• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create a New Ability

Dimensional Shift
sets trick room on the field for five turns

whether or not this would end up bring broken isn't the point, but rather this is the first thing that came to mind lmao
Counter Shield
All "Super-effective" moves become "Not very effective" and all "Not very effective" moves become "Super-effective" when used against this Pokémon .

Basically Inverse Battles but as an ability, also a polar opposite regarding Wonder Guard that would throw players off their game thinking they have a type advantage they can use right off the bat.

These are definitely my favorite ideas so far, though I'd want the counter shield to also set it up as a terrain.

I'd definitely prefer them over this, but the first idea that popped in my head is this:

Desperation
If the opponent has selected a super effective move, the move selected by this Pokemon gains +1 priority.

Looks very cool! But to clarify, if my Hypno is being targeted with a SE move, the SE move gets +1 priority?

No the opposite - if your Hypno was being targeted by a SE move (so if the opponent was using a bug, dark, or ghost type move), the move the Hypno is using (whatever that move may be, trick room or psychic or you name it) has +1 priority compared to its normal priority level. Kinda like Prankster but conditional on the move the opponent selects rather than the type of move chosen.

Magic copy - when the user hp fells bellow 50% it creates a substitute.
If it restores hp and falls bellow again during battle it can create another substitute.
For a psychic/dark type

Absorbion- for a pure poison type or a pure steel type or a pure fairy type, that changes secondary typing depending on terrain or weather and becomes immune to it at the same time.(actually should create 3 pokemon of diffrent typing with this)

Bug Lamp- grass/electric, this pokemon gains immunity to bug type moves and gains 1/8 hp when hit by one

Power Plant- grass/electric, when opoents switch in or out they get damaged and the user gains hp, 1/10 hp from every pokemon that switches in and out, that means it gains by a switch 1/5hp and deals 1/5hp damage to both pokemon that oponent switches...
if the user self switches via Volt switch out then gains only 1/10hp and deals the same damage.

Ferroelectric - when this rock type pokemon user uses electric moves changes type to steel, when using steel type moves changes back to rock, when using fire type moves changes to electric type...could change colors, maybe have base rock typing and change secondary?

Plasma- for a flying/poison, gives immunity to fire and electric moves

Whistlers - all electric moves are also sound moves

Redox- flying type moves cause speed to grow 1 stage and make user immune to special flying type moves, poison type

Pyroelectric effect - when hit by a fire type move causes to hit the attacker with a electric spark causing 1/6 damage.

Piezoelectric effect - when hit by a steel type move, electric type moves gain 1,5(user is immune to steel type moves damage)

Telluric currents- if the target uses dig, dive, phantom force, fly, bounce, sky drop or "protect"move it will get 1/6 damage from electrical charges

Does fixing real abilities count too? If so...

Illuminate: All light based attacks (eg. Dazzling gleam) and Electric attacks have a boosted crit ratio (let’s not make it anything too useful, increasing encounter rate is already a good thing. Just use repels if you don’t want more encounters)

Run away: The user’s quick reflexes makes it easier to land hits. It is now a No guard clone, but can only work in trainer battles and the ability wears off it the user’s accuracy drops or the opponents evasiveness increases by at least 1 point.

Illuminate: All light based attacks (eg. Dazzling gleam) and Electric attacks have a boosted crit ratio (let’s not make it anything too useful, increasing encounter rate is already a good thing. Just use repels if you don’t want more encounters)

Ooh yes I like this a lot!

Run away: The user’s quick reflexes makes it easier to land hits. It is now a No guard clone, but can only work in trainer battles and the ability wears off it the user’s accuracy drops or the opponents evasiveness increases by at least 1 point.

Hm I see what you mean but I think maybe something with fleeing is more accurate or more loyal to the name? Perhaps something like being able to switch out if hit with a trapping move or a Pokémon with a trapping ability (eg. Arena Trap/Shadow Tag) switches in?

Monopolise - Increases damaging moves by 1.5x. Can only use same-type damaging attacks.
Giant Power - Attack and Special Attack is doubled. Can only use low Base Power moves (50 and under)
Sneak Thief - Swaps held items on entry. Fails if a Pokemon isn't holding an item. Never works on Dark types.
Super Cooling - Immune to Water Attacks. Water Pokemon are Frozen on contact for two turns.
Influenced - Copies a random ability from the team on entry.

Invisibility- we have Illusion but what if some pokemon entering battle would be not seen or could not be hit regular way?
the way "real camouflage" actually should work and allow you to avoid hits... till you self make physical contact with the target.

Moves that would hit all opposing Pokémon in Double Battles. In a Triple Battle would remove Invisibility effect.

Switching out user restores Invisibility.

Entry hazards and weather damage remove invisibility.

Illuminate removes Invisibility

some stats moves like magic powder , powder and spore moves remove invisibility
No guard users normally always hit

depending if it would be a flying/bug , chameloeon dragon/psychic, or maybe a ghost....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
If fixing real abilities count then:

Steadfast (Indomitable Heart ) - flinching , confusion, infatuatation should all activate the speed rise of this ability. (unstoppable heart???)

Heavy metal: additionaly halfs ground type and fighting type moves
Light metal: additionaly halfs flying type and electric type moves

Defeatist- addition can't get trapped

Truant
- addition can't get confused or flinched

Slow Start- addition can't get confused or flinched

Damp- block powder+fire moves combo, half magnitude, earthquake, earth power

Stall- works great if you want to use Disable, encore or other combo...works on moves with decreased priority?
maybe could block some moves that would have decreased priority? other then Power Punch?
Maybe always avoiding moves that do recoil damage???

Insomnia (preventing the use of Rest)- immunity to sleep we have also early bird and vital spirit...
maybe when someone or something tries to put them sleep:
-Insomania should heal hp 1/8 ,
-early bird gain speed +
- and Vital spirit +1 attack stats

Klutz- additionaly immunity to: Thief , Magician, Fling and Binding moves?

SMDIf the Pokémon uses an illuminating move such as Confuse Ray or Light ScreenIconCutsCornersSMD.png, it will be a decoy!

Last edited:
Overcharge: When a Pokemon with this ability is getting his health below 25%, it permanently maxes out a random stat, but gets confused after using one of its attacks. Can be a legendary ability (And is not as OP as Glalie's Moody due to the confusion).
Overeater: When a Pokemon with this ability eats a healing berry, its health goes up to max, but its speed stat gets lowered by 2 stages.
Outclassed: When a Pokemon with this ability is facing a Pokemon with a type advantage, all attacks become Priority moves (Example: Grass vs Fire means Grass gets priority move)
Shield Wall: When a Pokemon is hit with an attack, its Special Defense raises with one stage (Stamina Counterpat).

I would change Run Away so that it doesn't affect Pursuit at all, which might give Pokemon with Run Away some more usage.

Heavy metal: additionaly halfs ground type and fighting type moves
Light metal: additionaly halfs flying type and electric type moves
I understand the logic for heavy metal, but there’s no reason why Light metal should add that. If you’re going to argue that flying affects light steel types less somehow, that’s already covered since all steel (Without subtype) types resist flying.

If we're talking improvements to old abilities, I have a few ideas:

Run Away- Allows the Pokemon to escape all trapping moves and abilities
Klutz- Prevents all Pokemon on the field from using hold items (retaining all of the current exceptions to this ability)
Damp- Decreases the power of Fire type moves when this Pokemon is on the field (essentially a free Water Sport)

I understand the logic for heavy metal, but there’s no reason why Light metal should add that. If you’re going to argue that flying affects light steel types less somehow, that’s already covered since all steel (Without subtype) types resist flying.

STEEL/BUGS AND OTHER STEEL TYPE COMBOS WEAK TO FLYING WOULD GAIN WITH IT...
ELECTRIC BC SOME LEIGHT METALS ARE GOOD CONDUCTORS.

STEEL/BUGS AND OTHER STEEL TYPE COMBOS WEAK TO FLYING WOULD GAIN WITH IT...
Steel/Bug isn’t weak to flying... it’s literally impossible for a part steel type to be weak to flying.

ELECTRIC BC SOME LEIGHT METALS ARE GOOD CONDUCTORS
And almost all metals conduct electricity, whether light or heavy. Conductivity does not depend on weight of a metal.

I kind of like the idea of improving on current abilities. I want to try a hand at it!

Forewarn: In addition to telling the user one of the moves of the opponent with the highest power, it gives the user a percentage of mitigation when hit by that move for the first time. Maybe something like 20 or 25% mitigation? It makes sense since the user knows ahead of time how to reduce damage from that move.

Honey Gather: Heals the user for 1/8 of their maximum HP when hit by a move that reduces its stats. After all, when you're weakened, you want to go and get honey to heal yourself quickly.

An ability I can’t name (i am bad with names) that causes moves like flying press and body slam to have half damage, and the attacker would bounce off and get hurt. It could be used on squishy Pokémon like pyukymuku and as a hidden ability for snorlax.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom