• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create a New Ability

Hmm, actually an interesting idea. I would imagine it works a bit like Gulp Missile, actually. And I don't think it has to be on a Poison-type, but more on a lizard Pokémon completely centered around the "lizards lose their tails" idea. But it does work.
1594389384168.png

Hmm, actually an interesting idea. I would imagine it works a bit like Gulp Missile, actually. And I don't think it has to be on a Poison-type, but more on a lizard Pokémon completely centered around the "lizards lose their tails" idea. But it does work.

Yyes a substitute for protection and for damage... wanted lizard because it fits, but could be Limb Throw, a tail is a limb too... it could be for more pokemon... like bulletproof... hope queenly majesty and dazzling become more distributed and that dazzling gains a extra effect in blocking oponents after speed change occurs with oponents advantage priority...

I don't really think these are balanced. Making battles even more luck/hax-based than they already are is not going to end well, in my opinion.

hey we base most games on luck... we alredy have luck implemented, the luck element is sometimes crucial to win a battle with status effects or radical hits... fliching, confussion...

or a pokemon with 10% chance to make target, oponent faint when entering battle? Dragon/ice pokemon??? or something like this maybe???

or reverse? make dragon/ice gain the first one and poison/ice gain the other?

Dragon/ice with Harsh Winter- when entering battle reduces targets hp 50%. (for a female ice/dragon , the motiv would be a sound user with also a ice type sound move to freeze oponents, ice and soundproof users immune )

ice/poison- cold toxic, when entering battle this pokemon has a 10% to make the target faint.(poison and steel types are immune to this effect)

maybe abilities activated via a coin toss? 50% chance to activate effect on target or get hit the user? like halving hp every switch in and out?

Last edited:
Ability: Pathetic Face

Effect: enemy is deceived by user´s pathetic face and both defence and spdef goes down.

It would work like an intimidate, but on defences.

Explosives

Interesting will be a ability to create exploding items and giving them oponents every begin of turn as gift if they have any(explodes after the turn ends) or throw at them directly at the begining and it explodes... exploding eggs, exploding berries, exploding seeds... something that would glue itself to the target

could be a similar effect to Present in that case...

would be good against fast Acrobatics users without items... a target with magician or switcheroo could give the item back to the user of this ability...

for a fire type? poison type? electric type? bug type? grass type?

Rambling roses
the user gives a seed every target without a item, the seed grows fast and reduces targets speed and attack every turn, causing 1/8damage
this seed/vine item can be switched out with other item with magician or switcherro.
the user of this ability with thief or knock off could be interesting...

Toxicated-
when this pokemon in during battle every targets berry on the start of every turn will become roten, cause 1/4 damage and poison the target

Psychic hold- if the target when enetering battle has a hold item it can't use it and all it stats will be reduced on begining of the battle

Last edited:
Here’s a few I came up with in my spare time:

Phase-Out
This Pokémon doubles its evasion against contact moves at half its HP.

Static Cling
Enemies that make contact cannot escape.

Crystallization
Water-type and Ground-type attacks against this Pokémon have no effect, but it gains a Fire-type weakness.
(Yes, this ability is based on the Crystal Onix from the Orange Islands saga of the Pokémon anime.)

Storm Braver
Electric-type, Ice-type, and Water-type moves are not very effective against this Pokémon.

Crystallization
Water-type and Ground-type attacks against this Pokémon have no effect, but it gains a Fire-type weakness.
(Yes, this ability is based on the Crystal Onix from the Orange Islands saga of the Pokémon anime.)
A Rock/Fire type with this ability could be positively deadly... And such a Pokémon would make sense since crystals are Rock (look at Nihilego), so a Fire/Rock Pokemon with this would be neat to see.

Freezing body : Makes user immune to water and ice type moves and has 30% chance of freezing the opponent if it makes physical contact using moves of other types. Chance of freezing raises to 100% if the foe used a physical water type move and triggers hail if hit by special water type moves .

I would like if regice and articuno had this ability. Regis and legendary birds are receiving some attention on crown tundra, to maybe they give something like it to them.

abilities:

Phasing- this pokemon is immune to attacks, every second turn changes immunity from physical to special moves, what immunity starts is the users coin toss choice.

Power drain- user when using a move against the target the user causses the target to lose 2 PP from his move and self restores 2PP to his own used move.

Power down- whe this electric pokemon enters battle it reduces the PP of all oponents moves by half.

OutStruggle- when this pokemon needs to use strugle, the moves power is trippled and the PP of the move that normally would be used fully restored.

Strenght drain: physical attacks that reduces oponets attack -1 ad rises users attack +1 in the same turn always.

Change of State- a unique ability for a pokemon to change type by weather and moves used against it or by itself... starts as water type, could be water/fairy or water/ghost, when hit by fire move or using self one or in sunny weather become a flying type(stem), when by a ice move next, or self using ice move or hail weather changes back into water and if a second time becomes ice/??? type.... could have a water woman form, a cloud form and a icy form... was thinking if all should be water/??? then with fire, it would be flying, with ground mud, with electricity, electric, with ice , ice/water and with poison could be water/poison... or make two or three seperate abilities out of it.

Toxic mist- when this pokemon faints it leaves a toxic mist that reduces all targets PP by 2* usage for 5 turns

Necromancy- the user of this ability when taking down a target creates a substitute out of the oponents remaining hp that was before it fainted, this substitute has the same type, stats and ability like the fainted target. (ghost/fighting or dark/fairy)

Alchemical Beast- the users first type changes with every move used and the secondary typing changes with every move the target uses after end of each turn. weather, terrains and entry hazards also count this way.

Fate toss- this ability works like a coin toss for the oponent, when chosing right, target half users hp by half but if wrong then targets own hp gets halfed... for a ghost/ground sphinx or a dark/ghost reaper with signature ghost move Fate Scythe that would work like Sheer Cold...

Grudge Curse- when the user faints the targets all stats get reduced by one stage

Last edited:
Scripture- new ability to Unown , to make it less useless.
effect: If you write some words with the unowns in your team, effects associated with the word will happen. Ex: if you write "truant" with unowns, all your opponents have their abilities changed to truant. But you have a team of unowns, and they are weak and dont have protect. If you write sleep, all your opponents will be sleeping at the begining of the battle . The unowns wouldnt have to enter battle for the ability work, just be in party, so it would be usefull to train glass cannon pokemon in game. Wouldnt be usefull for competitive, because you cant use more than 1 pokemon with the same dex number.

effect: If you write some words with the unowns in your team, effects associated with the word will happen. Ex: if you write "truant" with unowns, all your opponents have their abilities changed to truant. But you have a team of unowns, and they are weak and dont have protect. If you write sleep, all your opponents will be sleeping at the begining of the battle . The unowns wouldnt have to enter battle for the ability work, just be in party, so it would be usefull to train glass cannon pokemon in game. Wouldnt be usefull for competitive, because you cant use more than 1 pokemon with the same dex number.

sounds neat .
Generaly weird that uknown doesnt get more moves like spite, grudge, memento, destiny bond, nasty plot, room moves, mimic, sketch, imprison?

gave me a idea to create a ability that works like Imprison but buffed.
That gives the user immunity to type of the moves it self knows.
This way a very weak type combination could get 4 immunities and become more important.

Hope they buff Imprison too in future because then the user of the move will be beimmune to psychic and 3 other types of moves it knows...

Because by so many moves we got now, even in a 6vs6 match to hit 3 moves from the target its impossible to hit it right... even if taking 6 pokemon , 24 moves out of more 818 moves now... its impossible, taking the "type" of the move into consideration would be much better.
Now imprison literally is a useless moves in most battles and very occasional, hope they change that next generation at least.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Crowd Control - the user forces oponents pokemon to switch out every turn. this way you can see all ofoponents pokemon and make oponent lose control of events and what happens... if with good moves and entry hazards this may get nice.
Pokemon that ability make them immune to switching do stop the ability till they faint.

Last edited:
sounds neat .

gave me a idea to create a ability that works like Imprison but buffed.
That gives the user immunity to type of the moves it self knows.

Hope they buff Imprison too in future because then the user of the move will beimmune to psychic and 3 other types of moves it knows...

Because by so many moves we got now, even in a 6vs6 match to hit 3 moves from the target its impossible to hit it right... even if taking 6 pokemon , 24 moves out of more 818 moves now... its impossible, taking the "type" of the move into consideration would be much better.
Now imprison literally is a useless moves in most battles and very occasional, hope they change that next generation at least.
This seems like a whole other move could be made out of this! (y) Maybe put a turn limit on the new "Imprison" (3-5 turns would be balanced imo), because that's a very powerful effect.
This is a great Ability in theory. It might be hard to program into a game though, seeing as it looks pretty specific.

This seems like a whole other move could be made out of this! (y) Maybe put a turn limit on the new "Imprison" (3-5 turns would be balanced imo), because that's a very powerful effect.

I like the turn limit. Maybe some abilities or a pokemo type could break through it.

would just change it to avoid waste of game data.
It would work on the type of the move not on the certain moves.
Buffed and would get used.

Statistically speaking hitting 3 from 812 moves in a 6vs6 battle is 0,33% chance of happening...
even if all targets 6 pokemon team has 24 moves out of 812, thats 3% of all moves,
then a chance of hitting exact the right moves would be 0,99% or less in any battle.

moves effect activation rates are higher then that...
you would need to switch the Imprison user to the right pokemon with right move for one turn usage... too rare in execution literaly.

Getting immunity to 4 from 18 types is something around 22,3% to have a real in battle usage.
taking chance that 6 of oponents pokemon know 4 moves, that means 24 moves , rather people use diffrent moves of diffrent types, a chance to counter oponets stab moves would be 4 to 24, 20% depending on the moves the user has...

Abilities- Time distort and Space distort

Who has it : New forms of Dialga and Palkia

Effect : user and allies always attack first. Every move has higher priority than everything in the game, even follow me end protect . Psychic terrain removes the priority, but doesnt block the moves, unless the moves normally are priority moves.

Ability: Distortion

Who has it: New giratina form that absorbs griserous orb instead of holding it.

Effect: triggers the inverse battle effect while the user is in battle. If it switchs out, everything works as always.

Abilitiy: Omnipotent

Who has it: New Arceus form.

Effect: The user changes its type and foes types to the types that give more advantage to the user. Ex: If arceus uses thunderbolt on kyogre, Arceus type will change to eletric and kyogre´s type will change to water/flying. If you switch kyogre and put groudon, groudon´s type will change to water flying. If groudon survives and use earthquake, arceus changes to flying type before the move hits. If groudon used fire punch, arceus would change to water/dragon. So basically, arceus would be imune or resist 4x to everything and hit everything with 4x damage.

Yes, it is and extremely broken ability, but arceus should be a pokemon god, it should be able to defeat even other legendaries easily. However, giratina´s new form and new ability could ruin arceus plans. In the sinnoh´s remake lore, they could say that giratina disobeyed arceus and absorbed griserous orb to defeat arceus, but arceus sent dialga and palkia to ban giratina, so arceus could create and rule the universe unchalenged.

I always thought it was lame that kyogre, groudon and rayquaza had cool abilities that match their lore and the sinnoh main legendaries have the generic pressure ability.

Abilities- Time distort and Space distort

Who has it : New forms of Dialga and Palkia

Effect : user and allies always attack first. Every move has higher priority than everything in the game, even follow me end protect . Psychic terrain removes the priority, but doesnt block the moves, unless the moves normally are priority moves.

Ability: Distortion

Who has it: New giratina form that absorbs griserous orb instead of holding it.

Effect: triggers the inverse battle effect while the user is in battle. If it switchs out, everything works as always.

Abilitiy: Omnipotent

Who has it: New Arceus form.

Effect: The user changes its type and foes types to the types that give more advantage to the user. Ex: If arceus uses thunderbolt on kyogre, Arceus type will change to eletric and kyogre´s type will change to water/flying. If you switch kyogre and put groudon, groudon´s type will change to water flying. If groudon survives and use earthquake, arceus changes to flying type before the move hits. If groudon used fire punch, arceus would change to water/dragon. So basically, arceus would be imune or resist 4x to everything and hit everything with 4x damage.

Yes, it is and extremely broken ability, but arceus should be a pokemon god, it should be able to defeat even other legendaries easily.
I really like Distortion, I think setting an inverse battle effect would be unique, neat, and interesting, as well as fitting lore-wise, while not exactly being too game breaking but still allowing for some really fun strategies. However, I'm not too keen on the abilities for Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus. Not only are they very unbalanced within the trio as Giratina's ability is nowhere near as gamebreaking as the other two, I'm really not a fan of giving powerful Pokemon extremely broken abilities/stats/whatever based upon the idea that they are literal gods so it's okay. The god-like ability of these Pokemon is somewhat subjective (some people equate Arceus to an omnipotent being a la the Abrahamic God, while others see it as more of a simple creator deity and that's it), and we even have Pokemon deities to my understanding, the Tapus, that aren't a bunch of broken monstrosities so that doesn't mean a god-like Pokemon is always extremely powerful (I'm also not a fan of equating/paralleling the creation trio and Arceus to God and Satan as well). Not only that, I feel that giving these Pokemon extremely powerful forms would result in them mostly collecting dust in the PC. I doubt GameFreak would allow such forms to be legal in competitive formats, which limits the scope of what you can do with them. And crushing a Bidoof with your god monster isn't that much different than crushing it with your level 100 Staraptor in my opinion. And, of course, there is the lore-issue aspect when you have a literal child command such overpowered beings (though I don't really care that much about the lore in this regard).
I always thought it was lame that kyogre, groudon and rayquaza had cool abilities that match their lore and the sinnoh main legendaries have the generic pressure ability.
Agreed. They could've at least done what they did with Solgaleo and Lunala, i.e. basically reskinning pre-existing abilities so that they are more specific to the Pokemon than the generic version given to non-legendaries.

I really like Distortion, I think setting an inverse battle effect would be unique, neat, and interesting, as well as fitting lore-wise, while not exactly being too game breaking but still allowing for some really fun strategies. However, I'm not too keen on the abilities for Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus. Not only are they very unbalanced within the trio as Giratina's ability is nowhere near as gamebreaking as the other two, I'm really not a fan of giving powerful Pokemon extremely broken abilities/stats/whatever based upon the idea that they are literal gods so it's okay. The god-like ability of these Pokemon is somewhat subjective (some people equate Arceus to an omnipotent being a la the Abrahamic God, while others see it as more of a simple creator deity and that's it), and we even have Pokemon deities to my understanding, the Tapus, that aren't a bunch of broken monstrosities so that doesn't mean a god-like Pokemon is always extremely powerful (I'm also not a fan of equating/paralleling the creation trio and Arceus to God and Satan as well). Not only that, I feel that giving these Pokemon extremely powerful forms would result in them mostly collecting dust in the PC. I doubt GameFreak would allow such forms to be legal in competitive formats, which limits the scope of what you can do with them. And crushing a Bidoof with your god monster isn't that much different than crushing it with your level 100 Staraptor in my opinion. And, of course, there is the lore-issue aspect when you have a literal child command such overpowered beings (though I don't really care that much about the lore in this regard).

Agreed. They could've at least done what they did with Solgaleo and Lunala, i.e. basically reskinning pre-existing abilities so that they are more specific to the Pokemon than the generic version given to non-legendaries.

Yeah, the tapus are pokemon deities , but the lore makes it very clear that they only rule over their islands. Kyogre and groudon build/create the oceans and the continents of the whole world , so, they more important than the tapus in the pokemon world. Primal kyogre and groudon, and mega rayquaza are broken , all the vgc rules that allowed cover legendaries had at least one of them in almost all teams. The creation trio ( sinnoh cover legendaries) were roting all this time. But dialga and palkia control the time and the space of all the universe. They would destroy the whole galaxy and replace it with a new one. You stop kyogre/ groudon alone, but You need the help of the lake trio to stop one of them . They should be by far more powerfull than pokemon that control the water and ground of a single tiny planet in the galaxy. I never said arceus was like the Abrahanic god. But, again, it should be by far more powerful than kyogre/groudon/rayquaza.

Game freak would allow these abilities in vgc formats. Every team would have dialga or palkia( in ORAS VGC 16, every team had a cover legendary or rayquaza, so, not very different) . Giratina would be the anti-meta , dialga and palkia are full of resists , giratina would make them full of weaknesses. Lol, dialga would have 9 weaknesses! 4x weak to grass! Palkia would be 4x weak to fire and water.

Yes, it is and extremely broken ability, but arceus should be a pokemon god, it should be able to defeat even other legendaries easily. However, giratina´s new form and new ability could ruin arceus plans. In the sinnoh´s remake lore, they could say that giratina disobeyed arceus and absorbed griserous orb to defeat arceus, but arceus sent dialga and palkia to ban giratina, so arceus could create and rule the universe unchalenged.

even a god needs counters... many mythologies have their own ragnarog...
fall of gods, titatns, gigants and gods battling and killing each other or trapping in hell, tartarus or sending into exile... egypt, mayans, aztecs, greeks, babylons, chinese, japan, celtic, nordic, druids...

I think make Arceus only always get resistance to moves that do neutral damage and become immune to targets stab moves would be enough in my opinion.

Time push- when user enters , every turn that passes is counted for the target and user as if 5 turns would pass by in the same time. Dynamax only lasts one turn, weather lasts 1 turn, screening moves only last one turn, terrains only one turn but the damage dealing effects of sandstorm, hail and othe binding moves or healing from grassy terrain and other healing moves like aqua ring will be counted in 1 turn like it would be 5 turns. (steel/ghost clock pokemon)

slime drain - protects the user, reduces all damage by 33% , reduces attack stats of oponents each time when hit with a physical move and drains 1/8 of targets hp .

force field- boosts special defense every time hit by a oponets special attack, or every turn like speed boost... for a psychic type pokemon...

Last edited:
even a god needs counters... many mythologies have their own ragnarog...
fall of gods, titatns, gigants and gods battling and killing each other or trapping in hell, tartarus or sending into exile... egypt, mayans, aztecs, greeks, babylons, chinese, japan, celtic, nordic, druids...

I said Giratina would be arceus counter, because it would trigger inverse battle, and in inverse battles, Arceus would always take super effective damage, and deal not very effective damage.

Some other Abilities I thought up:

Speed Pitch: The Pokemon's Ball Moves (Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, ect.) utilize its Attack stat instead, and increase in power by 30%. (The damage is still based on the opponent's Special Defense.)

Paperweight: The Pokemon draws in the opponent's Wind-based moves, and reduces their power by 75%.

Entanglement: Prevents all Pokemon in play from using moves that switch themselves out. (U-turn, Teleport, etc.)

Shower Party: The Pokemon uses Soak on a random opponent or ally upon entering battle.

I said Giratina would be arceus counter, because it would trigger inverse battle, and in inverse battles, Arceus would always take super effective damage, and deal not very effective damage.

Simpler would be wonder guard Arceus second form.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom