• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could The Winstrate Family Be Expanded In ORAS?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
Back In Generation 3, there were only two types of battles. Single and Double. There were also 5 Winstrate family members. Since Generation 5 came out with Triple and Rotation Battles, I've always thought that the Winstrate Family should've been used to highlight and test the player's skill in the different types of battles. So if the remakes were to do that, then here's how I'd imagine it to go:

Victor (Father): Double Battle - He has a Taillow and Zigzagoon

Victoria (Mother): Triple Battle - She has a Roselia, and her team could now include a Slugma and a Horsea (Grass, Fire, Water)

Vivi (Daughter): Rotation Battle - She has a Marill, Shroomish and Numel

Vicky (Grandmother): Inverse Battle - She has a Meditite

Now here's where the family could be expanded for the other types of battle:

Vic (Grandfather): Sky Battle - He could have a Swablu, Skarmory and a Wingull

Toria, Victo, and Vee (Triplets): Multi Battle - Toria would be your partner. She has Cacnea, Spoink and Magnemite. Victo has Corphish, Machop and Snorunt as his team, while Vee claims Poochyena, Skitty and Feebas for her own.

Vici (pronounced "vee-chee", Latin for "I conquered", taken from the saying "Veni, vedi, vici"["I came, I saw, I conquered"]){Daughter}: Horde Battles - Her team consists of five Magikarp, all level 7, which she sends out all at once. She'd be the only trainer to ambush you in this way in the entire franchise.

And then Vito on Victory Road would represent the traditional single battle, but he'd have a full team to represent the Full Battle. His team would be all six of his R/S/E Pokémon: Swellow, Dodrio, Kadabra, Manectric, Electrode, and Shiftry.

What would you guys think of something like that happening with the Winstrate family? If anything, this should at least spark someone's creativity and they can use this for a Hoenn hack. ;)

In my opinion just leave as it is, i dislike Triple and Rotation Battles and i hate Sky Battles because of how restrictive they are, i mean it's a good concept but it was poorly executed even though i don't know the right way to execute it. I know the Winstrate family is optional but Sky Battle pretty much forces a person to have a flyer if he wants to fight the entire family (because you have to fight them all with no breaks), this is also the reason why i don't want Winona Gym battle to be a Sky Battle, i mean it makes sense but as i previously stated it forces a person to have a flyer or multiple flyers.

They are not mandatory so go ahead and do something crazy with them.

They are not mandatory so go ahead and do something crazy with them.

I agree 100%

I don't even think Vito is mandatory. If I remember right, you can walk BEHIND him in the Victory Road. LOL

I like this idea. Using a family for different battle styles? That might be interesting. And way to keep the Pokémon in the original Hoenn Dex instead of adding new Pokémon that fans want. However, maybe you would have to talk to them individually instead of battling them in a row, since battling them in a row would require you to have at least three Pokémon and one of them has to be flying. And can you rematch them every day to train yourself for those battles? I totally approve this idea.

Above all else... I want Vito to have a bigger role. They built him up so much and then I swept his team. When I was a kid I thought it was going to turn out that he was the final gym leader or part of the elite four or something. I honestly didn't believe it was him the first time I battled him.

I'm not expecting a big role or anything. Even just a slightly more difficult team or he gives you a TM or something would be nice.

Keep them the same as RSE the first time, then have them available for rematches after where they can be challenged individually with different battle types. You could have a different member of the family able to be rematched on different days of the week

Above all else... I want Vito to have a bigger role. They built him up so much and then I swept his team. When I was a kid I thought it was going to turn out that he was the final gym leader or part of the elite four or something. I honestly didn't believe it was him the first time I battled him.

I'm not expecting a big role or anything. Even just a slightly more difficult team or he gives you a TM or something would be nice.

I always thought he was like the Mew of the Generation 3 games. Talked about but never seen. I don't remember fighting him at all, and I didn't even know he existed until I saw him on Bulbapedia last year. #Oops

I honestly thought that if we were going to meet him, he'd be the Champion. I never expected it to be Steven. And to be fair, they did say he was the strongest of the family, and he was. But he was still nothing special lol

I wanted Vito to turn into a new late-game rival that you meet closer to the end of your journey (Gym 6 onward). Its weird that, as a trainer, all your main rivalries just come from your home town, so it would be interesting if they did something different with him.

In particular, I think he could make up for Wally not appearing much--only appearing when you help him catch a Pokemon, and then when he battles you at Mauville. Personally, I want Wally to stay like this because its interesting to just see a character that starts off so weak succeeding in the end, and just hearing from secondary sources (e.g., his aunt and uncle, and his mother) his progression.

I think Vito can feed into this story. Vito has been portrayed as a green haired trainer. What if we start hearing stories of a green haired up-and-comming trainer from central Hoenn (both Wally, starting off from Verdanturf and Vito in the route above Mauville fit this story). We hear about these rumors around Gym 6 (gives Wally enough time to develop, especially since you've already revisited his family in Petalburg and heard he's doing well), and we encounter Vito. I'd personally like it if he were someone you teamed up with the first time rather than battled, and have his Pokemon higher than even Tate and Liza's at that point (indicating his strength). New players may come to the conclusion its Vito, but then by the time we get to the Pokemon League, we fight Vito and win, and then we also see Wally near the end with even stronger Pokemon.

It's never made explicitly clear who those rumors were referring to, but its referring to Wally as Vito wasn't really a new trainer to begin with.

Obviously give Vito a unique trainer model. It would be good to expand Vito's role like this since the Riches were basically the Winstrate of Unova--except you got money from them so it was worth it. Like, we have this family of battlers but they're really not worthy of note.

I always thought he was like the Mew of the Generation 3 games. Talked about but never seen. I don't remember fighting him at all, and I didn't even know he existed until I saw him on Bulbapedia last year. #Oops

He's literally given a blink-and-miss moment.

I wanted Vito to turn into a new late-game rival that you meet closer to the end of your journey (Gym 6 onward). Its weird that, as a trainer, all your main rivalries just come from your home town, so it would be interesting if they did something different with him.

In particular, I think he could make up for Wally not appearing much--only appearing when you help him catch a Pokemon, and then when he battles you at Mauville. Personally, I want Wally to stay like this because its interesting to just see a character that starts off so weak succeeding in the end, and just hearing from secondary sources (e.g., his aunt and uncle, and his mother) his progression.

I think Vito can feed into this story. Vito has been portrayed as a green haired trainer. What if we start hearing stories of a green haired up-and-comming trainer from central Hoenn (both Wally, starting off from Verdanturf and Vito in the route above Mauville fit this story). We hear about these rumors around Gym 6 (gives Wally enough time to develop, especially since you've already revisited his family in Petalburg and heard he's doing well), and we encounter Vito. I'd personally like it if he were someone you teamed up with the first time rather than battled, and have his Pokemon higher than even Tate and Liza's at that point (indicating his strength). New players may come to the conclusion its Vito, but then by the time we get to the Pokemon League, we fight Vito and win, and then we also see Wally near the end with even stronger Pokemon.

It's never made explicitly clear who those rumors were referring to, but its referring to Wally as Vito wasn't really a new trainer to begin with.

Obviously give Vito a unique trainer model. It would be good to expand Vito's role like this since the Riches were basically the Winstrate of Unova--except you got money from them so it was worth it. Like, we have this family of battlers but they're really not worthy of note.

He's literally given a blink-and-miss moment.

It's sad because they could've done a lot with him. I mean, it's such a "WTF just happened" moment that THREE different versions of the games (German, Italian and Spanish) renamed him differently than his family because they were oblivious to the connection. I agree. Make him a mid-game rival. Is it really too much to ask that throughout our journey, we spark the curiosity of other trainers and make them our friends and rivals? I mean, I get the point of making our rivals be from our hometown. We start out at the same time, so us as players become invested in the rivalry. But if future games are going to continue the trend B/W and X/Y set of MULTIPLE friendly rivals (which I love. I think it's cute!), then at least give us another one every two gyms instead of slapping us in the face with all of them at once. Y'know what I mean?

This is actually an interesting theory. With the way they had them set up as a battling family, I would have thought they would have done more with their characters in the games. They were just voluntary battles that could be fought and forgotten. Such a shame as they seem like characters that had potential. I didn't even know the strongest family member was on Victory Road until years later when I looked up this information online.

The battling techniques you mentioned make a lot of sense and it would be interesting to see if they added something like this to the games. It would be a shame to limit that kind of expansion.

This is actually an interesting theory. With the way they had them set up as a battling family, I would have thought they would have done more with their characters in the games. They were just voluntary battles that could be fought and forgotten. Such a shame as they seem like characters that had potential. I didn't even know the strongest family member was on Victory Road until years later when I looked up this information online.

The battling techniques you mentioned make a lot of sense and it would be interesting to see if they added something like this to the games. It would be a shame to limit that kind of expansion.

I don't think GameFreak would ever use my idea, but at the very least I hope they made the entire family (including Vito) much more stronger. I mean FFS, it was so easy to beat them back in the day. (For others. For me, it usually took me three tries LOL)

Even just giving him a unique model and having his name (and possibly Wally's) names on the gym statues would give us a sense of progression. Vito is a character that I wouldn't mind if he were mysterious. I just don't like how they do almost nothing with him.

Even just giving him a unique model and having his name (and possibly Wally's) names on the gym statues would give us a sense of progression. Vito is a character that I wouldn't mind if he were mysterious. I just don't like how they do almost nothing with him.

Exactly. They literally have him show up, get his ass kicked and he's never brought up again... #Mess

Vito should become a rival-like character that you battle many times throughout the game... Maybe he could also have something to do with the Team's plot or he could help you defeat them or something.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom