• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Craziest Rumors

Reaction score
What is the craziest rumor you heard from someone about a Pokemon game? Mine is that I thought Munchlax existed in FR/LG. This was later disproved after forcing someone to breed a Snorlax for me...

Did anyone hear the one that spread like a forest fire around the world? I'm referring to the one where if you put your Magikarp into the Daycare Center outside of Cerulean City (this is the Red, Blue, Yellow era), let it level up until it reaches level fifty, take it out and train it up one more level, it'll evolve into a Mew?

I can't believe I fell for it, too. It's a crazy rumor I really shouldn't have paid attention to.

Never heard it. Its not something as big as Pikablu since I knew about that even when I didn't know the interwebz existed.

My friend was saying you can catch a golden totodile in Ecruteak and that at level 99 a Chikorita can learn a move called "Temperature"

Apparently, if one shouts ''Gotcha!'' into the SPEAKERS of the DS whilst one is trying to catch a Pokemon it increases the catch rate of the ball you are using! I mean, COME ON! That is worse than the various ones detailing various button presses to increase the catch rate!

That one left me speechless.

Down + B = easy catch.

I still do this, though I know it doesn't work.

Down + B = easy catch.

I still do this, though I know it doesn't work.

The one I first came across made you alternate between A and B very quickly. Which took ages to stop as a habit, after I realised the fraudulent nature of the rumour. Of course I only realised this because I happened to stumble across several more rumours of the same type. I was eight to ten at the time.

The truck.

I never fell for it though... And I heard this even before the movie came here...

There were many rumors about how keeping the starter unevolved until level 99/100/over would make it learn something along the lines of "fire beam" and such. I had a lv 100 charmander, yes, but not becouse of this, and it didn't learn anything special.

And of course, this one that said that a pokemon with pokerus would die. Probably to trick players from having an otherwise more powerful pokemon...

Apparently, if one shouts ''Gotcha!'' into the SPEAKERS of the DS whilst one is trying to catch a Pokemon it increases the catch rate of the ball you are using! I mean, COME ON! That is worse than the various ones detailing various button presses to increase the catch rate!

That one left me speechless.

...Funny you should mention that *looks around akwardly*
It's not something I do every time, but sometimes it does feel good to think that you could slightly influence your catch rate

As far crazy rumors go, I've actually tried this one who knows how many times (taken directly from cheatcc):
"Go to Canalave City. Talk to Sailor Eldrich, then say "No" to his offer. Fly home (Twinleaf), and save the game. Turn off the DS. When you continue the game, it will start with a quiz (like the interviews). Select a word and choose "Confirm". Your character should look like the selected word. For example, using the word "AIPOM" will result in your character dressed in an "Aipom suit". The trainer card now shows the sprite in an Aipom suit. Recommended words are CHARIZARD, BATTLE, ARCEUS, and LINK."

God, do I feel so foolish thinking about how many times I tried this.

Dragonite evolving into Yoshi in both R/B/Y and G/S/C. Of course, I was younger at the time, so I did fall for it, but not to the point I actually tried it because the "process" in R/B/Y was fairly convoluted. This was made worse by the fact that many R/B/Y glitches actually were real.

When you perform the Missingno glitch in the original game, the non-Missingno Pokemon you meet depend on your character's name (that part is true). There are certain combinations of letters in your name that make you meet Mew there (that part is not).

At least that one sounds relatively plausible (until your realise no one seems to know how to get Mew this way).

And of course, the so-called "Mew glitch" (it has nothing to do with Mew, guys) as originally posted - I remember everyone calling bullshit on it, refusing to try it, and assume those who claimed it worked were playing along, with video evidence being forged. Heh.

...Funny you should mention that *looks around akwardly*
It's not something I do every time, but sometimes it does feel good to think that you could slightly influence your catch rate.

Sorry. But I think someone made it up to make everyone else look stupid.

The pressing buttons one at least, does not make you look stupid. Unless someone is watching you closely!

Pikablu... yeah I remember that one until I found out it was acutlly marril

A few roumers:

In R/S/E if you take a lv75 rayquaza to professor Birch he is supposed to show you a bag with 99 rare candies in it.

And the big one: If you get in R/S 100 launches succesfully in Mossdeep Space center you can go to the moon on the next flight and catch Jirichi. Same in Emerald, you only need 61 sucessful launches. I have never actually got my game that far, so I can't say if its true or not.

ALso in R/S/E I was told you can catch 3 legendary beasts. You have to go to the Cave of origin with a lv100 pokemon as your first in your party, go to where you found kyogre/groudon and you must have a pokemon that knows dive. Use dive at the spot where you battled kyogre and you should be brought out to this place with a trainer. The trainer will battle you with legendary beasts, then they will roam if you beat them and you can catch them. Note: You can't dive in cave of origin.
Down + B = easy catch.

I was told it was (In Gen III games) after you throw pokeball, hold "B" button and press the left and right buttons the direction the pokeball moves and you should catch the pokemon easier. I even still do it sometimes even though its probably not so true.

I also heard a rumor going around when Gen II was just being seen that if you got all three legendary birds and used a particular stone on all of them, they would evolve into one pokemon, (three birds would be on bird afterward) a "rainbow" pokemon that was all types all in one, but the rumor probably was referring to Ho-oh as its the rainbow pokemon.

Last edited:
I've down the down +b and the rapib alternating between a+b was fake for years, and I still do it out of habit.
XD

For me, I never believe the rumors, but I did fall for the pikablu one when I was 8. I was like "WTF, HOW DO I CATCH DAT POGEYMAN?" XD

That's probably what he meant by the Truck. I wouldn't even call it an Easter Egg in the original games because it had no purpose apart from aesthetic design. The Lava Cookie under it in the remakes may have been an Easter Egg.

Another one I fell for was that I thought that males were faster than females. That was easily disproven...however, I actually noticed that it was true for a VERY LONG TIME.

Last edited:
1: Start up your Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald game.
2: Go to Mossdeep City.
3: Bust through the door in the guy's house using your Bicycle, then the guy will chase after you.
4: Ignore him & go through the door. You should find Steven, he will give you the Ocarina of time.
5: Fly to Sootopolis City, stand in front of the Gym.
6: Play the song of storms.
7: In Ruby or Sapphire, Sootopolis City will drown. In Emerald, Juan will yell at you before the water floods the city.
8: Either way, go to Mt. Pyre, the couple on top want you to find something very dificult to find, CHERRY PIE.
9: Your character will find it next to him/her.
10: The old man will throw the pie off the mountain & tell you to find it again.
11: In Ruby & Sapphire, you have to jump off the mountain & get the pie. It will then start floating, follow it until it leads you to Mew.
12: In Emerald, however, you will be asked to play a song with a piece of tissue paper. Do it. Fly back to Sootopolis City.
13: After going to Soootopolis, Use Dive & Mermaid Juan will give you Mew. Then the old man on Mt. Pyre will slap you for not finding his pie.
14: Enjoy Mew!

and this
From Chris K.:

"In the days of Missingno.'s discovery, I invented an alternate 'M through gameshark, I wasn't thinking right and I entered 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 in my gameshark. I went in tall grass and it said: Wild Cheese appeared! I soon told my friend about "Cheese" and soon the whole school knew. Someone asked if I knew about "Cheese". When I said that I made it, he said his evolved his with a leaf stone into mew! It is 100% fake. Wouldn't I know if "Cheese" could evolved?"

credit to trsrockin

that is crzy

try to top that

Last edited:
I heard that pressing the A button while the rubber ducks are going around a Pokémon's head from being Confused will make the Pokémon more likely to attack successfully.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom