• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could Ash's Charizard or Infernape beat Tobias's Latios or Darkrai?

Ishida

Reaction score
I always thought that if Ash used at least one of them the battle would have went a little smoother I don't think he would have won but still..Blaze and Charizard's power would have definitely been helpful.

They could have if the writers actually used them rather than torkoal and gible and swellow.

Swellow actually has a lot of wins I'm surprised the writers made it lose the way it did.

Swellow actually has a lot of wins I'm surprised the writers made it lose the way it did.

Same here. Swellow is one of his better Pokemon.

But I could definitely see Charizard doing well against Latios and defeating it. Infernape would be a good match against Darkrai but I think it was probably still worn out from its battle with Paul.

I think Darkrai could handle a overrated Charizard but Infernape may be able to defeat it thanks to its type advantage. But Latios would beat Infernape and probably Charizard too. And if Infernape and Charizard defeated Darkrai and Latios, Tobias would only bring in a third legendary and destroy Ash anyway.

Could easily see Charizard beating both, especially Latios. An air battle with a Dragon move and he's golden. Infernape wouldn't do great against Latios, most likely losing, but I think he would have a shot against Darkrai. Type advantage plus his high speed and dig in order to dodge Dark Void. If he can dodge Dark void then he only has Ice beam and Dark pulse to contend with, both not very effective against Infernape.

In fact, Infernape may even do better against Darkrai than Charizard would.

Could easily see Charizard beating both, especially Latios. An air battle with a Dragon move and he's golden. Infernape wouldn't do great against Latios, most likely losing, but I think he would have a shot against Darkrai. Type advantage plus his high speed and dig in order to dodge Dark Void. If he can dodge Dark void then he only has Ice beam and Dark pulse to contend with, both not very effective against Infernape.

How should Charizard be able to handle Darkrai?

Oh you know, because he's super powerful.

Sceptile managed it with a couple of leaf blades. I'm sure Charizard can handle it. Plus he may still have had seismic toss in his move set at that point.

Sceptile managed it with a couple of leaf blades. I'm sure Charizard can handle it. Plus he may still have had seismic toss in his move set at that point.
Charizard is super overrated. But I agree that he could win if he had Seismic Toss.

Charizard is super overrated. But I agree that he could win if he had Seismic Toss.

In what way is he Overrated? He's shown time and time again that he's extremely powerful

With Infernape's type advantage, and Darkrai's lack of effective moves against Infernape,I think he could handle and probably defeat Darkrai. Charizard can fly, is very powerful, and does know a few dragon-type moves so he might have been able to handle Latios. He probably could have been able to defeat it. After all, Pikachu was able to defeat it and he mainly used not very effective electric type moves, so I'm sure a Charizard with super effective moves could probably win.

In what way is he Overrated? He's shown time and time again that he's extremely powerful
He is powerful and has proofed it many times but he is not unbeatable. I can mention a lot of pokemons who can beat him. For example Cilans Crustle or Ashs Palpitoad. Against Darkrai he would probably be put to sleep and hit by Dream Eater which would inflict massihe damage on him. One Dark Pulse could probably finish him off after that. If Darkrai has fighted other pokemons before Charizard then Charizard would have a big chance of winning but otherwise no.

If Ash used Infernape and Charizard, he probably would have defeated 3 or 4 of Tobias's pokemon and then lose when Tobias sends out Arceus.

He is powerful and has proofed it many times but he is not unbeatable. I can mention a lot of pokemons who can beat him. For example Cilans Crustle or Ashs Palpitoad. Against Darkrai he would probably be put to sleep and hit by Dream Eater which would inflict massihe damage on him. One Dark Pulse could probably finish him off after that. If Darkrai has fighted other pokemons before Charizard then Charizard would have a big chance of winning but otherwise no.

Please tell me you're kidding. The Idea of Palpitoad being able to beat Charizard is just laughable (I get the sneaking suspicion that you are just a tad biased when it comes to Palpitoad). And If Crustle and Charizard were to battle (which would be a cool battle), I could still see Charizard coming out on top. Experience can outweigh type advantage.

And about the Dream eater thing, why would that do massive amounts of damage??? Same thing could be said about Sceptile and he woke up and beat Darkrai, after being hit by a super effective Ice beam and a Dream eater

Please tell me you're kidding. The Idea of Palpitoad being able to beat Charizard is just laughable (I get the sneaking suspicion that you are just a tad biased when it comes to Palpitoad). And If Crustle and Charizard were to battle (which would be a cool battle), I could still see Charizard coming out on top. Experience can outweigh type advantage.

And about the Dream eater thing, why would that do massive amounts of damage??? Same thing could be said about Sceptile and he woke up and beat Darkrai, after being hit by a super effective Ice beam and a Dream eater
Dream Eater would do massive damage because of that Darkrai is a legendary. And I will confess that I may overrate Palpitoad sometimes but I think that he can win over Charizard. And Sceptail surviving those moves was not logic. But I guess that Sceptail is very very sturdy.

I dont think its laughable. Palpatoad still has The whole water Type advantage over charizard.... Only uf charizard us GROUNDED though... Get it??

In my honest opinion I could sooner see Ash's oshawott single handedly taking on Sceptile, Bulbasaur, And Bayleef and winning before Palpitoad beats Charizard.

Also anything sceptile can do Charizard can do better. So yes he could beat one of those.

Palpitoad beating Charizard? EL OH EL.

It's even been stated by the Pokémon people that Charizard is Ash's strongest Pokémon. The Japanese preview summary for BW116 even stated such. Charizard is one of Ash's most iconic Pokémon, second only to Pikachu, and his most powerful one. Charizard will always been one of Ash's go to Pokémon for years to come. Palpitoad is just another Tauros or Kingler.

Palpitoad beating Charizard? EL OH EL.

It's even been stated by the Pokémon people that Charizard is Ash's strongest Pokémon. The Japanese preview summary for BW116 even stated such. Charizard is one of Ash's most iconic Pokémon, second only to Pikachu, and his most powerful one. Charizard will always been one of Ash's go to Pokémon for years to come. Palpitoad is just another Tauros or Kingler.

Only because of that Charizard is stated to be Ashs strongest pokemon that does not mean that he is almost unable to beat. A strong pokemon with a type advantage could beat him. Palpitoad is a strong pokemon with type advantage. But many of you behaves like Charizard is almost unbeatable. He is not.

The only way Palpitoad could beat Charizard is if Charizard stood there and took Multiple Hydro pumps to the face. Gary's Blastoise had Type advantage, as did his Golem. How'd that work out for them again?

Of course he isn't unbeatable, since he's been beaten. I can see him losing to the likes of Cynthia's pokemon, or many Elite 4 pokemon that we have seen, even Paul's Torterra with that controllable stone edge. But he is Ash's strongest pokemon, and he would eat Palpitoad for a midday snack.

Darkrai would be a much tougher opponent of course, but like its been said, if Sceptile can do it, so can Charizard. I still would have gone with Infernape though

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom