• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could The Strange Souvenir Come Into Play In ORAS' Post-Game?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
GameFreak has been showing since Generation 5 that they're not afraid to shake up their formula. The most obvious instances of this are when they made Black 2 and White 2 instead of Gray, and decided to include something as different and game changing as Mega Evolution into ORAS which are most certainly NOT a part of the original Ruby and Sapphire games.

Is it possible that in the post-game of ORAS, you're able to travel to the next region (Generation 7's region) to catch the Pokémon the Strange Souvenir depicts? This would be akin to the anime debuting Togepi (a Johto Pokémon) in the Kanto saga (the previous generation). But you wouldn't be able to travel through the full region. You'd only be able to visit one to three towns in this new region, two routes at the most and then the shrine dedicated to this legendary where you would be able to catch it. It'd be like a teaser or a demo. This would be a radically risky move for GameFreak, because it could yet again change the very fabric of what we expect from the franchise.

While I do think this is crazy and highly unlikely, the fact that Diancie got a Mega and that Mega's are seemingly being introduced into ORAS' main plot at all (as opposed to post-game) makes me think anything is possible when it comes to this generation. Maybe the Strange Souvenir could even come into play when Pokémon Z is released and they could put in the Gen. 7 preview there, but I'll bring up that theory when Z is announced. Which will probably be about early next year.

What are some of your thoughts on this possibility?

I highly doubt they would do that in a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. Thats region is likely being saved for another Kalos game or maybe Gen 7 though I doubt they would foreshadow Gen 7 this early. I honestly don't think the Strange Souvenier will be included in OR/AS at all.

I'm gonna give this a conditional yes. The yes is conditional only if the Battle Frontier area is expanded to be considered another "region" and not apart of Hoenn like it was in RSE.

This would be a radically risky move for GameFreak, because it could yet again change the very fabric of what we expect from the franchise.
A "risky" move would be properly introducing a new region during this generation rather than just previewing it via standard rehashed games. Only being able to access a few areas would be pretty annoying, especially after they hinted at a new league. I don't think it makes sense to start teasing the next generation in XY, anyway, because it just serves to distract from the current generation ("Kalos is nice and all, but you should really check out my region!").

Technically, something akin to what you're describing already happened in HGSS: the Sinjoh Ruins event. It was a glimpse of another region (which we have yet to see in full) and the event revolved around Arceus, which was technically new at the time. At least that was an actual surprise rather than something that had been previously hinted to be a bigger deal than it actually was.

This would be a radically risky move for GameFreak, because it could yet again change the very fabric of what we expect from the franchise.
A "risky" move would be properly introducing a new region during this generation rather than just previewing it via standard rehashed games. Only being able to access a few areas would be pretty annoying, especially after they hinted at a new league. I don't think it makes sense to start teasing the next generation in XY, anyway, because it just serves to distract from the current generation ("Kalos is nice and all, but you should really check out my region!").

Technically, something akin to what you're describing already happened in HGSS: the Sinjoh Ruins event. It was a glimpse of another region (which we have yet to see in full) and the event revolved around Arceus, which was technically new at the time. At least that was an actual surprise rather than something that had been previously hinted to be a bigger deal than it actually was.

Sinjoh wasn't part of a new region. It was south of Sinnoh (which we'd already seen), North of Johto. Or was it a new region? Now I'm confused. And I'll check out that other thread in a second. But where did they hint at a new league? They just mentioned the waterfall and give you the souvenir.

Sinjoh wasn't part of a new region. It was south of Sinnoh (which we'd already seen), North of Johto. Or was it a new region?
It was said to be a place where people from Johto (Ruins of Alph) and Sinnoh (Spear Pillar) had migrated, meaning that it is neither in Johto nor Sinnoh.

Cynthia: "The Sinjoh Ruins remind me of Sinnoh, where I come from. Initially, I thought it was because it snows a lot here as well. But that was not it. A long time ago... people came from Sinnoh to live here. They must have built a temple here while longing for home. That's why we call these the Sinjoh Ruins..."

But where did they hint at a new league? They just mentioned the waterfall and give you the souvenir.
The backpacker mentioned his region having a Champion, a facility and a special town. We also know from the Strange Souvenir's description that the region is far from Kalos.

It was said to be a place where people from Johto (Ruins of Alph) and Sinnoh (Spear Pillar) had migrated, meaning that it is neither in Johto nor Sinnoh.

Cynthia: "The Sinjoh Ruins remind me of Sinnoh, where I come from. Initially, I thought it was because it snows a lot here as well. But that was not it. A long time ago... people came from Sinnoh to live here. They must have built a temple here while longing for home. That's why we call these the Sinjoh Ruins..."

But where did they hint at a new league? They just mentioned the waterfall and give you the souvenir.
The backpacker mentioned his region having a Champion, a facility and a special town. We also know from the Strange Souvenir's description that the region is far from Kalos.

It must be a midway point that's part of both regions. Like Tojoh Falls (Kanto + Johto) and the Sevii Islands (Kanto + Hoenn) or to a lesser extent, like the Embedded Tower (Hoenn + Johto) and the Cave Of Being (Sinnoh + Unova)

It must be a midway point that's part of both regions. Like Tojoh Falls (Kanto + Johto) and the Sevii Islands (Kanto + Hoenn) or to a lesser extent, like the Embedded Tower (Hoenn + Johto) and the Cave Of Being (Sinnoh + Unova)
The Sevii Islands are their own archipelago and the Sinjoh Ruins are obviously not part of Johto or Sinnoh. Just because there are connections to other regions doesn't mean that the ruins aren't part of their own region, as should logically be the case. The Cave of Being is part of Unova's map, and the Embedded Tower is part of Johto's map even though it is on an island that presumably extends to another region.

Nah. Whatever the strange souvenir and all the hints allude to, its not gonna be something in remakes.

Whilst I don't think we will se a use of the strange souvenir I, for some reason think that the same hiker will re-appear again and give further hints about this "new region". I do like the vagueness though, mainly cause it keeps us on our toes, but to use it in a remake?? I don't think its a good idea.....

I don't think it'll happen, nor would I want it to. OR/AS should stick to their respective focuses.

As for Diancie, I think her mega getting announced early isn't that surprising given that she's taking a prominent role in the upcoming movie. We saw Mewtwo's mega evolution disguised as a "new Pokemon" last year months before it was shown in the movie.

The Sevii Islands are their own archipelago and the Sinjoh Ruins are obviously not part of Johto or Sinnoh. Just because there are connections to other regions doesn't mean that the ruins aren't part of their own region, as should logically be the case. The Cave of Being is part of Unova's map, and the Embedded Tower is part of Johto's map even though it is on an island that presumably extends to another region.

Well, either way, the point of this thread is to discuss the Strange Souvenir... I really hope they don't just completely ignore it. Maybe we'll get a handful of new Generation 6 Pokémon with this legendary as one of them in some random region we can travel to in Z version.

Well, either way, the point of this thread is to discuss the Strange Souvenir... I really hope they don't just completely ignore it. Maybe we'll get a handful of new Generation 6 Pokémon with this legendary as one of them in some random region we can travel to in Z version.
Why would you want it to be a "random" region in a third version? If the region has its own league and at least a few Pokémon, which it does, then it deserves its own game rather than being shoved into rehashed games focusing on other regions.

Why would you want it to be a "random" region in a third version? If the region has its own league and at least a few Pokémon, which it does, then it deserves its own game rather than being shoved into rehashed games focusing on other regions.

Who said anything about the region with the league. By random region, I meant like Sinjoh. A place that isn't Kalos or this new region, but it connects to them both. And it would have a handful of new Pokémon (maybe 10-15) that can't be found in either region, but being classified as Kalos Pokémon, with the exception of the legendary protector, who can also be encountered there. And the protector would have a ??? as his Pokédex number, referencing that it hasn't been identified or classified yet. Then onto generation 7.

Who said anything about the region with the league. By random region, I meant like Sinjoh. A place that isn't Kalos or this new region, but it connects to them both. And it would have a handful of new Pokémon (maybe 10-15) that can't be found in either region, but being classified as Kalos Pokémon, with the exception of the legendary protector, who can also be encountered there. And the protector would have a ??? as his Pokédex number, referencing that it hasn't been identified or classified yet. Then onto generation 7.
I repeat: Why is this desirable? Do we really need to have this generation be filled with pre-cursors to the next one, when Game Freak could simply introduce a new region in its full form without labeling it as a new generation? It may not be what they're used to doing, but if they're just going to stick to their formula then there was really no need to mention a new region in the first place. We all know that Generation VII will be released eventually.

I repeat: Why is this desirable? Do we really need to have this generation be filled with pre-cursors to the next one, when Game Freak could simply introduce a new region in its full form without labeling it as a new generation? It may not be what they're used to doing, but if they're just going to stick to their formula then there was really no need to mention a new region in the first place. We all know that Generation VII will be released eventually.

They already DID fill X and Y with pre-cursors to generation 7. Why is it so horrible to think that OR/AS might be filled with them, too? We already know they'll have subtle references to Sinnoh, and maybe Unova and Kalos.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom