• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could a Pokémon/Digimon crossover ever work?

techadon

Reaction score
Everyone knows about the infamous rivalry between Pokémon and Digimon. They both debuted around the same time and fans of the former accused the latter of being a rip-off. (Think of it being like the Mario vs. Sonic clash of the early 90s) But as time went on, people realized they could be fans of both franchises, and the rivalry has mostly died down ever since.

But what if there were to be a crossover between Pokémon and Digimon? Be it a video game, an anime, a card game or so on? Could it ever be feasible? If so, how would it work?

Last night my girlfriend showed me an article about who would win in a fight mega digimon or mega evolved pokemon. She cackled and said 'there are rookies that could decimate fully evolved pokemon.'

I mean.. she's not wrong. Pretty sure Agumon could knock the stuffing out of a Charmeleon and once Greymon shows up not even Charizard is safe. In any kind of cross over I feel pokemon would be severely out of their league.

Last night my girlfriend showed me an article about who would win in a fight mega digimon or mega evolved pokemon. She cackled and said 'there are rookies that could decimate fully evolved pokemon.'

I mean.. she's not wrong. Pretty sure Agumon could knock the stuffing out of a Charmeleon and once Greymon shows up not even Charizard is safe. In any kind of cross over I feel pokemon would be severely out of their league.
Yeah, that definitely would be a major issue if a crossover were to ever happen. The power gap between Pokémon and Digimon is absurd. And it leans heavily towards the latter. Top-tier Digimon are multiverse-level reality warpers that make Arceus look like a gnat and rival the strongest cosmic entities from Marvel and DC.

Sure but let me warn ya

The humans in Pokémon would end up finding a way to turn Digimon into Pokémon, making the crossover still just Pokémon at the end of the day. :ROFLMAO:

If there were ever an all out brawl between Pokémon and Digimon, this would precisely be how Pokémon wins.

Pokémon are even in part, digital creatures too. People wouldn't have to work too hard to find a way to convert Digimon over to Pokémon.

Sure but let me warn ya

The humans in Pokémon would end up finding a way to turn Digimon into Pokémon, making the crossover still just Pokémon at the end of the day. :ROFLMAO:

If there were ever an all out brawl between Pokémon and Digimon, this would precisely be how Pokémon wins.

Pokémon are even in part, digital creatures too. People wouldn't have to work too hard to find a way to convert Digimon over to Pokémon.
In other words, you think it would be a stomp in Pokémon's favor?

I'm currently working on a conversion method between the Pokémon and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth stat systems. A video game would likely be the best medium for such a crossover, so I think it's safe to ignore all of the monsters' more outlandish abilities and consider only what they can do under a player's command.

Solely because of this!
I doubt anyone would get the chance to turn Digimon into Pokémon when guys like ZeedMillenniummon can obliterate the entire Pokémon universe with their mere presence alone.

I think it could work for a manga since that's a very lax medium where weird things happen and not that much parties would be involved. Meanwhile Pokegames and Digigames are owned by a bunch of companies who compete with each other and PokeAnime and DigiAnime even more. So I would not see it happening in the later cases unless the stars allign or something.

As for the plot, I guess it could be about both humans teams coming together and stopping a threat. In both series the monsters are more popular but humans are also a very important part of both and could highlight their differences.

So here's what I've got so far. Take the minimum and maximum possible stat values for each system, accounting for in-battle buffs/debuffs and equipment bonuses but not including isolated cases like Shedinja and PlatinumNumemon:

HP
  • Pokémon: 11 (minimum), 1428 (maximum, Dynamax)
  • Digimon: 100 (minimum), 6330 (maximum)
Other Stat
  • Pokémon: 1 (minimum, debuffed), 2676 (maximum, buffed)
  • Digimon: 5 (minimum, debuffed), 1266 (maximum, buffed)

Subtract the minimum values from the maximum values—we'll call the result the conversion factor. Take the natural logarithm of the conversion factor for the system you're converting to, and divide it by the natural logarithm of the factor for the system you're converting from. Subtract the minimum value from the stat you wish to convert, raise the result to the power of the logarithmic operation you just performed, then add the minimum value of the target system. Round to the nearest integer.

The resulting stats are applied to the target of an attack, not the user. This allows each combatant to continue using their native damage formula. For defensive purposes, Digimon Intelligence and Pokémon Special Defense are considered interchangeable; for debuff purposes, Intelligence accounts for both Special Attack and Special Defense. Once damage has been applied, the remaining HP is then converted linearly. This seems to yield the most balanced results.

It's up to you whether to account for elemental typing or not. I choose not to, because several types are unaccounted for between charts, meaning that a disproportionate number of attacks will end up dealing neutral damage anyway. Aside from that, there's no way of knowing whether Digimon elements have the same physical properties as their Pokémon counterparts, since one is digital and the other is not (Porygon notwithstanding).

That was probably very poorly-explained, but if you think you were able to decipher my babbling, try it out and let me know how it works! Unless and/or until an official crossover happens, consider this something of a proof-of-concept. Feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong, or if you have any suggestions for how to improve this approach.

Back
Top Bottom