• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Crack Pairings - A discussion

Cena

King of LesYay
Reaction score
So, what do you think about crack pairings? Before you ask "WTF IS A CRACK PAIRING ALSO WHY IS THE CREEPY NEW KID TALKING TO ME", a summary...

Crack Pairing article on TVTropes. ((WARNING - CLICKING THIS LINK MAY CREATE A TVTROPES LOOP, A PROCESS WHERE YOU WILL READ ARTICLE AFTER ARTICLE ON TVTROPES AND WASTE ALL OF YOUR TIME FOR THE DAY. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.))

Shipping beyond all bounds of sanity. There are official couples and there are couples drawn from more-or-less subjective subtext, and then there are these. Characters who are shipped together despite barely even having a relationship in canon. Sometimes they haven't even met in canon. Sometimes they don't even belong to the same 'verse (that's what cross overs are for, after all) or to the same species.

Crack pairings range from the making-you-scratch-your-head-in-puzzlement weird, to the eyes-gouging-with-a-fork-inducing weird. But they always leave you asking "Why? By all that is holy, WHY?"

I'm choosing to take a more loose interpretation of the term, which is a pairing that has little-to-no canonical possibility that the original shipper could view as working.

I know there are some of them out there, but I want to know what you think. What pairings that could be considered crack do you like, and what do you think of Crack Pairings as a whole?

I personally ship Karen/Cynthia. Why? ...no particular reason, I just think they'd be cute together. ^^;

...FINALLY! I was going make a thread like this, but decided to put it off :D!!!

PaulxMay. Don't go spaz. May is almost the polar oposite of Paul. =D

Plus they look hot together They look so cute together. If they met, they should have interesting interactions They'll be like wild fire under the sheets

*Shot and kicked in the shins*

I hear Karen's a freak in the sack

Interesting paring - never thought of that. I'd like to see it written well. ^^

Eh, I'm not a big fan of Paul; he's a great character, but he doesn't deserve to have anyone, period. He's too cold for any relationship to really work.

May doesn't deserve someone as low as him, I'd rather be a Contestshipper than that. :O

Anyway, let's see, are there any crack pairings I think I like...Image and Sapphirepearl kind of count, but I don't openly say I'm a supporter all the time.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of Paul; he's a great character, but he doesn't deserve to have anyone, period. He's too cold for any relationship to really work.

May doesn't deserve someone as low as him, I'd rather be a Contestshipper than that. :O

Anyway, let's see, are there any crack pairings I think I like...Image and Sapphirepearl kind of count, but I don't openly say I'm a supporter all the time.

D: I want May to be the person to melt his icy heart! It'll be so romantic...*covers ears with hands at the words I rather be a ContestShipper* LALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

But still, I agree with Image and SapphirePearlShipping. But it isn't really crack? They're already friends...

He's too frozen over to be warmed. D: I think it's somewhat crack-ish because the writers probably won't ever support yaoi or yuri in their anime. xD

Annnd I'll stop my spamming now...xD

Crack pairings range from the making-you-scratch-your-head-in-puzzlement weird, to the eyes-gouging-with-a-fork-inducing weird. But they always leave you asking "Why? By all that is holy, WHY?"

So basically, we just throw all the names into a blender and see what comes out?
Max x Paul! Horsea x Misty! Joy x Joy x Joy x ... x Joy! Ash's hat x Primape! Bayleef x Cynthia! Delia x Erika! Sabriba's dad x Flint!

Anyone x their left hand?

I suppose I've secretly shipped some crack pairings... Morty/Sabrina was my first I think, I came up with it after I played Gold... because Morty is a ghost trainer and Sabrina is a psychic trainer. C:

If you want to look at it from the gameverse point of view, I guess my Almiashipping obsession is crack... but from the Ranger manga point of view it is feasible. :b

Dear lord, this encompasses 75% of my favorite ships. owo

A few of my crack-iest;;
Androgynyshipping (bugsy & anabel)
Because crossdressing is adorable. :C This one actually came to be after I read this really adorable manga called Hourou Musuko. (you should read it~)

Blockheadshipping (brawly & roark)
Idek. It's just so effin cute. <3 Plus I think their personalities would work really well together.

Hummingbirdshipping (falkner & erika)
Love this ship to death. I just think they'd be perfect for each other - they're both very formal, and they both obviously come from traditional Japanese families. I have this whole "arranged marriage turned love" scenario worked out for them. /overinvested

HeartScaleshipping (wallace & norman)
I actually named this one myself. |D It began b/c of this adorable fanart I found. At first I thought it was too random even for me, but the more I thought about it the more I was like "MY GOD, IT SOMEHOW MAKES SENSE!" Haha~~

Octobershipping (nando & cheryl)
I honestly have no idea where this came from. But damn do I love it. <3

Chartreuseshipping (harley & tracey)
N'aww~~ Tracey's so laid-back, while Harley's a bit high-strung, so I can definitely see this working. I'm really considering writing fic for this pairing... So many possible cute scenarios!

Popshipping (dahlia & dj mary)
... It works in my mind, okay? =3=

AND MUCH, MUCH MORE.
I think the reason I like crack ships so much is that you have to really think about how the characters would play off each other personality-wise. With canon/subtext-y ships, you've already seen how the characters interact, but with crack pairings you have to make it up as you go. IMHO, crack ships are more fun/interesting/challenging, especially for fic writers.
... Or maybe they're just awesome in their weirdness. Either which way. ;D

Well. Egoshipping is tied with Contestshipping as my favorite ship.

I just love the whole idea of Gary and Misty together, even though they were hardly even in any scenes together.
I use to be a huge Pokeshipper, but I guess 'friendship' pairings tend to bore me after awhile. :c
With Egoshipping it always feels fresh and new to me.

Not to mention they both just look pretty hot together. xD
But fics portray this couple really well. Misty's fiery attitude with Gary's cocky attitude. It just sort of clashes and you can't help but warm up to it as the story goes on.

OH PERFECT!!! =D (I praise and thank you for making this lol)

I AM IN LOVE WITH SHOOTDOWNSHIPPING (KennyxZoey)
Think I'm weird but I always thought they would make a cute couple! When I found out about this I had to support it!

Another one is: (MExBROCK) Lol...He hasn't met me but I AM in love with Brock! (But give me a break he can clean and cook anything in a madder of secs. =D)

I must admit that I ship some crackships. Here are few of the crackships that I like. (I'm too lazy to type the rest):

BoastShipping - Barry/Ursula - Ursula was my favorite CoTD so I had to ship her with somebody. As I was scrolling through the incomplete shippers list I found this wonderful ship. So I thought about how they would interact with eachother, Ursula being the diva she is and Barry being all spazzy would balance it out. In addition, they look cute together. (In my opinion)

LoliShotaShipping - Steven/Cynthia - I was scrolling through the shipping pictures thread here. There were so many pictures with Steven, which got me thinking that I should ship him with someone. So why not Cynthia? I thought it would be cool to have a champion pair. They have many similarities as well and they both look great together.

Another one is: (MExBROCK) Lol...He hasn't met me but I AM in love with Brock! (But give me a break he can clean and cook anything in a madder of secs. =D)

I might as well as say this one then: (Me x Dawn) Hey look, she can cook too!
Plus, she's hot... Lol

OH MY! How could I forget about BOATSHIPPING!!!! I support that ship's cuteness to! =D (shortest post ever!)

Well, yes and no. No, because they've met each other and "conversed". xD

Yes, because Ash won't ever receive that evil aura thing again. I forget exactly how he got it in the first place, he touched some ancient artifact or something.

Well, yes and no. No, because they've met each other and "conversed". xD

Yes, because Ash won't ever receive that evil aura thing again. I forget exactly how he got it in the first place, he touched some ancient artifact or something.

Is there a name for that shipping :O?

Hummingbirdshipping (falkner & erika)
Love this ship to death. I just think they'd be perfect for each other - they're both very formal, and they both obviously come from traditional Japanese families. I have this whole "arranged marriage turned love" scenario worked out for them. /overinvested
Actually, I'm intrigued now. I would totally read a fic with that type of storyline. C:

Interesting discussion, should be fun. :shy:

I'd have to say Me x Misty x May x Cynthia. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

More seriously, probably Dawn x Richie since Richie is practically an Ash clone.

Ash x Duplica would be fun since she could imitate any girl Ash ever met. :-D

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom