• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

So, in regards to supposedly Shirudavi's ability, do you guys think it will be able to change it's type with the plates like Arceus or it will be with something completely different?

Honestly I agree, Alola forms are starting to feel a little forced. Some of them are less "let's take a Pokemon that would realistically adapt in this environment and change it accordingly" and more "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH THIS GEN I POKEMON!!!1!".

I think Alolan forms only for Gen 1 Pokemon is forced. =/

I know. It just seems that with the Mega Evoution ban for VGC, but the fact that Alolan Forms are allowed and the signature Z-Crystals being for Kanto-only 'mons so far makes it seem that they're shoving Kanto down our throats.

Before, I was only annoyed at the Kanto favoritism since they actually gave most of the Alolan forms good distribution to the more ignored Gen I 'mons in ways that made sense. However, with Alolan Grimer and Alolan Muk that seems like there's very little change aside from Grimer looking like Guzma, I'm starting to think that Game Freak really is trying too hard to pander to Kanto nostalgia. At least Moewth's minimal change has to do with the fact that it was an attitude change due to its ancestors being spoiled by the old royal family of Alola. This however... I can't even think of a good explanation for this. I'm willing to bet that this won't even have a backstory similar to Alolan Raichu, which I thought of as a one-off joke by Game Freak or that an explaination for it would become an in-game sidequest.

The only thing that could save this line at this point would be if this line is both given a good reason for this change and that Alolan Muk has a drastic change that makes it different from being jsut a recolor of the classic Muk. I expect the backstory, if there is any, to be related to Team Skull due to Alolan Grimer resembling Guzma.

We can only hope that shwoing Kanto-only Alolan Forms are just for promotional reasons and that non-Kanto Alolan Forms will show up in the actual game.

Agreed with this wholeheartedly, as the Alolan forms are so far my least favorite thing about Gen 7, primarily due to what has been done with them so far. The Kantalola Pokemon (as I like to call them) just only seem to exist to pander to the Genwunner crowd, which causes problems for people like me who didn't grow up with Gen 1 during it's original release (I came into the franchise late Gen 2 and grew up primarily with Gen 3 and 4), and this is a problem for me because I don't feel as nostalgic for Gen 1 like I do other generations. Plus most of the Kantalola Pokemon make no sense in a scientific sense. The only ones I even like are Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales, not simply because Ninetales is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon, but because they make the most sense in a real world context since they're supposed to be invoking arctic foxes. Alolan Marowak I like a bit more than other Kantalola Pokemon because it's at least an interesting callback to the Ghost Marowak from the Gen 1 games.

The other Alolan forms, on the other hand, either make no sense in a scientific context or are just there for looks, like Sandshrew and Sandslash being ice types, which makes no sense because the animals they're based on (armadillos and pangolins) live in tropical climates and have no evolutionary relatives that live in cold climates. Alolan Meowth is literally just a black Meowth that's a Dark type, you could literally replace it with Purrloin and nothing would change, Alolan Exeggutor is a joke and is only part Dragon type because of an obscure plant reference (the plant family "Dracaena") that has literally nothing to do with dragons at all (though on the upside, it at least gave us a funny meme), and Alolan Raichu is... well, at least they did something with Raichu for once rather than giving Pikachu and Pichu all the attention, so points for that.

Overall, I find them to be pretty much pointless and gimmicky, since unlike Mega Evolutions, they don't really add or change anything to the Pokemon species itself, they're just there for the sake of being there and overall feel more aesthetic rather than actually having any likely value in the metagame, since all they are is just pallete-swaps like how in a traditional JRPG like Dragon Quest where you go into a higher level dungeon and encounter stronger recolors of lower level enemies, like "Oh, here's a red slime, he's much stronger than the blue slime and he can breathe fire", and that's pretty much what it comes off like, which is style over substance.

Also Megas were better because they at least didn't limit themselves to one generation like these do. Granted the games are not out yet and there could be some non-Gen 1 Alolan forms, but at the rate things have been going, it seems like what we see is what we get.

Honestly I agree, Alola forms are starting to feel a little forced. Some of them are less "let's take a Pokemon that would realistically adapt in this environment and change it accordingly" and more "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH THIS GEN I POKEMON!!!1!".

This is EXACTLY my problem with the Alolan forms, they feel too gimmicky and more like they only exist for the sake of shoving Gen 1 down our throats. If they do make even one Alolan form that isn't a Gen 1 Pokemon, chances are it's going to be Lucario given how much Game Freak adores it, but even as much as I think Lucario is over-exposed, I rather have that over another Kanto mon, and hey, having only Alolan Lucario is better than not having any non-Gen 1 Alolan forms.

If it was garbage, Garbodor could have gotten the variant, rather than the industrial sludge Pokemon.
Yeah, but as far as the toxic pokemon go, Trubish and Garbodor are land pollution. Grimer and Muk have always been water pollution (and koffing and weezing are air polution).

The Pacific garbage patch is made up of unrecycled plastic that's polluting a part of the Pacific Ocean and it's still growing. No body can really move it because they don't know how deep it goes or how many things are living in it. It's been there so long that it might be more of an enviromental risk to remove it than to leave it.

Personally, by putting a pokemon spin on that does sound like a colony of Grimer.

Plus most of the Kantalola Pokemon make no sense in a scientific sense.
Cubone is a Pokemon that wears its dead mother's skull.... but it's also born with it... and said dead mother's skull also doesn't match up with its evolution's skull. it's Pokemon, not science. (see also: Remoraid and Octillery, Clamperl family, Durant evolves to have steel armor to counter Heatmor which actually makes it worse, and so on.)

they don't really add or change anything to the Pokemon species itself
since all they are is just pallete-swaps
but we don't know that yet. for all we know, A-Marowak could be a somewhat speedy, special attacker rather than a slow, physical attacker like OG-Marowak. A-Raichu could have less speed and less attack, but more defenses and special attack to accommodate its new ability and new typing. i would say there's reasonable evidence to suggest that there are differences beyond just abilities and typings. also, they're not just palette-swaps; those are literally just recolors. Shiny Pokemon are palette-swaps. not every Alolan form is drastically different (re: A-Grimer, A-Meowth), but there are some that got a decent redesign like A-Exeggutor, A-Marowak, and A-Ninetails.

I can't say I care for Alolan Grimer too much.

Type: Null drawing from Arceus is a pretty cool idea, especially if it can work in conjunction with Z-Crystals.

Jangmo-o's evolutions sound cool, I'm happy to finally have a Dragon/Fighting type if it's true. Any guesses for what its supposed evolution's names might mean? 'Jara's probably the same as its pre-evolution, but the 'ranga' suffix of its final evolution could help determine what fighting style it draws from.

I think Alolan Grimer looks pretty nice. I always though Grimer looked kind of cute in a weird way, and I actually think the huge teeth add a cuteness factor to the Alolan variant. Not really a fan of the yellow mouth though. I also think its funny that yet another Alolan Pokemon has become a dark-type.

So if Alolan Grimer looks like Guzma, does Alolan Muk look like Plumeria? :p
It's more likely that it'll look more like Guzma, with the top of it being a white plastic bag for Guzma's hair and tires for Guzma's goggles. Now that I think about it, I want that to happen so bad. I'd die of laughter and reach Nirvana!

Another gen 1 pokemon gets an alola form...at least they gave Alola Grimer a good typing.
Type Null has an evolution which confirms that it is not as powerful as it was believe to be.
Dragon/Fighting is great to have and it looks like Jangmo-o line is the pseudo of the region. At least Fighting type gets to be a pseudo along with Flying, Dark, Ground and Steel.

Alolan Grimer is beyond disappointing... all the fake leaks claiming that its Alolan form would have it be purified and turn into water or mud, or that it would turn into lava- all of those would have been much more interesting than this. They just changed the color and put a yellow stripe on it. =/ This poison/dark grimer is boring, I want water or ground or lava Grimer. Gamefreak, take this stupid sludge back and fix it.

Not only is another Generation I Alola form boring and expected, but it's also a boring type alteration. This is where I'm going to say they're not being too creative anymore. How many Dark Alola forms do we have now? They could have done so much more with Grimer, but nope... They just stamped Dark on it. They didn't even do much with its design.

Come on, Gamefreak... At least try. I could forgive the early Alola forms (Ninetales, Marowak, etc.) for being all Gen I because they had fun with their typings and designs, and gave us something really different from the original. Now they're just stamping Dark on them and calling it a day.

Unlike most newly introduced Pokemon / Alolan forms, I seem to like Alolan Grimer less and less the more I see it...

Today so far has been just a big flop honestly XD

Not only is another Generation I Alola form boring and expected, but it's also a boring type alteration. This is where I'm going to say they're not being too creative anymore. How many Dark Alola forms do we have now? They could have done so much more with Grimer, but nope... They just stamped Dark on it. They didn't even do much with its design.

Come on, Gamefreak... At least try. I could forgive the early Alola forms (Ninetales, Marowak, etc.) for being all Gen I because they had fun with their typings and designs, and gave us something really different from the original. Now they're just stamping Dark on them and calling it a day.
After seeing all these people's thoughts on alolan grimer I just realized....I haven't given my opinion on it!

K.. where do I start, when I saw it well they could've done more with it honestly. As other people said, it could've been pure fire to resemble like a huge magma pile from the volcanoes that would've been cool!

Or they could've given it poison/ground since its literally a pile of sludge that moves on the ground, i don't know why they didn't give grimer/muk that typing in the first place.

But no... all they did was give it a gray color with a yellow stripe coming from it's mouth to make it seem likes it's toxic I guess?

Like another commenter said they're just stamping dark on everything and expecting us to be okay with it

The only thing that could save this line at this point would be if this line is both given a good reason for this change and that Alolan Muk has a drastic change that makes it different from being jsut a recolor of the classic Muk. I expect the backstory, if there is any, to be related to Team Skull due to Alolan Grimer resembling Guzma.

I really don't get what you're on about. To me personally, Alolan Grimer doesn't resemble Guzma in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom