• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Could Gamefreak have figured out how to make gold and sliver transfer to ruby and sapphire?

Fairy Type Arceus

Reaction score
As we all know the gen 2 games can't connect with the gen 3 games which sparked frlg which sparked the whole remake trail we've found ourselves on. My question is were game freaks hands really tied? If GSC can transfer to gen 7 games why not gen 3 games? The gameboy advance was backwards compatible with the older gameboy games, and if for some reason it was impossible through the handhelds alone what about using the game cube games like XD as an inbetween, after all you could send pokemon from RBY to stadium right? So why didn't they make a gamecube game that can take pokemon from GSC and send them to RS or if not possible as they were already released make it so you can send them to them to frlg or emerald. Or am I all wrong about this ideas and game freaks hands were truly tied?

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
They weren't truly tied, but Nintendo would have had to make this happen just for Pokemon's sake.

Bank was first considered for Crystal, using the Mobile Adapter. The idea was probably dropped because it would have only catered to Japan, and maybe it wouldn't have been easy to pull off back then.

Fairy Type Arceus

Reaction score
They weren't truly tied, but Nintendo would have had to make this happen just for Pokemon's sake.

Bank was first considered for Crystal, using the Mobile Adapter. The idea was probably dropped because it would have only catered to Japan, and maybe it wouldn't have been easy to pull off back then.
Nintendo made it happen for gen 3 to gen 4. Atleast thats why I always assumed the ds could play gameboy games in a second slot.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Nintendo made it happen for gen 3 to gen 4. Atleast thats why I always assumed the ds could play gameboy games in a second slot.
Well, Gen 3 is compatible with Gen 4 because the game is programmed similarly because they wanted to prevent another "Gen 1-2 to Gen 3" situation, which is why they have not changed the mechanics since then.

Stratelier

Reaction score
Indeed, it wasn't just the technical limitations of the hardware -- I'm personally certain that if they tried hard enough they COULD have gotten GBA software to talk through a GB link cable, but then you wind up with a Gen1-2 situation where (1) you can only trade Pokemon that were compatible with the older generation, and (2) some internal data simply can't be transferred (most significantly the Gen3 'personality value' and ball type).

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
As Fairy Type Arceus said, the same conversion that works with the VC transfers could have been applied to begin with.

Considering that Masuda referred to RS' development as hell for him due to his then-new responsibilities, maybe he just didn't bring himself to consider all the possibilities.

FairyTaleDude

Reaction score
As Fairy Type Arceus said, the same conversion that works with the VC transfers could have been applied to begin with.

Considering that Masuda referred to RS' development as hell for him due to his then-new responsibilities, maybe he just didn't bring himself to consider all the possibilities.
The truth.

There wasn't any insurmountable technical difficulty.

Boruto

Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᴺcᴱ
Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that Game Freak simply didn't care enough to actually bother with implementing a potential GSC to RSE transfer device.

prog rocker

Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that Game Freak simply didn't care enough to actually bother with implementing a potential GSC to RSE transfer device.
I guess they also didn't think about the Internet Backdraft that came with that.