• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro to hold contest in promotion of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A special ticket will be attached to one copy of the January issue of the Japanese magazine CoroCoro, the holder of which will be be given the privilege of receiving copies of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl upon their release date, as well as proposing his or her idea for a new move to be included in the two upcoming games.

BulbaNews Article

Last edited:
Proposing ideas? That makes it sound like they are still some way from completion.

Maybe not.

For one, they don't HAVE to incorperate the ideas. For two, the ones they would incorperate are likely to be pretty small. Extra Items or something.

The fact that D/P is being given the spotlight now and talk of anything being given away on release date indicates to me that they feel they can be complete by a certain date.

I for one would say we could see it late next year/late summerish. Which is fair enough.

As long as no one tries to put in the ideas I've seen for D/P. [Marvin the Martian] That would make me very angry. Very angry indeed. [/Marvin]

One other thing to remember is that it's possible the ideas the winner proposes are actually already part of the games....

The extent of their willingness to incorporate fan ideas is questionable; the winner could turn out to be a young fan or a reader of CoroCoro who is not interested in Pokémon. I suspect that they merely plan to design a character after the winner, not unlike certain characters in the current games (such as Kiri in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, designed after Jun'ichi Masuda's daughter). If the winner were to be serious and persuasive enough, perhaps he could use the opportunity for something more, but certainly nothing radical.

For the record, the main idea presented in the article is not the possibility of some individual marginally influencing the development of the games, but the fact the development appears to be into its later stages.

Last edited:
Sounds cool. I'd be lamenting my inability to get the magazine if I didn't know they'd never be able to include all my ideas into D/P by the release date anyway.

*goes off into a fangirl fantasy about designing/programming Pokémon games*

For the record, the main idea presented in the article is not the possibility of some individual marginally influencing the development of the games, but the fact the development appears to be into its later stages.

Yeah. I would even willing to place them mid 2006. Running a contest where the winner doesn't recieve a prize for 12 months would be silly. Six months sounds far more reasonable and still gives them time to incorporate small ideas (like new items or characters) into the games. I would expect a summer/early fall 2006 release juding from this news. Although it might be released 12 months from now in the US if the English translation team isn't working directly with the Japanese writers.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Does anyone know what would happen if a foreign reader got the winning ticket?

I'd assume normally they'd put into the T&C that you had to be a Japanese Resident or something.

Though since there can only be one winner and it litterally could be anyone, including importers.... If their T&C featured such a clause, it'd probably kill the competition. Lol.

I think that's rather unlikely though.

It has come to my attention that the contest pertains to a new move to be included in the games, which leaves less room for random suggestions on the winner's part. I am personally inclined to believe that the winner will only decide on the move's type and description, but the developers may very well design the statistics as they see fit.

This also means that your claim of the development still being behind is moot, and by no means is it supported by the existence of this contest. One move is hardly what I would call an integral part of the data; it can be added at any stage of the games' development. The true purpose behind this contest is solely to mark the beginning of the campaign promoting Diamond and Pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom