• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create a New Ability

Here's one ability they could change to make it better.

Keen Eye: Ignores high evasion and low accuracy. The hit is still not 100% guaranteed, but it's just as likely as to hit as an unchanged battle stat.

Steel/Bug isn’t weak to flying... it’s literally impossible for a part steel type to be weak to flying.

And almost all metals conduct electricity, whether light or heavy. Conductivity does not depend on weight of a metal.

imagine instead of normal damage the half of it?

the weight not but the kind of metal and "light" and "heavy" metal dont need to be based on weight only...

"Heavy metals are generally defined as metals with relatively high densities, atomic weights, or atomic numbers. ... From 1809 onward, light metals, such as magnesium, aluminium, and titanium, were discovered, as well as less well-known heavy metals including gallium, thallium, and hafnium. "

check their electrical properties....

common metals such as iron, copper, and tin, and precious metals such as silver, gold, and platinum—are heavy metals

light metals, such as magnesium, aluminium, and titanium, were discovered, as well as less well-known heavy metals including gallium, thallium, and hafnium.

they really could do something like addition to both to resist electric attacks? water attacks? physical? special?

1. What metal is the best conductor of electricity?

Copper and Silver Are Most Common
Silver is the best conductor of electricity because it contains a higher number of movable atoms (free electrons).
(heavy metals)

2. Which metal is the poorest conductor of electricity?
Bismuth and tungsten are two metals which are poor conductors of electricity. There are many, but some include Aluminum, Bismuth, Gallium, Indium, Lead, Thallium, Tin, Ununhexium, Ununpentium, Ununquadium, and Ununtrium.
(light metals)

Heavy metals are often assumed to be highly toxic or damaging to the environment.[91] Some are, while certain others are toxic only if taken in excess or encountered in certain forms.

Poisoining by contact?

Last edited:
First of all I know what heavy and light metals are.
check their electrical properties....
Electrical conductance does not depend on the weight of the metal.

Bismuth and tungsten are two metals which are poor conductors of electricity. There are many, but some include Aluminum, Bismuth, Gallium, Indium, Lead, Thallium, Tin, Ununhexium, Ununpentium, Ununquadium, and Ununtrium.
(light metals)
Aluminium which is a light metal is a good conductor of electricity. Invalid argument.

Heavy metals are often assumed to be highly toxic or damaging to the environment.[91] Some are, while certain others are toxic only if taken in excess or encountered in certain forms.
Assuming that you’re alive a heavy metal is literally running through your veins (Iron in haemoglobin). Not al heavy metals are poisonous.
Just because something has a possibility to happen does not mean it happens in every case,

The entire argument makes no sense since we don’t know which metals steel types are made of. Hell, some Pokémon can have both heavy metal and light metal abilities.

First of all I know what heavy and light metals are.

Electrical conductance does not depend on the weight of the metal.

Aluminium which is a light metal is a good conductor of electricity. Invalid argument.

Assuming that you’re alive a heavy metal is literally running through your veins (Iron in haemoglobin). Not al heavy metals are poisonous.
Just because something has a possibility to happen does not mean it happens in every case,

The entire argument makes no sense since we don’t know which metals steel types are made of. Hell, some Pokémon can have both heavy metal and light metal abilities.
its pokemon not everything needs to make 100% sense but would make both abilities get needed additions worth thinking of.

I would change Body Slam now we have Body Press.
Body Press does damage based on the defense
So i would make Body Slam do damage based on the attack.

Has paralyse effect and doubles power against minimize... thats not enough?

Fibrous- for a steel or steel/ice pokemon, when in hail it doubles sp. defense and defense of the user

new ability... many ofensive, status changing , some defensive hmmm some strategic bc they play mind games with the oponent...
mind games....

- contact ability that causes the target to switch out when it attacks physically the user... (electric, poison, fire, ice, ghost,fairy)

- a ability that when user enters battle forces a target to switch out

this abilities would allow suction cups and sticky hold to be more important...
maybe Obvious or other abilities could also get addition to block effect?

- a ability when entering battle causes that target can't move on that turn.

(would not affect Pokémon with Full Metal Body, Inner Focus, Oblivious, Scrappy, or Own Tempo. It would trigger Rattled. )

Last edited:
Has paralyse effect and doubles power against minimize... thats not enough?

Fibrous- for a steel or steel/ice pokemon, when in hail it doubles sp. defense and defense of the user

new ability... many ofensive, status changing , some defensive hmmm some strategic bc they play mind games with the oponent...
mind games....

- contact ability that causes the target to switch out when it attacks physically the user... (electric, poison, fire, ice, ghost,fairy)

- a ability that when user enters battle forces a target to switch out

this abilities would allow suction cups and sticky hold to be more important...
maybe Obvious or other abilities could also get addition to block effect?

- a ability when entering battle causes that target can't move on that turn.

(would not affect Pokémon with Full Metal Body, Inner Focus, Oblivious, Scrappy, or Own Tempo. It would trigger Rattled. )

I am gonna give you some name suggestions
The ability that forces the target to Switch out upon the user entering the battle - Chase Away

The ability that when entering battle, which causes the target not to move on the turn - Stasis

The ability when hit by target then causes that target it can't move on that turn (Its basically a ability form of Fake out).

I am gonna give you some name suggestions
The ability that forces the target to Switch out upon the user entering the battle - Chase Away

The ability that when entering battle, which causes the target not to move on the turn - Stasis

The ability when hit by target then causes that target it can't move on that turn (Its basically a ability form of Fake out).

thank you Nickdt.
yes but maybe it could be not flinch related those abilities could or not could block it on the other hand maybe we should get such a pokemon taking some weak type combinations that could be used or reused in future.

Back to fixing up and improving some abilities (can you tell I enjoy this)

Early Bird: Quick awakening is cool and all but not when abilities like Insomnia exists or the terrains. Therefore, in addition to the quick awakening, when a Pokémon with Early Bird awakens, their next move receives +3 priority. After all, the early bird get the worm right? Therefore, this Pokémon will do their best to compensate for their lost time sleeping by striking first!

Back to fixing up and improving some abilities (can you tell I enjoy this)

Early Bird: Quick awakening is cool and all but not when abilities like Insomnia exists or the terrains. Therefore, in addition to the quick awakening, when a Pokémon with Early Bird awakens, their next move receives +3 priority. After all, the early bird get the worm right? Therefore, this Pokémon will do their best to compensate for their lost time sleeping by striking first!

Cool idea.

if worry seed would also deal damage to a pokemon when changing its ability to Insomania and double damage when its sleeping...
generaly Insomania should let a pokemon get hp restored or speed or maybe all stats rised one stage when oponent tries to put it aleep that would make it diffrent then Vital Spirit... most insomania users are weak by stats and typing... Insomania... Vital spirit could get then rising of attack stats.

if worry seed would also deal damage to a pokemon when changing its ability to Insomania and double damage when its sleeping...
generaly Insomania should let a pokemon get hp restored or speed or maybe all stats rised one stage when oponent tries to put it aleep that would make it diffrent then Vital Spirit... most insomania users are weak by stats and typing... Insomania... Vital spirit could get then rising of attack stats.

Interesting take. Let me have a stab at it. I guess the theme you're trying to go for is additional effects that happen when a Pokémon with either Insomnia/Vital Spirit is about to be put to sleep, so I will incorporate that.

Insomnia: In addition to being unable to be put to sleep, Insomnia now also causes the attacking Pokémon to lose a stage of their highest stat. Because insomniacs are usually quite tired of being told to just sleep (despite their inability to do so), when an enemy Pokémon tries to tell them to sleep, the insomniac Pokémon chastises them and causes the attacking Pokémon to be weaker! Think of it like Reverse Beast Boost. So if a Breloom tries to spore my Insomnia Hypno, Hypno won't fall asleep and Breloom will get -1 stage of ATK. It promotes being able to predict and read to cripple opponents.

Vital Spirit: In addition to be unable to be put to sleep, Vital Spirit now also causes the user Pokémon to gain a stage of their highest stat. Being able to be told to sleep has made the user Pokémon instead feel more energized and become more powerful, thereby increasing their highest stat (like Beast Boost!) If a Breloom tries to spore my Magmortar with Vital Spirit, Magmortar will feel so energized its Special Attack increases +1 stage. Helps for predict and to get sweeps going from punishing opponents.

for a poison/dragon physical attacker ???

a disquise like substitute ability with use of its tail, you know lizards loose tail, and it would too.
But it activates after user loses 50% of its hp.

Tail sheding would be a nice name for this one.

we have Quick draw, 20%...

Quick heal, the user has 20% chance to heal itself every turn with 25% of its hp.
Quick drain? the user has 20% chance each turn to drain 1/4 hp from target, increases to 50% while switching
Quick out, the user has 20% chance to switch itself out each turn

a disquise like substitute ability with use of its tail, you know lizards loose tail, and it would too.
But it activates after user loses 50% of its hp.

Tail sheding would be a nice name for this one.
Hmm, actually an interesting idea. I would imagine it works a bit like Gulp Missile, actually. And I don't think it has to be on a Poison-type, but more on a lizard Pokémon completely centered around the "lizards lose their tails" idea. But it does work.
we have Quick draw, 20%...

Quick heal, the user has 20% chance to heal itself every turn with 25% of its hp.
Quick drain? the user has 20% chance each turn to drain 1/4 hp from target, increases to 50% while switching
Quick out, the user has 20% chance to switch itself out each turn
I don't really think these are balanced. Making battles even more luck/hax-based than they already are is not going to end well, in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom