• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could the new director and staff break the taboos of the anime?

A lot of people seem to forget that he won the orange league, he even mentioned it to one or 2 people in johto, though he mentioned being top 16 in the indigo league a lot more

Well, I doubt Froakie evolving given the writers apparent bias on water types (and you didn't know how much I desperately wanted Ash's Buizel to evolve, since Floatzel is my favorite Pokemon), but I can see it happening given Greninja's popularity, or at least to Frogadier at best, but for Buizel's sake, Ash's Froakie should evolve, though I doubt Serena's Fennekin and boy was it painfully obvious she would choose Fennekin will evolve even to Braixen, let alone all the way to Delphox, because they need a starter that's to be the cute one that sells plush dolls.

As for Ash winning the league, I think there's already a thread about that, but I highly doubt it at this point, since they don't want to get rid of Ash as the protagonist.

Did the writer of the anime also did Orgins? hopeful that will be enough to open them to break taboo in the main anime.

though I doubt Serena's Fennekin and boy was it painfully obvious she would choose Fennekin will evolve even to Braixen, let alone all the way to Delphox, because they need a starter that's to be the cute one that sells plush dolls.

I don't think Fennekin is really that marketable in japan, if anything it's likelihood of evolving depends on whether or not Serena main goal is battle oriented.

As for Ash winning the league, I think there's already a thread about that, but I highly doubt it at this point, since they don't want to get rid of Ash as the protagonist.

After letting Red win the league in Orgins it would be stupid for them to still have the belief that Ash winning league will kill the show.

Did the writer of the anime also did Orgins? hopeful that will be enough to open them to break taboo in the main anime.

I don't think Fennekin is really that marketable in japan, if anything it's likelihood of evolving depends on whether or not Serena main goal is battle oriented.

After letting Red win the league in Orgins it would be stupid for them to still have the belief that Ash winning league will kill the show.

Agreed with you on both, while I am still annoyed by Serena choosing Fennekin (why couldn't it be Chespin), it's probably because of how overdrawn it is on DeviantART that I see it as being the overmarketed cute starter (look at Piplup and Oshawott before it), but that still depends on who gets Chespin. As for Ash and the league, they claim it will end the show if he won the league, when the Pokemon franchise has proven in the past that it can survive without the anime, sadly, the writers fear the franchise will fail without the anime.

Agreed with you on both, while I am still annoyed by Serena choosing Fennekin (why couldn't it be Chespin), it's probably because of how overdrawn it is on DeviantART that I see it as being the overmarketed cute starter (look at Piplup and Oshawott before it), but that still depends on who gets Chespin. As for Ash and the league, they claim it will end the show if he won the league, when the Pokemon franchise has proven in the past that it can survive without the anime, sadly, the writers fear the franchise will fail without the anime.

Ash: "Yay I won the Kalos League!"
Professor Oak: "Incidently, Gary said he's going to [BLANK] region. There's also a league there"
Ash: "Cool! Let's go win that one, too!"

I don't see why the anime would end if Ash wins a league? Just make up some good excuses for Ash continuing his travel - surely that won't be difficult.

I don't see why the anime would end if Ash wins a league? Just make up some good excuses for Ash continuing his travel - surely that won't be difficult.

He even repeated in XY003 that beating the Champion is just a step towards becoming a Pokemon Master. Whether that line means anything or not, I guess we'll see in a few years.

As for Ash and the league, they claim it will end the show if he won the league,

Has anyone on the show's staff ever claimed this? I don't see why it would be a problem; winning a league doesn't make you a Pokemon Master. There's still the Elites and Champions, and whatever else attaining the title entails. I don't think Pokemon Master has ever been given a clear definition for that matter, it could be kept as a vague goal no matter how far Ash gets.

As for Ash and the league, they claim it will end the show if he won the league,

Has anyone on the show's staff ever claimed this?

No. There an interview where someone involved with the show jokingly says that if Satoshi became Pokemon Master, that would be the end of the show. This gets misquoted by dumb people all the time as "The writers said they'd end the show if Satoshi ever won a league" or similar nonsense.

I don't think Pokemon Master has ever been given a clear definition for that matter, it could be kept as a vague goal no matter how far Ash gets.

It's been defined multiple times as "The single best Pokemon trainer in the world".

He even repeated in XY003 that beating the Champion is just a step towards becoming a Pokemon Master. Whether that line means anything or not, I guess we'll see in a few years.

No. There an interview where someone involved with the show jokingly says that if Satoshi became Pokemon Master, that would be the end of the show. This gets misquoted by dumb people all the time as "The writers said they'd end the show if Satoshi ever won a league" or similar nonsense.

I don't think Pokemon Master has ever been given a clear definition for that matter, it could be kept as a vague goal no matter how far Ash gets.

It's been defined multiple times as "The single best Pokemon trainer in the world".

This is exactly the point I've been trying to come across in the past, which is the fact that the show can continue if Ash wins a league, it's just that what they fear is having Ash progress and becoming more successful is what they fear, hence his regressions at the beginning of each region, because they fear it will drive people away from the franchise and make them lose money, as they want to keep the show "fresh" as much as possible. Like what Musashi said above, beating the Champion does NOT equal being a Pokemon master, the anime writers just have this mindset of the fact that if Ash beat a region's champion, he will automatically be the best trainer... OF THAT REGION, he still has a long way to go before he can be the best in the world, beating a champion is simply the first step, not the final one as the anime writers seem to believe.

This is what is probably my main problem with the anime is, being the fact that they refuse to change anything about the anime's premise, for better or for worse, because they are afraid of the franchise going under so they can make more money, and that's a problem I have with the Pokemon franchise as a whole is that they've essentially homogenized it for money.

At this point, I do not believe there is such a thing as a "Pokemon Master", or "the single best trainer in the world". There are good trainers and there are bad trainers, no such thing as the "best" or the "worst", and anymore I feel like the newer seasons have essentially flanderized the concept, which in the first season, the message was not to be the best, but to do your best, and the later seasons are essentially missing the point of this, because not only does the "you gotta be the best, better than everyone else" mindset send a rather negative message to the viewers, but the anime goes out of it's way to contradict this message as a poor way of keeping the series fresh for newer viewers.

Keeping the show "fresh" for newer viewers is one thing, but they care about quantity and sales over quality and telling a good story with good characters, and this is where I feel the later seasons of the anime fail over the earlier ones, but this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Keeping the show "fresh" for newer viewers is one thing, but they care about quantity and sales over quality and telling a good story with good characters, and this is where I feel the later seasons of the anime fail over the earlier ones, but this is just my opinion.

I dunno. DP seemed to do a fairly good job. Though that's just me.

I figured that quote was out of date at least, since it's been emphasized that League Champion is just the first step to Pokemon Champion, but I didn't think it would be a complete joke. Thanks for clearing that up.

That being said, I still don't think Ash will be beating a league super-soon, since the first league win is still a huge step towards his goal, and he's definitely going to be around for a long time to come. Though I do feel like he'll be placing high in the Kalos league.

I doubt much would change because right now writers comforted themselves so much with thought of current formula doing just "fine", not realizing in slightest how their current approach is just netting pokemon series bad etquette taking away from reputation and popularity which is rapidly dropping.

Comprised of having little to no consistent following, destroyed continuity, stagnation of its characters like Ash with story never allowing for them to evolve as trainers and persons accompanied with overplayed use of rehashed plots we saw so many times done to death in past and constant companion replacing with any started story, friendship and impact left in series history and story ending erased and devaluated in end leaving us with bunch of unfinished characters with wasted potential being treated like expendable material who never mattered in longer run.

I would definitely welcome seeing writers for change breaking new grounds with Ash character having him go through deeper,more substantial growth exploring more about his past and family along with going through more complex tasks like challenging E4, passing chain of events similar to BF serving as benchmarks through which he could come closer toward ultimate destination making people intrigued in his progress again.

In interview with Masamitsu Hidaka from pokebeach in 2008. it was mentioned to fan query how anime will end when Ash becomes pokemon master(so clearly winning one regional league shouldn't be issue given how it was established in DP through Lucian how after regional, champion league is just one of steps needed to fulfill in road of becoming master.

While were at breaking taboos why not make anime world also feel closer accompanied with coherent plot in form of breaking tradition of just Iris and Cilan getting one obligatory follow up in Kalos while always missing on each opportunity to make something worthwhile of previous companions which left cast too and could bring more on table?

I think bringing back fan favorites(like Misty, May, Brock, maybe Max etc)for XY region but any possible future one too when they could help advance current plot and help move story forward, while getting some more growth themselves tying them within current story would be fresh, innovative twist brought to pokemon series. Since it would preserve older friends alive in some form, have them infiltrate among new characters exploring on different dynamic and have them updated and in action doing new things furthering their growth and story.

Which would bring more continuity in show, connections to history, add more substance to story and higher ratings with people appreciating such things.

As far as current formula goes i would like to be proven wrong with writers positively surprising me but somehow i doubt they have any motivation or courage to change current direction in which show is heading. There is more to Ash quest than just winning regional league and you can still advertize new pokemon and features making main star relatable to young viewers by building up on his experience and skills as well. If anything that way those same young watchers might become more hooked into the show wanting to continue following anime when they become older too.
Just like Soledad won GF of one region continuing to travel because of wanting to become recognized and acknowledged as coordinator worldwide instead of just one region. Same applies to Ash and whole league thing.

Writers simply pass on this because its easier and requires less work to just continue with never ending, repetitive cycle with no real going forward trying to just mask their laziness through addition of new faces while wasting potential and room for further development with perfectly fine characters they had on their hands, along with not wanting to be more creative and thoughtful in developing series protagonist like Ash building on already acquired knowledge having him go on next step through fresh, exciting direction in which viewers never got chance to see him explored, but his travel companions too(referring mainly to Serena, Calem and Bonnie since they are current cast not repesting mistaked like they did with past ones depriving them of being used to full potential) once they learn basics and are ready to go on bigger more demanding phase of growth.

Ash wins a league only for the fanbase to cry over him getting torn a new one by a "weak" Pokemon next region early on, no thanks, I don't see the point in him winning a league. The whole Pokemon Master goal is likely just fabricated by Ash himself given we've seen no one actually talk of it in-depth or one of these fabled masters of Pokemon in person. Just like how a young child will go on about being a ninja-robot-construction-spaceman, I think that's how Ash's Pokemon Master goal is meant to be taken, as a big dream for a young child. It's similar to being King of the Pirates/Hokage, except it's completely undefined and obviously made so Ash can have a big, shounen-esque dream goal for traveling everywhere.

Oh and a new director is likely changing nothing about the anime.

Last edited:
The anime series isn't Origins.

Origins is more tied to the games. In the game becoming a champion isn't that big of a deal. Every player becomes one. Also there aren't any big championships, just collect badges, beat Elite 4, become champion. It's catered for people who play the game but haven't/don't watch the anime series starring Satoshi. They expect Red to get there because everyone played Pokemon Red and beat it over and over ages ago.

The anime makes a huge deal of being a champion. You go through a big tournament watched by a whole crowd, become a champion, and then there's the made-up Champion League.

In Origins neither being a champion or catching all pokémon is really hyped any close as much. It's a 1:30ish long animation. You can't compare its writing decisions with a series of over 100 episodes (over 800 if we count every series).

Satoshi isn't becoming a champion anytime soon because the anime implies a champion wouldn't struggle as much as he did in these restarting journeys of his. Heck Elite Four members are already always near overpowered gods when they show up...

This is despite the Leagues not being the same Leagues in the video games? Goodness.

Who's got Chespin?

Can see it being the cutesy one this gen.
Can't see Ash winning the league, but would like to see him come 2nd, just as Dawn did in the Grand Festival.

Also hopefully they'll break the taboo of a main character leaving mid series, bye bye Bonnie, you annoy me!

From the opening, Clemont gets Chespin, so it might be the unevolved starter this series. Maybe it will be like Brock's Happiny and evolve right at the end; I...really hope not.

With Serena's Fennekin, it's harder to say. I can see both options can work: either keep it unevolved because it's part of a main girl's team and most of them have to be kept as small cute plushie-like Pokemon, OR it will evolve but still be cute and marketable. I'm not sure how popular Braixen/Delphox are to the kiddies, but they sure are popular with the internet! :V

Ash wins a league only for the fanbase to cry over him getting torn a new one by a "weak" Pokemon next region early on, no thanks, I don't see the point in him winning a league. The whole Pokemon Master goal is likely just fabricated by Ash himself given we've seen no one actually talk of it in-depth or one of these fabled masters of Pokemon in person. Just like how a young child will go on about being a ninja-robot-construction-spaceman, I think that's how Ash's Pokemon Master goal is meant to be taken, as a big dream for a young child. It's similar to being King of the Pirates/Hokage, except it's completely undefined and obviously made so Ash can have a big, shounen-esque dream goal for traveling everywhere.

Oh and a new director is likely changing nothing about the anime.
I believe a commentator at the Indigo league made mention of whoever wins will get granted the title of Pokemon Master.

I believe a commentator at the Indigo league made mention of whoever wins will get granted the title of Pokemon Master.

Sounds like 4Kids was talking out of their ass again. It's already been stated winning the league doesn't make you a Pokemon Master.

Sounds like 4Kids was talking out of their ass again. It's already been stated winning the league doesn't make you a Pokemon Master.

Aye!

Remember people: NEVER believe ANYTHING said in a 4Kids' Dub!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom