• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create-an-Ability

Oh no of course I understand that, It would just be interesting to see the most powerful pokemon have one of the weakest types, and with that ability, it would end up with Rayquazza... and it's Delta Stream, which begs another issue; Does Delta Stream, Infinite Glaciate or Both Cancel out other weather abilities an each other? Wow the list goes on for this ability. I'd assume they'd put Delta Stream over it, which would just leave Rayquazza on top... Forever.
(And I completely agree with the speed due to power creep statement in SM)

With a few strategic teammates, Kyreum-Complete could act as a (Mega) Rayquaza Counter. The one which comes on the top of my head is.

Rayquaza and Kyreum enter the field. Rayquaza Mega evolves. Kyreum's weather is subsided by Rayquaza's. Kyreum is switched out in favour of Groudon/Kyogre holding its respective Orb. The Primal weather displaces Delta Stream. The Primal Switches out for Kyreum which activates the special hail.

With a few strategic teammates, Kyreum-Complete could act as a (Mega) Rayquaza Counter. The one which comes on the top of my head is.

Rayquaza and Kyreum enter the field. Rayquaza Mega evolves. Kyreum's weather is subsided by Rayquaza's. Kyreum is switched out in favour of Groudon/Kyogre holding its respective Orb. The Primal weather displaces Delta Stream. The Primal Switches out for Kyreum which activates the special hail.

The only problem with this formula is that we can assume that the Rayquazza user will employ the same strategy, via switching out constantly using Blue/Red Orb Teammates and Kyurem. But I feel that this sort of battle would be something that would have to be tested...

The only problem with this formula is that we can assume that the Rayquazza user will employ the same strategy, via switching out constantly using Blue/Red Orb Teammates and Kyurem. But I feel that this sort of battle would be something that would have to be tested...

I don't consider myself that knowledgeable in competitive, but that's the first and obvious thing that popped up in my mind.

To be honest I'd think of rather removing the Fire and Water nullifications instead of something that helps its ice type (that said, giving it an effective what, 120/100+50/100+50 defenses? I'm not sure what stats would complete Kyurem have but it's probably way too OP... maybe increased hail damage?), since that wouldn't do anything for either Kyurem or against Rayquaza and only serves as annoyance for Groudon and Kyogre. (And conflicts with Fusion Flare. Oops.)
I'm not sure about switching back to Rayquaza being as simple if Kyurem is there, it seems a better idea to just take Kyurem out with Groudon or Kyogre or something that isn't guaranteed to get OHKO'd. Especially if you switch from Groudon.
Groudon in particular could take the chance in either side to set up Stealth Rocks instead.

(Also to be fair I was thinking doubles, where switching is less common in the first place)

Winter Grave- if the user faints, its last oponents gets frozen and is trapped on the field. (ice/ghost snowman or ice/ghost moose)

Cold Heart -
When the user uses physical hits he steals 1/10 hp every time he has contact with the foe.
when the oponent tries to drain the users hp he will get frozen and lost hp instead.
Hp draining moves dont work on this pokemon. (ice witch pokemon)

Freeze Skin- physical contact has 10% Chance of freezing the target. (normal/ice, ice/poison headhog with long spines)

Long Winter - works like "Wonder Guard" but only during hail. (ice/flying owl or ice/ghost snowman )

Sub-zero/Downfreeze /Eternal Ice- this pokemon when freezes oponents pokemon, can freeze even other ice types, this kind of freeze can be removed by fire type and other moves but lets them immobilized in that turn they thaw out. (ice/psychic alien pokemon or ice/dragon)

Solid ice- ice version solid rock + immunity to burn (ice/steel yak)

Superconductor- during hail this pokemon is immune to steel and electric type attacks.(electric/ice lampart)

Winter Armor - this pokemon is immune to the oponents first SE hit of each SE type against it, the second will go normally.
This means that if the oponent uses blaze kick and then flame thrower , that the second attack makes the damage. But if the oponent lest say uses blaze kick, flash canon, close combat and stone edge one after another, non of this attacks will do damage to the user. The oponent would need to use on of this attacks or their respective types twice to hit the target for damage.
Like say sone edge and then rock slide would, first one would make no damage, second one would hit (ice/dragon, winged one)

Last edited:
safe haven [name subject to change]
removes the chance of a move's secondary effect occurring (e.g., status, stat boosts/drops) while the pokemon is out on the field. this does not affect moves with higher critical-hit ratios, nor does it affect moves whose sole purpose is to inflict status on a target or to boost its user or target's stats (e.g. thunder wave, swords dance). the ability is canceled out by mold breaker and is nullified when the pokemon switches out.

no, you're mad about people getting lucky against you in pokemon

Last edited:
Unlucky: Any move by this pokémon that has a chance of missing will miss, and any added effect that has a chance of not happening will not. It cannot be replaced with Simple Beam, Worry Seed, or Entrainment.
A negative ablity like Truant. The pokémon with this if the stats are not altered would only be able to use 100% or better accuracy moves, but by increasing this it can use stronger moves. It obviously can learn accuracy-enhancing moves and Lock-On.
Unlike Truant, because there are many ways to change accuracy it would make the pokémon far more useable, though still easy to counter.

Imagine a ghost/dark type with this ability:

Overlook or Shadow Cloak- this ability ignores the effects of "abilities and moves" that modify the type of other oponents moves or their "type" change via move or ability.
That is that a normal type used by a Galvanaze(alolan golem) user still will be normal typed.
The same goes for Refrigerate(Glalie), normal type moves will still be treated as normal type moves.
Aerialiate, Normalize, Pixilate the same.
weather ball and The signature moves of Arceus Jugdment and Silvally also will get ignored.

camouflage(will hit it like a normal type even if itchanged into a nother type), Color change, Reflect type, Conversion 1 and 2, Protean and Multitype also ignored.

Soak, Forrest Curse and Trick-or-treat , ion deluge, electrify, wont work on the user of this ability.

Last edited:
Imagine a ghost/dark type with this ability:

Overlook or Shadow Cloak- this ability ignores the effects of "abilities and moves" that modify the type of other oponents moves or their "type" change via move or ability.
That is that a normal type used by a Galvanaze(alolan golem) user still will be normal typed.
The same goes for Refrigerate(Glalie), normal type moves will still be treated as normal type moves.
Aerialiate, Normalize, Pixilate the same.
weather ball and The signature moves of Arceus Jugdment and Silvally also will get ignored.

camouflage(will hit it like a normal type even if itchanged into a nother type), Color change, Reflect type, Conversion 1 and 2, Protean and Multitype also ignored.

Soak, Forrest Curse and Trick-or-treat , ion deluge, electrify, wont work on the user of this ability.
What of hidden power? It's listed as a normal type but no Pokémon can actually use a normal HP. would it still match the type that the user's IVs dictate? I guess it's just a weird example because it's not altering the type of the move, but it also kinda is...

What of hidden power? It's listed as a normal type but no Pokémon can actually use a normal HP. would it still match the type that the user's IVs dictate? I guess it's just a weird example because it's not altering the type of the move, but it also kinda is...

Probably the way I would handle this is to specifically state what moves this ability affects. "Moves that have their type changed by an opponent's ability or held item are reverted to their original type when used against this Pokemon" would clearly leave out Hidden Power, as its type is determined by IVs, not by abilities or held items.

Determination- boosts the power of physical moves by 1.5x when the Pokemon's health falls below 2/3 of its total HP.

Revelation- boosts the power of special moves by 1.5x when the Pokemon's health falls below 2/3 of its total HP.

Bubble- doubles the Pokemon's HP but makes it more prone to taking critical hits.

Mist veil- reduces foes chance of hitting the user by 30%. When misty terrain or mist are activated then by 50%.
This ability doesnt work during other weather conditions, only when neutral weather or fog are activated.

More abilities that play with accuracy and evasion would be good if they rise own and reduce oponents.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Or protective mimykyu "disquise" like abilities activating only in the first turn during a weather condition or terrain.

Mist veil- reduces foes chance of hitting the user by 30%. When misty terrain or mist are activated then by 50%.
This ability doesnt work during other weather conditions, only when neutral weather or fog are activated.

Sorry, but this seems to OP. 30 and 50 percent are TOO MUCH. It will break the meta. Give it a severe drawback and then I'll consider.
My suggestion would be the user can only move once per two turns like Truant.

Sorry, but this seems to OP. 30 and 50 percent are TOO MUCH. It will break the meta. Give it a severe drawback and then I'll consider.
My suggestion would be the user can only move once per two turns like Truant.

yes thats right, but two turns is too much.

or reduce to 25% and 40% during fog and make it removeble through Defog(and similar moves)
Or maybe make 20% for physical move and 40% for special moves of its foes. That you need to be close to get it realy hit.
lets say Earthquake and magnitude would always hit it if its on land.

I imagine a ghost type, a mist like beeing, or poison smog/cloud -new female poison/ghost line pokemon with this sort of thing with oposite stats to Gengar and beeeing slower then it. Thats why it was meant to be a little OP to back up lets say a speed between 35 and 55.

beeing a poison/ghost that ability doesnt protect you from defog, wind based moves, earthquake and other 100% hiting moves would be enough. But on the other hand we would need also some kind of other pokemon that would be immune to attacks that always hit any target.

(+ make more moves work like Defog already only with smaller chance of doing the same as Defog does, like removing mist,veirls, and so on by
10%: tail wind
20%: icy wind, heat wave, omnious wind silver wind ,
30% : twister , blizard, hurrican )

Last edited:
@Matleo may I ask you why are you so set in nerfing special attacks? Physical is already dominating the meta so I don’t know why you’re trying to worsen Special’s situation even more.

@Matleo may I ask you why are you so set in nerfing special attacks? Physical is already dominating the meta so I don’t know why you’re trying to worsen Special’s situation even more.

and @PkmnTrainerV complain about baneful buncker , stall and wals?

how many % of all pokemon are physical? how many are special?
how many are both oriented?
how many teams are physical or special?

If you want to make me belive it then give me more data about this.

I look at all generations not only Alola wise, but we got some powerfull special tanks lately too.

Read this:

Last edited by a moderator:
and @PkmnTrainerV complain about baneful buncker , stall and wals?
Becuase they dominate the metagame. And Stall is currently an overused strategy with high profits and little loss.

how many % of all pokemon are physical? how many are special?
how many are both oriented?
That dosen’t matter. What matters is which is more viable, which is physical.
Even if it did matter, physical attackers are more common.
actually, you are wrong about equal distribution. I just counted, and there are ~95 pokemon (including mega evolutions and legendaries) that have 120+ attack compared to ~65 pokemon (including megas and legends) that have 120+ special attack. (the ~ are because I wouldn't be surprised if I miscounted slightly). physical attackers are much more common.
source: List of Pokémon by base stats (Generation VI) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

how many teams are physical or special?
Physical are more commonly used.

1. This is 3 years ago, when special got a huge nerf in the power of its moves.
2. Did you even read those comments?
This one debunks all the points:
1) Reliability and Power: Special moves tend to be 90/100 or 110/~80 in terms of base power and accuracy. However, on the physical side you get things such as Return, Earthquake, or Close Combat which are 100+/100. That's really freaking strong for such great reliability. Granted, this isn't always true (i.e. Rock moves are unreliable; Ghost moves aren't quite strong) but I feel although there is a trend.

2) Priority: As in BW, priority remains supreme in OU. And most priority moves are physical. With the return of BP Scizor and Extremespeed Dragonite, the advent of Shadow Sneak Aeglsiash and Talonflame, and the surge of Aqua Jet Azumarll, physical attackers are really scary to me. Nobody worth mentioning really gets Vacuum Wave.

3) Distribution: This ties into points 1 and 2. Yes there are some really great moves such as Judgment to do damage or Quiver Dance to boost your moves. However, they are not as widely learned as Earthquake or Swords Dance are.

We also now have Assault Vest to curb special attackers as well. I'm also certain that the pokemon with higher BSTs tend to have a higher physical stat than special in OU (i.e. Tyranitar), but I can't say so with confidence without actually checking.

Also, the over usage of Chansey and Blissey make any special attacking mon useless against them. We don’t have such a Attack-breaking Pokemon on the physical side.
Vacuum wave is the ONLY special priority. Also, special moves either lack power or are innaccurate. Physical has hard hitting accurate moves like Earthquake.
Special also has less distribution of stat raising moves, while everyone and their mother get swords dance, bulk up and dragon dance.

From your own linked thread
Those two pokemon end up being really common, in addition to Tyranitar they're literally full stops to almost all special attackers.

The closest thing a physical attacker has to a full stop is Skarmory, but we also have Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Tangrowth if you want to try it out. None of these are on the level of Chansey, Blissey, or Tyranitar.

Adding on to this: Swords Dance has a much better distribution than Nasty Plot.

There's also Dragon Dance, which doesn't yet have a special-attacker equivalent (except arguably Quiver Dance, which few Pokemon get).

Special moves have been nerfed.

There's a lot of physical moves (listed by atk/acc) 100/100 or 120/100 physical moves like Earthquake or Return and Close Combat or Flare Blitz. Special moves by comparison are just 90/100 or 110/80 like Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump. And then there's reliance on Focus Blast.

Priority moves are almost all physical, and the only special one has poor distribution where about two Pokémon that learn it have the special attack to use it. Talonflame and Scizor make this abundantly clear.

Also, Plus/Minus are the only abilities to raise Special Attack and are terribly distributed/incredibly situational compared to similar physically-based abilities. In the same way, compare how many things get Nasty Plot relative to how many get Swords Dance. How many thing get Quiver Dance compared to Dragon Dance? How many get Calm Mind compared to Curse or Bulk Up?

Finally, all Special attackers have Chansey, Blissey and Tyranitar in their way. There are comparatively less Physical walls than there are Special walls, and this is further compounded by the Assault Vest which raises Special Defense. The only Special attackers that can muscle past Chansey and Blissey are Psychic-types and have to use Psyshock, which has a very present immunity in Dark (which can also pursuit-trap).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm just showing that you should yourself read the threads you link.

Last edited:
but there are pokemon with immunities against those kind of physical attacks.

They’re not the overwhelming majority in the meta game and half of those Pokémon are physical attackers.

Also that was only one example. There are many many MANY variations in physical moves, unlike special one, where you’ve got to choose between low power or low accuracy almost always.

And my other points still stand, which you haven’t answered satisfactorily (or even answered at all).

Also that was only one example. There are many many MANY variations in physical moves, unlike special one, where you’ve got to choose between low power or low accuracy almost always.

And my other points still stand, which you haven’t answered satisfactorily (or even answered at all).
flamethrower, energy ball, moonblast, dazzling glam? heat wave, surf?
focus blast? fire blast?

what about those physical with the life loosing effect , reducing stats close combat and so on?

Mind Breaker- if the user has no physical contact with his oponent during turn , then he will deal 1/10 damage to him at the end of each turn.

Battery Trap- If the user of this ability gets trapped by a ability or move then he will deal 1/4 damage at the start of the turn before speed calcs, and 1/10 every next turn to oponent when trapped and traps him too at the same time. (digglet line, ground type with arena trap is immune)

Windstorm- if the user of this ability gets trapped, then he will switch out automatically and deal 1/4 damage to his oponent.

Insomania Web - for a bug/ghost(great defence, sp.def and hp: 115 each) half arachnid half woman pokemon(not legendary), this pokemon can't fall asleep, evey other "not sleeping", awake pokemon will take 1/10 damage evey turn. Pokemon with Vital spirit 1/8or on electric terrain take damage every turn and at the same time heal the user of this ability 1/8 every turn. Pokemon that sleep and have Comatose are protected from this effect.

Shadow Imporstor- works like impostor but copies the last pokemon the user fought with and won with in battle or that switched out.(+side and -side)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom