time, but that might be expecting too much at this point. I'm pretty confident that we'll get the new Legendary box Pokemon given that they flashed the boxes at us with the previous issue. I'm hoping for at least the starters to be included along with them. While getting just the box artwork with the new Legendary Pokemon would be better than something like confirming Magearna's obvious type combination, it would also be a bit too small for their first real scoop on the game. That would have been fine as a nice tease for this issue, but I'd like a larger amount of news after all this waiting. I'd really like to see the new playable characters, the new rivals and a name for the new region as well, but that would definitely be too much. As long as we get the new starters, I'll be happy. That's my main hope since I want to see what choices we'll have, speculation on their evolved forms and fanart of all of the starter Pokemon coming together to welcome the new trio.

I actually miss the days of waking up to CoroCoro and seeing something like this.

It seems that these days are gone. With mass media being leaky, porosity is at its best. Waiting for the 11th for CoroCoro? Don't bother, cos "websites" and "tweets" will have leaked/spread stuff already. It's too bad, because I miss the drive and surprise of seeing something new in a magazine. This is not to be nostalgic about CoroCoro/the past; this is just to express regret about the "media" turn and how it has affected Pokemon.

I don't like this whitewashing of news. I want surprise, at random, on some morning. Not too keen on how media has affected Pokemon either. I feel that this media turn has affected Pokemon for the worst, whitewashing its material and content for the sake of simplicity and being "on the go," whatever this means. I kinda long for the D/P days, when social media was not much of a correlate for Pokemon production. I wonder if social media is that which has been downplaying Pokemon games/content for the past several years? What happened? Why is Pokemon no longer about drives and fulfilling the (apparently long gone?) thirst for surprise?

I think that whatever has been happening to Pokemon is rooted in the media turn...There's whitewashing going on. It's going on in two places: the content of the games (see X/Y) and the emotions surrounding Pokemon players. It seems that Game Freak or whoever is in charge of producing Pokemon surprises no longer care for, and about, surprises: it seems that they just want money. Surely money has always been at the core of Pokemon production, but what happened to Masukippa-ness? Hikari-ness? It seems that these days are over, simply waiting for cash and nothing else. "On to the next one!" Bitch u ain't getting my coins...If I ain't moved emotionally by news, I won't be buying your products.

I want surprises that fulfill my desires. No more whitewashing. I want love to be put into advertising and commerciality for Pokemon. As long as the Pokemon powers don't pour their love in their work -- for me and other similar players -- I ain't gonna be happy. I need to be pleased, so my emotions and drives are tied with how the Pokemon powers handle Pokemon.

I know Pokemon is about becoming, change and transformation, but I want surprises that are about drives. There's something in my body that's telling me to want this over the "Pokemon is constantly changing" approach.

I get people like Corocoro and I do too, but I think it's time they changed their schedule up a bit more to make more sense than letting a Japanese magazine beat them to their own news every month when they have a new game coming. Although given that they've gone this many years letting it happen I guess they don't really care about it.

I still think we'll get the mascots before Corocoro next month though. But guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree. Pokemon is much bigger now. But I guess GF & TPC must have something to benefit from keeping information solely in CoroCoro until after the issue officially hits shelves.

As for the mascots, if I recall this month's CoroCoro did give the impression that it may not be the first place we hear information from. Mascots don't usually get revealed in CoroCoro.

To be fair, they did claim that Sun/Moon coverage was going to start with that issue, so I don't blame fans for thinking that there was going to be something more than just Magearna's type in that issue.

I could make a massive post about this, but honestly it's disheartening to write.
tl;dr - People constantly complaining about it is the source of my flippancy on the subject.

I would like a ton of information after waiting all this time, but that might be expecting too much at this point. I'm pretty confident that we'll get the new Legendary box Pokemon given that they flashed the boxes at us with the previous issue. I'm hoping for at least the starters to be included along with them. While getting just the box artwork with the new Legendary Pokemon would be better than something like confirming Magearna's obvious type combination, it would also be a bit too small for their first real scoop on the game. That would have been fine as a nice tease for this issue, but I'd like a larger amount of news after all this waiting. I'd really like to see the new playable characters, the new rivals and a name for the new region as well, but that would definitely be too much. As long as we get the new starters, I'll be happy. That's my main hope since I want to see what choices we'll have, speculation on their evolved forms and fanart of all of the starter Pokemon coming together to welcome the new trio.

I'm hoping next month we'll get something huge too. It's been 2 month since the announcements now, and we're still utterly blank apart from concept arts, and a wire model. We need something.

I no longer trust corocoro after the constant overhype that it does. However I think we are getting the mascots next issue since we have seen the boxes for Sun and Moon.

I could make a massive post about this, but honestly it's disheartening to write.
tl;dr - People constantly complaining about it is the source of my flippancy on the subject.

That makes sense. While I do think that the complaints about this issue is more understandable, constant complaining is annoying and frustrating, so I can definitely understand where you're coming from in that regard.

Lufenian said:
I'm hoping next month we'll get something huge too. It's been 2 month since the announcements now, and we're still utterly blank apart from concept arts, and a wire model. We need something.

Many people have said that the May issue is where they tend to start having huge scoops for the games, so hopefully that will happen here. We definitely need something on the games. We've had practically nothing more months, so some new Pokemon, new player characters and maybe some small details about the storyline would be extremely welcomed at this point.

I wouldn't mind if they bypassed Corocoro and released the news themselves way before Corocoro has it for SM. Like the 5th of every month they do a site update and the Corocoro on the 15th just repeats it. They have the resources (Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, the official site) to do it and it makes sense that we should get news from them first, not from a random Japanese magazine that happened to leak before their site updates (14th/15th).

Completely agree. They should really exploit the variety of the social media and deliver news over youtube, twitter, faceboo etc etc. Whatever works for them!

I like CoroCoro but the franchise gorw over it and should do stuff on their own. I assume CC pays them well but still they can keep some small revelations ( new pokes and couple of mega's for each CC outing) but not the majority of information.

To be fair, they did claim that Sun/Moon coverage was going to start with that issue, so I don't blame fans for thinking that there was going to be something more than just Magearna's type in .

^This.

I agree with those saying that media has changed, and Pokemon needs to change with it. As much as I love Coro Coro, and the nostalgia of getting hyped every month in pre-release season around the 10th, hitting Refresh on Pokejungle every few hours waiting for news to drop and sharing the anticipation with other fans...we now live in a world of global releases and social media. It *is* kind of silly that we're still waiting on a Japanese kids magazine to break news for us. I want surprise trailers dropped on Youtube with no warning. Or Pokemon Directs scheduled with only a week's notice. Or the Twitter/FB account telling us to go check the website because it has updated with news.

^This.

I agree with those saying that media has changed, and Pokemon needs to change with it. As much as I love Coro Coro, and the nostalgia of getting hyped every month in pre-release season around the 10th, hitting Refresh on Pokejungle every few hours waiting for news to drop and sharing the anticipation with other fans...we now live in a world of global releases and social media. It *is* kind of silly that we're still waiting on a Japanese kids magazine to break news for us. I want surprise trailers dropped on Youtube with no warning. Or Pokemon Directs scheduled with only a week's notice. Or the Twitter/FB account telling us to go check the website because it has updated with news.

You know what would be AMAZING?

Pokemon Directs....every month. They don't have to be long, or substantial, but every month we get a video talking about something about the upcoming games. New feature, returning features, new Pokemon, even some mild story/character coverage.

Back
Top Bottom