• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

Marowak ghost typing could be a reference to how it was the ghost in Gen I who died to protect its baby Cubone from team rocket.

Marowak ghost typing could be a reference to how it was the ghost in Gen I who died to protect its baby Cubone from team rocket.
Apparently it became Ghost/Dark to fend off its natural predators. Which could equate to an equally dark backstory considering why Cubone wears its mother's skull.

Apparently it became Ghost/Dark to fend off its natural predators. Which could equate to an equally dark backstory considering why Cubone wears its mother's skull.
I know, dear, I translated that one around the same time Serebii posted it. I'm just saying the reason they throw in the Ghost type might be a reference to the original game.

CpbgimoWAAArLV6.jpg:large

Anyone who doesn't think this concept is equally amazing, scary and funny idk what to say. Death by sandcastle!

It's basically a Ghost sandcastle version of Trapinch :D

Exeggcute begs to differ with you here. We're only shown an Alolan Exeggutor, and in the Japanese trailer, it showed Exeggcute evolving without any modifications. Then again, the trailer is edited... Though if I'm honest, I wouldn't be surprised either way.
Logically there should be an Alolan Persian--if Meowth's type was changed due to breeding, why would it revert to normal type as a Persian? There's probably a pure Fire Cubone as well--all the other Alolan variants that had complete type changes also had their basic stage change type.

Anyone who doesn't think this concept is equally amazing, scary and funny idk what to say. Death by sandcastle!

I'm guessing Arena Trap is a probable Ability, and of course it will learn Sand Tomb.

Even though sandcastles can be taken out by waves water can also help strengthen the sand since wet sand is the best to make a sandcastle with, so maybe Water Absorb? Or a new Ability that works like that but boosts Defense.

I said last night that it seems like such an obvious idea in hindsight that I'm surprised nobody thought of it before, but you know, the more that I think about it, the more that I feel like that's doing it a real disservice. It is actually a fiendishly clever and not-very-obvious-at-all idea. I am just amazed, and very happy because it is exactly the kind of weirdo Pokémon that I was hoping for; the kind that a lot of other people hate but always end up as my favorites.

all the other Alolan variants that had complete type changes also had their basic stage change type.

Not Exeggcute, unless I'm not understanding you correctly...?

Logically there should be an Alolan Persian--if Meowth's type was changed due to breeding, why would it revert to normal type as a Persian? There's probably a pure Fire Cubone as well--all the other Alolan variants that had complete type changes also had their basic stage change type.
The only problem is that it still doesn't account for Exeggcute, who's not confirmed to have an Alola Form at this present time - and we have no idea how Alolan Exeggutor are obtained. Saying all the other Alola Forms that had complete type changes had their basic stage change type is a huge stretch right now considering we've only seen two, maybe three total instances of that between the 5 Pokemon families represented in Alolan Form. I'm sorry if I'm focusing too much on that Japanese trailer there, but for now, we can't really say anything about it until it's confirmed otherwise - it's curious that they would reveal two full families of Alola Forms and only reveal parts of them for three others...

I'm surprised that Bewear has a pre-evolved form since I thought it would be a standalone Pokemon, but it's pre-evolution is pretty cute. It looks like a huggable teddy bear and the fact that it doesn't want the attention despite what Bewear wants is a nice touch. The new fish Pokemon is neat, but I liked it more when I thought that it's form change was an evolution. It's not a bad form change, but when we already have Alola forms, a form change for a brand new Pokemon seems a bit much.

I'm a bit mixed on a the sand castles. Design wise, they don't do much for me, but I do like the Ground/Ghost type combination, so they're at least unique and interesting. They might grow on me after awhile though.

Alola Meowth has a nice shade of blue, but it doesn't really wow me either. I am curious to see how Team Rocket's Meowth will react to seeing a Dark type Meowth in the next series. Fire/Ghost Marowack is pretty awesome though and the Ghost type in particular fits quite nicely with it. I suspect that Cubone is a Fire type in Alola. I know that they revealed Exeggutor without its pre-evolved form, but I don't think a Ground type would evolve into a Fire/Ghost type.

I'm just happy that we do have an evil team with this generation. With all of the other changes they've been making, I was a bit worried that we wouldn't have any evil team to deal with. Team Skull looks pretty cool. The character designs look nice and I'm curious to see what their goal is in the games.

I'm especially curious about Rockruff's secret evolution. Rockruff is one of my favorite Alola Pokemon, so learning about its secret and the connection it has with the Alola starters sounds awesome.

The only problem is that it still doesn't account for Exeggcute, who's not confirmed to have an Alola Form at this present time - and we have no idea how Alolan Exeggutor are obtained.
We do, actually. The Japanese trailer where Alola forms make their debut shows a regular Exeggcute evolving into Alolan Exeggutor.

I'm guessing Arena Trap is a probable Ability, and of course it will learn Sand Tomb.

Even though sandcastles can be taken out by waves water can also help strengthen the sand since wet sand is the best to make a sandcastle with, so maybe Water Absorb? Or a new Ability that works like that but boosts Defense.

Yeah I put Arena Trap and Water Absorb in my blog predictions, so I definitely agree with you on those choices. They would actually make it completely unique from Golurk too, which is something I am somewhat worried about - them being too similar , at least stat-wise. Even something like Hydration could work potentially, but it's not as useful as the other two.

Definitely excited to see what they give it, but Sand Force is probably going to be one of its three/two abilities knowing Game Freak.

All we need is Komala to evolve into a drop bear and Alola is confirmed to secretly be Australia. That or any island with animals is a sign for instant death.
Yep. My best bet for Alolan Persian is Dark/Fairy.

Maybe a speed based ability? Whenever hit with a water type move it loses some defence but gains speed as it starts to lose bulk from the water wasging away the sand.
The only problem is that it still doesn't account for Exeggcute, who's not confirmed to have an Alola Form at this present time - and we have no idea how Alolan Exeggutor are obtained. Saying all the other Alola Forms that had complete type changes had their basic stage change type is a huge stretch right now considering we've only seen two, maybe three total instances of that between the 5 Pokemon families represented in Alolan Form. I'm sorry if I'm focusing too much on that Japanese trailer there, but for now, we can't really say anything about it until it's confirmed otherwise - it's curious that they would reveal two full families of Alola Forms and only reveal parts of them for three others...
Alolan Exeggcutor is still Grass so why change exeggcute when its perfectly viable as a preevo? Its the more drastic changes that would require entire lines to have differences, and the only reason Cubone and Persian could be hidden js cause those are the Alolan species' with more drastic changes. For example, it looks like Alolan Marowak has a footprint from another Pokemon on its Skullcap, what if Cubone is now pure ghost cause its too traumatized to battle, and its being protected by its mother's spirit? Would be a better surprise then Marowak in a darker shade and flames on its bones, that's for sure.

Not Exeggcute, unless I'm not understanding you correctly...?
You aren't understanding correctly. I said that every Alolan variant that had undergone complete type changes also had their basic stages changed. Exeggcutor didn't go through a complete type change, hence Exeggcute not being a variant.

How can you not LOVE the sandcastle monster?! Ground/Ghost is an incredibly cool typing and the basis for its design is so simple yet so developed.

The walls between the arrow loops on his castle tower-arms ARE FUCKING FINGERS! He's goofy and creepy all in one. He's all but a lock on my team for Moon.

How can you not LOVE the sandcastle monster?! Ground/Ghost is an incredibly cool typing and the basis for its design is so simple yet so developed.

The walls between the arrow loops on his castle tower-arms ARE FUCKING FINGERS! He's goofy and creepy all in one. He's all but a lock on my team for Moon.

According to Serebii, the pre-evolution is a grudge that inhabits sand, and the larger sandcastle pulls Pokémon into itself and absorbs their life force, and then the grudges of those Pokémon become more of the little sandcastles. This thing is so brilliant, I swear.

According to Serebii, the pre-evolution is a grudge that inhabits sand, and the larger sandcastle pulls Pokémon into itself and absorbs their life force, and then the grudges of those Pokémon become more of the little sandcastles. This thing is so brilliant, I swear.
Yep, people should not be judging basing on designs alone. That's what happened with Mimikyu.

Here's my thoughts on the new CoroCoro leaks:
  • Sunabaa and Shirodesuna: The Ground/Ghost typing is very unique. Apparently, Sunabaa used to be a pure Ground-type before some scared kid impaled it with a shovel, giving it an outright part-Ghost-type instead of completely dying. It sounds like something out of classic cartoon violence, and I love it! Also, I think it fits in nicely with Shirodesuna's concept of sucking out the life force of the living to creat an army of sand zombies. It's trying to get its revenge on the child who almost killed it!
  • Yowashi is a pure Water-type that has two forms: a single form and a School form. While it looks like the School form might fit the bill as Yowashi's evo instead of a form, I've always wanted to see what Game Freak would do with a concept like a bug swarm or a school of fish being represented by a single Pokemon. I wonder how the form change will activate.
  • Nuikoguma was pretty shocking, as I thought Bewear would be a stand-alone like many others did. What's even more interesting is that it's popular and hates being touched, unlike its evolution that loves hugging others and is feared. I have a feeling that the personality change from Nuikoguma to Bewear has to do with the philosophy of not appreciating what you have until it's gone. If so, then the concept behind this evolutionary line is genius!
  • Alolan Meowth: So, Alolan royalty bred the Meowth line and spoiled it to the point of it becoming a pure Dark-type self-indulged brat? I can get behind that! Also, many members see this design as an underwhelming recolor of Meowth. My response to this is: what did you expect? The only thing that separates this breed from its Normal-type cousins is the fact that they were pampered way too much! That doesn't really lead to much need for a drastic change from a Darwinian point of view, so I'm willing to accept the minimal design change due to its backstory.
  • Alolan Marowak: Now with this design for a Fire/Ghost Marowak, I can agree that Game Freak could have done a little more with it. I like its design for what it is though, especially with its new fire dancer shaman vibe that it gives off. It's partial Ghost typing seems to be a nice nod to the Mother Marowak in the Kanto games. However, the main problem I have with it is that its description about adapting to fight of enemies seem a bit too generic, and it doesn't seem to account for why it underwent the change from a Ground-type to a Fire/Ghost dual type. Maybe it'll make more sense when the official site updates. Perhaps the type change involves invoking the power of the Marowak ancestry?
I don't have much to say about Team Skull other than the fact that they don't look like stereotypical pirates like their name suggest they would be. In fact, they look like one of those reality show archeologists that search for the riches and fame. Actually, that would be a nice change of pace for an evil team. They aren't out to snag the legendaries; they just want the treasure that said legendaries happen to guard. I want this concept to be in Sun and Moon so badly right now!

Back
Top Bottom