• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create a New Ability

Wow... Some good ones here! Although, there are quite a few overpowered abilities here too. xD

Here are some more I made up:

Fairy's Curse: Sharply Lowers the Sp. Attack of the foe who knocks it out (2 stages).

Ice Armor: Raises Defense and Sp. Defense in a Hailstorm.

Mirror Shield: Blocks away Light and Beam-Based Moves.

Lax Aura: Status moves of all Pokemon in battle become 50% in accuracy.

Cosmic Malice: The Pokemon disables Sun, Moon, Meteor, and Cosmic moves upon entering battle. (3-5 turns)

Reversal of Fortune

Opposing Pokemon's weaker moves does double damage, while stronger moves deals half damage. The threshold could be 30-40, I'm not sure.

Punishment

Opposing Pokemon cannot be healed from a status condition. Could be a legendary ability.

Amplifier

Sound-based attacking moves (Sonicboom, Uproar, etc) does double damage.

Synthesis

Normal-type moves becomes the using Pokemon's primary type. For example, Tackle would be Fire-type if used by Arcanine.

Homeostasis: Heals Burn or Freeze once in combat

Static Heal: Heals Pokemon a small amount each turn when Paralyzed

Frost Heal: Heals Pokemon a small amount each turn when Frozen

Sleep Heal: Heals Pokemon a small amount each turn when asleep

Mirror Force: When hit with Super Effective attack, deals same amount of damage to opponent, even if KOed.

Squall: Flying-type moves increase by 30% and +1 increased priority.

Cold Shoulder: 30% chance of causing Frozen status when hit with contact move.

Tyrant: When hit with Super Effective move, Attack stat maxed out.

Shadowalk: Ghost and Dark moves gain +1 increased priority.

Live Wire: Electric-type moves gain 30% plus increased chance of Paralysis.

Buster: Ignores Reflect, Light Screen, Protect, Detect, and Safeguard, removing them upon attacking and deals 30% more damage.

Hotshot: Fire-type moves gain 30% plus increased chance of Burn.

That's about all I can think up off the top of my head.

Equalizer: Gives stat ups/downs to owner depending on the opponent's stats. Example if your slower than the opponent you get a speed boost but if your defense is higher then it goes down.

Wariate: Turns Normal type moves into Fighting type and increases damage by 30%.

Tachyon Surge: Increases speed of user and allies by one stage and lowers speed of opponent(s) by one stage. Mega/Primal Dialga's ability.

Spacial Warp: Changes opponent's Pokemon every 2 turns. Mega/Primal Palkia's ability

Distortion Backlash: Damages opponent when user takes a direct attack. Mega/Primal Giratina altered ability

Renegade's Wrath: Ghost/Dragon moves hit Normal/Fairy types and do 30% more damage. Mega/Primal Giratina O ability

Irresolution - Choice items will not lock the bearer of this ability into one move.

Sleet Feet - Doubles speed in Hail.

Cold Slush - Anytime the bearer is hit with a contact move, the attacker's speed will be lowered by 1.

Permafrost - Doubles the Defense stat of the bearer. (Huge Power for Defense)

Thaw Veil - The bearer gains the resistances of the Water type.

Immortality - can not be damaged by any type of move or inflicted with status condition. Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes have no effect on it. (Arceus in ultimate form, ability can still be change by moves like Simple Beam.)
Steelate - Same as Pixilate and Aerialate. Goes to to megas like Mega Hydreigon.
Fairy Counter - Fairy has no effect and Dragon moves are super effective on fairy types. This goes to Mega Zygarde X.
Flying Counter - Ground moves do super effective damage on Flying. This belongs to Mega Zygarde Y.

Hydraulics - boosts Attack by 25% in Rain.

Footloose - boosts the effectiveness of dance-related stat-effecting moves. (Makes moves like Swords Dance and Quiver Dance raise stats more quickly)

Aero Guard - reduces Flying attacks by 20%. Probably would be a sig ability of a legendary or something.

Convection - physical Steel-type attacks have a 15% chance to inflict a burn.

Conduction - Water-type attacks have a 15% chance to inflict paralysis.

Vigor Drain - Boosts power of HP stealing attacks and increases percentage of HP stolen.

Trap Master - Entry hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes, etc.) set by the user do 50% more damage. Basically a godsend for Gliscor.

Proving Ground - Attacks do more damage the higher the Pokemon's happiness gets. However, if the Pokemon has low happiness, attacks do less damage.

Determination - The Pokemon's Attack stats cannot be lowered.

Resiliency - The Pokemon's Defense stats cannot be lowered.

Fast Lane - Moves with increased priority (ExtremeSpeed, Aqua Jet, etc.) do 30% more damage.

I thought about this many years ago but I only have one idea

Drago Heart: It was supposed to be an ability to give Dragon type moves a STAB boost even when not a dragon type, like a Charizard with Dragon Claw/Pulse or Gyarados with Outrage or something since they are pokemon that are always under the light as wishing they were Dragons. But since the introduction of Fairy types, I was thinking that Drago Heart could allow Dragon Type moves to hit Fairys, kinda like the ability Scrappy

I thought about this many years ago but I only have one idea

Drago Heart: It was supposed to be an ability to give Dragon type moves a STAB boost even when not a dragon type, like a Charizard with Dragon Claw/Pulse or Gyarados with Outrage or something since they are pokemon that are always under the light as wishing they were Dragons. But since the introduction of Fairy types, I was thinking that Drago Heart could allow Dragon Type moves to hit Fairys, kinda like the ability Scrappy

Cool idea. That does need to happen as I am confused about why dragons are weak to fairies. Dragons should not be weak to such a type like Fairy.

Anyway, new ability for me: Breaking Through which allows a pokemon to hit oppositions that are normal resistant or immune to the type you are using.

Moderate: Prevents stat changes while this Pokémon is out.
Sleep Chance: Boosts this Pokémon's Special Attack by 1 stage when the opponent falls asleep.
Guard Breaker: When a Pokémon attacks with an offensive move that the opponent is immune to, it instead inflicts neutral damage. Stacks up with dual-typings (i.e. Mawile getting hit 2x by a Poison-type move, Swampert getting hit 2x by an Electric-type move). Does not work for status moves.
Exchanger: When this Pokémon is sent out, the Pokémon's item and the opponent's item are switched. Does not work for items that are immune to Trick, Switcheroo, etc. Only works in Single Battles. and if both Pokémon have an item.
Adapt: Increases the Pokémon's Defense and Special Defense stat by 1 stage if it is out while a weather condition is active. Effects are removed when the weather condition is removed.
Quackery: Ability holder summons Trick Room when it is sent out. Trick Room is active for 5 turns. Follows the same principles as Trick Room (i.e. a second Trick Room while the first is active cancels out the first).
Fair Play: This Pokémon is immune to priority moves.
Atypical: This Pokémon's physical attacks deal special damage, and this Pokémon's special attacks deal physical damage.
Venomous: All of the user's Poison-type moves that can inflict poisoned status will inflict badly poisoned status instead.
Sharpshot: If this Pokemon uses an offensive move that does not miss (i.e. Swift), its base power is increased by 50%.
No Escape: If this Pokémon uses a 2-turn move (i.e. Fly, Dive), its base power is increased by 30% and the opponent cannot switch out during the second turn. Does not take effect if the move is landed in a single turn (through Power Herb or Chlorophyll Solar Beam). Does not affect Ghost-type Pokémon. Opponent can still switch out under a move like U-turn or an item like Shed Shell.
Moocher: If this Pokémon uses an offensive draining move (i.e. Giga Drain), its base power is increased by 20%. Does not work with Leech Seed.
Aggressor: If the opponent uses Crafty Shield, Spiky Shield, King's Shield, Protect, Detect, Wide Guard, or Quick Guard successfully, increase this Pokémon's Attack by 1 stage. Does not work if any of the aforementioned moves is removed by the effect of Feint.
Risky: When this Pokémon's Defense, Special Defense, or Speed drops because of an opponent's move or Ability, increase this Pokémon's Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage each.
Devastator: When this Pokémon uses a move that requires it to recharge on the next turn, increase its base power by 30%.
Nutritionist: When this Pokémon consumes a berry, increase its Special Attack by 2 stages.
Inherit: When this Pokémon is sent out, it gains the stat modifiers of the predecessor Pokémon. Only works if the preceding Pokémon fainted.

Last edited:
Trick Shot: User's aura/pulse moves hit all targets in multi battles.
Terra Force: User's Rock, Ice and Steel moves do 50% more damage. Mega/Primal Regigigas ability
Cleansing Cloud: User resets all stat changes upon entry.
Amorphous: User takes 50% less damage from Normal and Fighting type attacks.
Unbeliever: User takes 50% less damage from Ghost and Fairy type attacks
Surface to Air: Ground type moves hit Flying types.
Mischancer: Removes the secondary effects of your opponent's moves.

Gonna collect the fake abilities I made for a selection of fake Megas for Gens 1-3. Some are broken until we take into consideration the species, so I'm, naming the intended Pokemon too.

Regis

Boulder Dash - Regirock's Rock moves always move quicker than the opponent. (+1 priority)
Flash Freeze - Regice's Ice moves always move quicker than the opponent. (+1 priority)
Auto Aim - Registeel's Steel moves always move quicker than the opponent. (+1 priority)

Deoxys froms

Astral Force - Deoxys' Psychic attacks deal super effective damage against Psychic and Dragon types. (AKA, like half of Ubers.)
Astral Combat - Deoxys' attacks have a 30% chance to raise its ATK & SP.ATK by one stage.
Astral Shield - Deoxys' takes half damage from all super-effective attacks.
Astral Boost - Speed increases by two stages at the end of every turn.

Cacturne
Scarecrow - Increased evasion (+1 stage) against Flying Types.

Crawdaunt
Big, Meaty Clawrrs - Physical Water & Dark attacks have a 20% chance to lower the opponent's defense.

Claydol
Ancient Aura - Levitate + Removes all entry hazards

Cradily
Dune - Summons a sandstorm that lasts until an opponents Pokemon switches out.

Chimecho
Soothing Chime - Clears the status effects of all Pokemon (both parties) at the end of each turn.

Shiftry
Shaman - At the end of the turn it is sent out, Shiftry summons a weak (1HP) Substitute for one turn.

Exploud
Cacophony - Opponents can't sleep - too loud. Reflect/Light Screen are negated and cannot be set up.

Swalot
Cling - Swalot has a 30% chance to stick to the opponent after contact, slowing them down two stages. Foe cannot switch out.

Torkoal
Steam Powered - Torkoal's fire attacks have a 30% chance to knock off held items.

Crobat
Toxic Wing - 30% chance Crobat will severely poison the foe on contact.

Bellossom
Bountiful Harvest - active teammate's berries are replenished at the end of the turn

Jumpluff
Floater - Levitate + Grass type moves never miss.

Quagsire
Soaking - 20% chance for the opponents contact moves to become water type.

Espeon
Telekinetic - All of Espeon's special attacks are physical if the opps. Sp.Def > Def (the inverse of this does not occur)

Umbreon
Shroud - After using a Dark move, Umbreon is in an invulnerable state for one turn. This effect happens after every second dark move

Slowking
Teetering - Slowking's lack of balance allows it to increase it's evasion when sent out (increase by one stage)

Wobbufett
Mind Lock - Foe can't escape.

Butterfree
Butterfly Shield - Protects the user from stat drops and Ground attacks.

Vileplume
Spore Defense - Blocks stat drops and Fire attacks. - A better Heatproof.

Lapras
Sub Zero - Lapras' non-ice attacks deal super-effect damage as if they were ice.

Snorlax
Deep Sleep - Snorlax is in a permanent sleep mode. All of Snorlax's attacks land as if Snorlax is using Sleep Talk.

Legendary Birds
Arctic Gale - 20% chance to summon hail at the end of the turn (lasting 2 turns). Speed is increased 1.5x in hail.
Dark Clouds - 20% chance to summon rain at the end of the turn (lasting 2 turns). Speed is increased 1.5x in rain.
Solar Burst - 20% chance to summon sun at the end of the turn (lasting 2 turns). Speed is increased 1.5x in sun.

Persian
Hyper Claws - Critical Hit Ratio is increased if Mega Persian is faster than the opponent.

Eeveelutions
Ablaze - Increases attack each time it uses a fire type move. (second ability is no moves)
Osmosis - HP is increased by 1/16 every time it attacks (Lefotvers every time it uses Scald. Fuck.)
Double Strike - Electric attacks strike twice with a weaker second burst of energy (Essentially Parental Bond for electric attacks.)

Narcolepsy: When the user's HP falls to 25% or lower, it recovers full HP and goes to sleep for two turns (like an automatic Rest). The risk is letting its HP fall low enough to benefit from recovery, while being at risk of getting KOd by a strong attack before that happens. To counter the obvious placement of Sleep Talk on the moveset, this would have to be a rare ability, given to a pokemon whose design is based around regeneration, like perhaps a Phoenix, a Starfish, or maybe something that hasn't been done before (I just can't think of any examples right now).

Sorry, didn't have time to read through all of these, though some I glanced at are pretty good.

Anyway, here on my break I'll post one idea:
Overprotective (or something like that): when switched in, acts as though under the effect of protect for one attack.

Clock Reset: exclusive to Mega Dialga, all of Dialga's stats, including HP and PP, are restored. Activated once upon Mega Evolution.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom