• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could the new director and staff break the taboos of the anime?

Sneazy Sneasel

Is a pretty Sneasel
Reaction score
if the first 2 eps of XY are an indication, it seems the new staff of the anime are trying new things. do you think they will break many traditions of the anime such as Ash losing a league, a cute Pokemon never evolving and the male companion having a active battle focused goal.

BW did a lot of new things, didn't it? No bike for the female protagonist, completely changing Team Rocket's role and not having them appear in every episode, Ash rotating his party, Don George's Battle Clubs, etc. and looked how that turned out. Every saga does some things a little different. It just depends on the execution, I think.

I think they keep trying new and new things every region, for some reason they are now just starting to do this. I think every series they keep trying to fix there mistakes, look at all the things people complained about last series? Ash acting like a newbie? Fixed that, now acting like his AG / DP self. Ash caught more Pokemon than he did in the past, a lot of them didn't get much screen time or battles, back to what happened in AG / DP with him only getting one starter Pokemon, hopefully maybe it will be Ash's first fully evolved water type. A lot of people hated serious Team Rocket, now back to comical roles..You get the picture.

The writers are still mostly the same people who have been here since Kanto, so i don't think a new director will change much of anything.

Trying new things would be good. Remember how they took a new approach for Episode N, and people loved it?
Give us something new :D as long as it's not something too outrageous, it'll probably nice surprises

At the very least, I just hope they have as much nerve as they did back in DP. (They'll kind of need too for Team Flare and Az)

I also hope they make good use of everything. Arceus knows that XY (and it's 3rd version/sequel games, as well as the rest of Gen 6) will give them oh-so much to work with is they'll just use it right.

Last edited:
If it means Ash having a Greninja and Serena having a Delphox, than yes, I am all for it.

Especially if it means Ash winning a league.

Satoshi will not win the league.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubbles. I just think you'll be in for a huge disappointment if you raise your expectations that much, specially if you think that is going to happen after he just ended in the best 16 of Isshu.

Making him win the league is the least important change the anime needs.

Also, Greninja is really popular. And it's the only starter he's getting. It IS going to evolve.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubbles. I just think you'll be in for a huge disappointment if you raise your expectations that much, specially if you think that is going to happen after he just ended in the best 16 of Isshu.

Also, Greninja is really popular. And it's the only starter he's getting. It IS going to evolve.

Evolving the Water-starter is one of thw biggest taboo in the anime. Inb4 they don't evolve Froakie and crush everyone's hope.

Joking - but we can still hope for anything. It looks like we can expect some good changes.

At least better than BW, and definitely not that devastating League.

Dont bet the farm and the Chevy on it...

Trying new things would be good. Remember how they took a new approach for Episode N, and people loved it?
Give us something new :D as long as it's not something too outrageous, it'll probably nice surprises
as long as they dont botch anything up like they did with Charizard vs Dragonite. i dont think it will be as bad but that could change...

Evolving the Water-starter is one of thw biggest taboo in the anime. Inb4 they don't evolve Froakie and crush everyone's hope.

Joking - but we can still hope for anything. It looks like we can expect some good changes.

At least better than BW, and definitely not that devastating League.

Not better then BW, and the Unova League was okay. However i don't see Ash acting anything like his AG/DP self which is a goodthing.

Team Rocket are still serious just like they were in BW, but the only different is that they are back to having their funny personalities again.

I don't see Froakie evolving at all, but since he only have one starter it may evolved only once or not at all.

Hopefully Ash will win the Kalos League.

Last edited:
They should just bring back charizard for mega evolutions. I could not care less about froakie.

First off all it was top 8. Get info right

Second it is obvious the writers know how much BW flopped and are forgetting it was a thing. Hell Ash not asking why Wobbuffett is back is clear of evidence. We all need to forget Unova was an arc and just pretend DP only ended.. :)

There isn't any need to bash BW, especially when the opinions on BW's quality doesn't have anything to do with this thread, so please drop that conversation and get back on topic. Thank you.

Consdering the series are all connected I'd say Bw has things to do with it

Being that Froakie is Ash's only starter this time, I'm sure this will be the gen to break the curse of his water starters never evolving.

Ash losing at the league is here to stay though. At best I see him making it further than he did in Unova, only to be beaten by some older, more experienced character like in Johto-Sinnoh.

Consdering the series are all connected I'd say Bw has things to do with it

While the series are all connected, this topic still doesn't warrant a discussion of BW's quality, especially when we have a lot of threads focused on that topic in the main section. So please don't bring it up and if you have a problem with my in-thread warning, or an in-thread warning left by any of the other moderators, in the future, please send a PM instead of questioning it within the thread. Thank you.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom