• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create a status move

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
Reaction score
In the games, moves are classified as either special attack, attack, or status moves. There are tons of ideas for moves that deal damage, but less so for status moves. Here's a thread for such moves!

Some status moves I've created:

Energize: After using this move, the next move the Pokemon uses is guaranteed to move before the opponent next turn.

Shut Down, 70 Accuracy: The user removes the willpower from the opponent, making it only able to use status moves for 3-4 turns. (Kind of like a reverse taunt)

Ninja Vanish: The user of the move vanishes instantly, and reappears once it uses its next move. It has +0 priority.

Trapset: After using this move, the next attack this Pokemon uses does 30% more damage, and also can hit an opponent before it switches out.

Alluring Perfume: The user unleashes a strong perfume on the opponents side of the field, which lowers the evasiveness stat of any foe switching in by 1 stage. It has no effect on fairy types.

Void Block: The user expels a dimensional power to block an opponent's attack, +4 priority. If it does, it prevents the opponent from escaping as long as the user of this move is in battle. This move fails if used on consecutive turns.

Ultraviolet, 70 Accuracy: The user inflicts a strong burn on the foe. This burn lowers the foe's defense stat rather than its attack stat.

Ice Rick: The user freezes the floor to make an ice rink that last 5 turns. The rink raises the speed of ice type pokemon by 50%, and powers up spinning moves by 50% (Rapid Spin, Gyro Ball, Rollout, etc.)

Feel free to suggest other status moves, but please avoid anything that seems game breaking.

I'm making a pokemon game concept and here my two favorite status moves I've created so far:

Move: Wind Tunnel
Type: Flying
Effect: Traps enemy in a wind tunnel. Prevents target from using physical moves for three turns and they are levitating. Doesn’t work on ingrained targets or targets with suction cups

Move: Chi Block
Type: Fighting
Effect: User halts the flow of chi in target, preventing them from using special attacks for three turns. Stats cannot be lowered by opponents and draining moves don't work. Does not work on targets with inner focus.

These moves are meant to be counterparts to each other. I wanted to make moves that could either support an ally or hinder an opponent. Many pokemon only use either physical or special attacks, so the drawback wouldn't hurt them and they could use the extra effects to cover a ground weakness or ensure a setup. I debated whether chi block should be fighting or psychic, but I figured that fighting types would get more use out of blocking special attacks (also Tai Lee from Avatar definitely makes chi block look like a fighting move)

Move: Flash Freeze
Type: Ice
Effect: The user surrounds the target with ultra cold air that freezes the target in seconds.

Honestly, the fact that there isn't a move that just freezes an opponent without the damage-dealing aspect is baffling to me.

How about...

Thunderstorm
Type: Electric
Effect: Sets up rain and Electric Terrain simultaneously. The user's Defence is lowered by one stage.

Flower Power
Type: Grass
Effect: Sets up harsh sunlight and Grassy Terrain simultaneously. The user's Special Defence is lowered by one stage.

I love how cool the battlefield looks if you combine terrain with weather, so I'd really enjoy using these moves!

This is a bit of a cop out on the creative side but I would love for every type to get:
-A recovery move
-A Terrain/Weather
-An entry hazard
-A unique “protection” move a-la Baneful Bunker, Spiky Shield, Quick Guard, etc.

Perhaps the terrain and weather conditions for the remaining types could be...

Fighting: Rough Terrain
Ground: Muddy Terrain
Bug: Silver Terrain (covers the ground in silk)
Steel: Metal Terrain

Flying: Strong winds (The same as those summoned by Mega Rayquaza's Delta Stream)
Poison: Acid rain (Damages all Pokemon on the field except Poison and Steel types)
Ghost: Fog
Dark: An eclipse (but not a real solar eclipse - it would be a bit over-the-top if Pokemon could reposition the sun and moon at will!) or imposing clouds that plunge the battlefield into darkness
Dragon: Raging storm (it might be hard to differentiate this from rain and strong winds, though)

Perhaps Normal types could get a boost when there's no terrain or weather in effect?

Here's some:
Draconic Shout. Basically, a dragon type version of growl that lowers a Pokémon's defense by 1 or two stages.

Spirit Drain: Ghost type version of Leech Seed.

So... let me revive this

Pendulum Swing: Hypno's Signature Status move that is 80% accurate.

It puts the opposing Pokemon to sleep, even those with Vital Spirit and Insomnia. It also take away 2 points of damage every turn the oppossing Pokemon is asleep... however... a Pokemon that is brought to sleep with Pendulum Swing... will not be affected by Nightmare or Dream Eater.

Crazy Masquerade - (Dark) - a move that randomly assigns you and your opponent a type out of these: Psychic/Fighting/Dark. Because of this, you may end up having a mad advantage or mad disadvantage but it can be useful if this doesn't give a stab for your opponent or goes against their physical/special type of main attack. The typing also can change after three turns to another wild set and can last up to nine turns.
However, since it's too strong this move actually has no effect on Pokemon who are Psychic type to begin with (they 'see' through the masks since they are smart).
Chess Logic - (Psychic): Both Pokemon begin an intellectual game and ignore masters' orders for three turns. All physical attacks only deal a third of their normal power. But special moves deal double the damage. It's useful when you are a special sweeper with weak defense but many attacks who wants to outlast a strong physical attacker opponent.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom