• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could The Winstrate Family Be Expanded In ORAS?

Vito should become a rival-like character that you battle many times throughout the game... Maybe he could also have something to do with the Team's plot or he could help you defeat them or something.

Another great idea that GameFreak will never use and will probably be implemented into a fan hack. -_- Sometimes I wish gaming corporations would hire fans to give feedback and stuff. Like focus groups, but more important.

Vito should become a rival-like character that you battle many times throughout the game... Maybe he could also have something to do with the Team's plot or he could help you defeat them or something.

Another great idea that GameFreak will never use and will probably be implemented into a fan hack. -_- Sometimes I wish gaming corporations would hire fans to give feedback and stuff. Like focus groups, but more important.

To be fair, I'm not so sure about him being a third rival. In theory, it would be great but keep in mind that we already have two severely underdeveloped rivals in these games alone. Wally and Brandon should probably have priority over Vito.

To be fair, I'm not so sure about him being a third rival. In theory, it would be great but keep in mind that we already have two severely underdeveloped rivals in these games alone. Wally and Brandon should probably have priority over Vito.

You're right. I was actually gonna say "but they have to make sure that Wally and May/Brenden become proper rivals first". And then, once they have done that, they also make Vito a rival.
GF has done 3 rivals before (Black/White), and the way they did it was pretty good as well, IMO. So I hope I'm not overestimating them.

You're right. I was actually gonna say "but they have to make sure that Wally and May/Brenden become proper rivals first". And then, once they have done that, they also make Vito a rival.
GF has done 3 rivals before (Black/White), and the way they did it was pretty good as well, IMO. So I hope I'm not overestimating them.

Yeah! Bianca, Cheren and N were extremely developed in B/W (Bianca trying to find what path she should take, Cheren discovering that strength isn't everything, N realizing that Pokémon and humans could co-exist peacefully). I can see May/Brendan having a career crisis like Bianca, Wally striving to prove to himself and to his family that he can stand on his own, and maybe Vito could be trying to make his family proud.

Side note: As much as I liked having 4 rivals in X and Y, it seems like they're always there, but they never battle you. You fight Shauna, Tierno and Trevor maybe two times each? Serena/Calem is your only real competition and even they battle you rarely (it seems like...)

Nope. Either make them a tad stronger or keep them as is. I would like to see the one Ace Trainer in Victory Road be confirmed as a Winstrate though.

N wasn't a rival.

More on topic, I don't really think they need to do much more with the Winstrate family, but it would always be cool to see what they could potentially do to expand them. As for making Vito a rival, I couldn't see it happening, unless it was post game, and even that's a stretch. It would be a bit strange to make an otherwise random Victory Road NPC in the originals suddenly bumped up to rival status. Maybe have him go home after you beat the league and you can battle the Winstrates again daily with stronger Pokemon?

What happens when you don't have a flying type?
Flying battles are good as standalones, but they wouldn't work as part of a broader challenge.

N wasn't a rival.
I would say he is a rival. But that depends on how you define what a rival is. You battle him five times (in total) in BW, and according to myself, that is enough to gain "rival" status.

As for making Vito a rival, I couldn't see it happening, unless it was post game, and even that's a stretch. It would be a bit strange to make an otherwise random Victory Road NPC in the originals suddenly bumped up to rival status. Maybe have him go home after you beat the league and you can battle the Winstrates again daily with stronger Pokemon?

But the thing is, he's not really a random NPC, there's also 4 other people that mention him. He's as random as Wally is (when you meet him initially), it's just that you meet Wally more times throughout the game.

(I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, so let me explain. When you first meet Wally, he's just a random NPC who you have to help catch a Pokemon. That by itself is not anything special. As for Vito, even before you meet him, they already set him up as someone really strong and whatnot. He feels like he needs a bit more screen time than he has gotten. One battle against someone that's been hyped by 4 other people? Who's supposed to make me "end up crying in frustration"? And who might be as strong as the Champion?)

IF one had met Vito or his family members more times later on, he would be less random. And to be honest, when I first played Emerald and the family told me about him, I thought he would be sort of like a rival (as in, at least you would battle him a few times throughout the game), but I was wrong.

But even if he isn't a rival or something close, I wouldn't mind your alternative of just re-battling at the Winstrate home.

So anyway, I had another idea. Instead of battling the 4 Winstrates at once and then Vito later on, maybe they could spread them out through the game. So they're like a "rival family" to the player. You battle the weaker one near the beginning, then the next in the middle, then the next in the latter middle, then the next in the early ending, and then finally, Vito at the end. And post-E4, you can re-battle them at their home.

I would say he is a rival. But that depends on how you define what a rival is. You battle him five times (in total) in BW, and according to myself, that is enough to gain "rival" status.

I wouldn't really cite him as a rival just because you battle him many times, but if that's how you define it, then ok~

But the thing is, he's not really a random NPC, there's also 4 other people that mention him. He's as random as Wally is (when you meet him initially), it's just that you meet Wally more times throughout the game.

(I know I'm gonna get bashed for this, so let me explain. When you first meet Wally, he's just a random NPC who you have to help catch a Pokemon. That by itself is not anything special. As for Vito, even before you meet him, they already set him up as someone really strong and whatnot. He feels like he needs a bit more screen time than he has gotten. One battle against someone that's been hyped by 4 other people? Who's supposed to make me "end up crying in frustration"? And who might be as strong as the Champion?)

IF one had met Vito or his family members more times later on, he would be less random. And to be honest, when I first played Emerald and the family told me about him, I thought he would be sort of like a rival (as in, at least you would battle him a few times throughout the game), but I was wrong.

That's why I said "otherwise random". If it weren't for the other Winstrates, he would have just been another Victory Road trainer. And I just don't personally think that's really enough to suddenly make him a full-on rival. I mean, that'd mean Charles the Heartbreaker could be a rival. They'd have to introduce him much earlier, which I don't see as very likely.

However, if they did and maybe had Vito originally be at the Winstrate house when you first go there and then decide to become something of a rival upon seeing you defeat his family, and battle you from time to time, then I could see something like that happening.

Otherwise, I'm still for having him just go back home post-league, and you can just rebattle all the Winstrates daily.

N is short of rival, short of villian, short of possible shipping partner. Point is he is there and is core of B/W series *I don't play B2/W2 so idk if they change much in there*

I've never aware of Vito before till I read this thread. Making him suddenlly as a 'rival' is also kinda too much for me. But, I guess they can add 'more' into his characters and familly. Like they did on the kimono girls and Monday-Sunday in the past. Maybe in battle mode. *Like you can battle them everyday and they change battle style everytime and give you rewards after you win, different rewards everytime and they get stronger depend on how often you battle them* or something like that...

I wouldn't really cite him as a rival just because you battle him many times, but if that's how you define it, then ok~

That IS how you define it lol Otherwise, every random trainer would be your rival. Even though he IS a part of Team Plasma, he's your main rival in Black and White because of how you represent Truth/Ideals and he represents Ideals/Truth. The entire game is centralized around that conflict. I definitely count him as a rival.

That IS how you define it lol Otherwise, every random trainer would be your rival. Even though he IS a part of Team Plasma, he's your main rival in Black and White because of how you represent Truth/Ideals and he represents Ideals/Truth. The entire game is centralized around that conflict. I definitely count him as a rival.

A rival is generally defined as someone you're competing against to reach some goal in common, not just someone you fight a lot. N and the PC do not have similar goals, whatsoever, nor are they competing against each other for anything.

how about replacing their house with a Camerupt farm (gee, where did I come up with this idea?? haha) that has two houses and a barn? One house could be the original Winstrates with the same [but with updated teams maybe], while a second house in the farm have the new members like you mentioned, TC. Then the barn could just be there because reasons.

I just think every member coming out of the same house if they add to the family would get stale

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom