• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

I agree, hopefully they won't be exclusive and it's some sort of mistranslation. Maybe that will be clarified in tomorrow's trailer.

While I would be satisfied having Midday form as I like both designs, I would /prefer/ Midnight form ;-;.
If that's the case I'll send my Sun Version of Rockruff to Moon to evolve it and send it back vise versa to get both forms.

I mentioned it elsewhere....but is it possible that the Sun and Moon logos are misleading in the sense that they're just showing off the Pokemon you'll be more likely to get if you play during the day like most people?

I mean for people who don't play into the night (which is probably a majority, especially considering many of the players will be kids) then these evolutions may as well be version exclusives.

I just can't really understand how Rockruff is going to evolve into a werewolf in the middle of the day just because it's in Pokemon Moon.

I agree, i mean look at raticate and gumshoos, they are night day pokemon and at first it was kinda unknown if they were version exclusive... but they did happen to be totem pokemon wise.
as for if rockruff's is exclusive, i bet it won't evolve during the time its not suppose to.

I do wonder if rockruff is exclusive (though i really hope not) because they are not clear in the announcement about it. they just show night/day colors and version logos.

Edit,

wait, maybe both are available in the games, but only if you have legendary of the version with you.

the first scan says -
"The name of the Pokémon Rockruff evolves into is Lugarugan and has a different appearance based on if it evolves in Day or in Night. It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power, it becomes the Midnight Form. No types or further details have been given"

the second scan says-
" In it, it shows the Midday Form being obtained in Pokémon Sun and the Midnight Form being obtained in Pokémon Moon. It also says that Midday Form has a move called AccelRock, which is a priority move, while Midnight Form has got the move Counter."

Last edited:
Hm, it doesn't say clearly, if the evos are indeed version specific. Yes, the legendaries may play a role. But it might also be just time dependent. I'm still hoping for time dependency alone, which might lead to a "pseudo-version exclusive" pokemon, if you play solely during day or nighttime. Yep, I'm waiting for further information. Or I will check out how precisely the evolutions work when I have my game.

I also feel like making them version exclusives rather than time exclusives kinda ruins the whole concept of the Pokemon. (or at the very least it neuters the Pokemons potential)

If it is supposed to be based off the Werewolf myth. Then it makes sense for the Pokemon to be a regular wolf during the day and become a werewolf at night. By making the evolutions version exclusive it gets in the way of this idea. So you have a world in which Rockruff just turns into a werewolf and a world where he becomes a regular wolf....you lose out on that "Human"/Wolfman dynamic.

I still feel like there's a break down in communication somewhere.

I'm generally pretty easy going when it comes to things Gamefreak does, but something like this would irk me. As someone else has stated, if I'm going to use a Pokemon I prefer to raise it myself....I don't want a Pokemon from somebody else. (unless it's to breed it, fill my pokedex or it's a legendary)

It's actually fine being separate forms and not switching back and forth imo. The two are likely going to have different moves, types and maybe even stats. Having to constantly adjust its moveset every 12 hours when it changes back to the other form would be a worse idea and more annoying than it not fitting a werewolf concept 100%. Sometimes game mechanics should be prioritised above inspiration's accuracy and I think this is one of them.

(Although I do think they should just be time-based rather than version-based, so hopefully it's cleared up tomorrow.)

From the CoroCoro thread:

Serebii isn't the only source out here, we have our own translators ;)

If that's the case then this translation doesn't make sense: "It notes that Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power, it becomes the Midnight Form."

What happens if it's "bathed in the rays of the sun" in Pokemon Moon? (as in during the day in-game) Does it just not evolve? That's weird.

Version exclusive evolution, huh, guess, I'm stuck with the edgelord werehog. I was only considering the line for ny team, but i'm not the kind to plan a whole team.

Already over it. NEXT NEWS!

Hmm.

If this is true then I'm really disappointed in Gamefreak.....and surprised. It takes a lot for Gamefreak to actually annoy me but they have today.

In the case of Lugarugan I'm not particularly worried since I was already planning on getting Moon and I prefer it's night form. I'm more worried about the precedent this might set for other Pokemon. As it stands everything I've seen is pointing me strongly towards getting Moon....but if an evolution exclusive to Sun appears that I fall in love with....it's really going to put a strain on my version decision.

The only saving grace will be if it works similar to Scatterbug in that Rockruff from a particular version always evolve into their respective form.

Well I know people are going to complain when I say this, but if you want a specific version and something evolves in the other one then trade it to someone to evolve for you and then trade back. We have plenty of people in the trading section who will help out - heck I'm going to be playing Sun and if people on here with Moon wanted to quickly evolve something for a Sun evolution and then trade it back I don't mind doing it. Sure it's not the ideal scenario, but some of the evolution mechanics have always been that way.

Are we sure it's implying they're version exclusive, or implying that they're easily obtainable depending on the version? For example if you have Sun you will more than likely get midday form than midnight form because it's mostly day in that version, and you'll more than likely get midnight it Moon version since it's mostly night.

That would be the best case scenario, but I believe it says they are "limited" to either Sun/Moon. It's kinda silly they would implement a different time feature between versions and then make this locked to version rather than time, but hey it's still Game Freak afterall.

Just a reminder, Lugarugen and UB-02 likely won't be in tomorrow's trailer if we follow past precedent for the Sun and Moon CoroCoro Pokemon being revealed in trailers towards the end of the month. Keep the hope alive for Starter Evos tomorrow.

That would be the best case scenario, but I believe it says they are "limited" to either Sun/Moon. It's kinda silly they would implement a different time feature between versions and then make this locked to version rather than time, but hey it's still Game Freak afterall.

I don't see evolution formes being version exclusive. I'm 90% sure they showcased it that way because of the 12 hour time difference. More of an if you're play Sun and your friend is playing Moon and both of your Rockruff evolve at the same time you'll get a different form.

Here's the thing, Knightwolf. We have several night players who are gonna end up playing Moon in the day hours and Sun in the night hours. Even if it were a time-based evolution, that doesn't cover all the nocturnals who are playing either version.

That is kind of dumb and unorthadox, which is why I don't buy it. Where does it specifically "exclisive" or "limited"? I was hyped for these two but now it pisses me off that now I don't have a choice. And I don't want to trade, I want to use the dang Rockruff in MY game, not rely on anybody else to get it.

Here's the thing, Knightwolf. We have several night players who are gonna end up playing Moon in the day hours and Sun in the night hours. Even if it were a time-based evolution, that doesn't cover all the nocturnals who are playing either version.

You can easily plan out when you want your Rockruff to evolve depending on your version. It's not that hard.

Last edited:
That is kind of dumb and unorthadox, which is why I don't buy it. Where does it specifically "exclisive" or "limited"? I was hyped for these two but now it pisses me off that now I don't have a choice. And I don't want to trade, I want to use the dang Rockruff in MY game, not rely on anybody else to get it.

You can use the Rockruff from your game, just swap it to someone else when you want it to evolve. It would be exaclty how Alakazam, Gigalith, Electivire etc work if you did it like that.

And bottom right of this page apparently says "サン限定進化" which means "evolution limited to Sun".

But I suppose we should just wait for the press release, likely tomorrow, to clear it up. Everyone calm down and don't make any hasty decisions :p

I don't see evolution formes being version exclusive. I'm 90% sure they showcased it that way because of the 12 hour time difference. More of an if you're play Sun and your friend is playing Moon and both of your Rockruff evolve at the same time you'll get a different form.

Hopefully it's just unclear and they are day/night based yeah. They seem to be treating the day/night changes like actual version differences like with Drifloon and Misdreavus, so it's possible (even though I think you would still encounter Drifloon in Day in Moon despite it being shown in Day in Sun). It could be that they are thinking everyone is going to be playing during real-life daytime and marketing it that way.

You can use the Rockruff from your game, just swap it to someone else when you want it to evolve. It would be exaclty how Alakazam, Gigalith, Electivire etc work if you did it like that.

And bottom right of this page apparently says "サン限定進化" which means "evolution limited to Sun".

But I suppose we should just wait for the press release, likely tomorrow, to clear it up. Everyone calm down and don't make any hasty decisions :p

Hopefully it's just unclear and they are day/night based yeah. They seem to be treating the day/night changes like actual version differences like with Drifloon and Misdreavus, so it's possible (even though I think you would still encounter Drifloon in Day in Moon despite it being shown in Day in Sun). It could be that they are thinking everyone is going to be playing during real-life daytime and marketing it that way.
This Rockruff evolution controversy has rustled everyone's jimmys :confused: People are taking it too personally. We haven't even received their Types yet. I agree that trading is a cinch. It is not that hard.

I don't think people are taking it personally, but I do think no one should get annoyed or decide to switch versions etc until we have clear outright confirmation on how it works. It could just be really clunky and unintentional wording. Some people still aren't sure about Drifloon and Misdreavus and we had those in the trailer, so it's not like similar things haven't happened recently.

I don't really mind if the Rugarugan forms are version exclusive.

I was iffy on them anyways. But the new poses did make me like them a bit more. I do prefer the midday form better though.

Just though of another problem with this. Like TouyaShiro said, some people have schedule's that cause them to not be abel to play during the day, so Moon version is helpful in that department, but if these evolutions are version exclusive, but can only evolve during day and night. Nobody will have the chance to evolve it at all. Cause if they can only play at night and have Moon, you'll mostly be playing during the day, not having a chance to evolve Rockruff at all, and vice versa for Sun.

Back
Top Bottom