• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create-an-Ability

Pixie Dust - Any fairy-type Pokemon that has this ability will be completely immune to status ailments like burns or paralysis.

Firewall - Any fire-type Pokemon that has this ability will block all fire attacks, but at the cost of being doubly weak to water as a result.

Luminosity - The Pokemon's body glows in a bright, Flash-like light, cutting the enemy's accuracy by 1/4 when sent out in battle.

True Grit - When HP drops below 1/3, it raises the power of Fighting-type attacks by 1.5x.

Revolt - When a Pokemon is One-Hit KO'ed, the Pokemon it killed attacks right back, inflicting the same amount of damage.

Build-Up - A Pokemon's defense is raised every turn (Kinda like Speed Boost is with speed).

Brute Force - A Pokemon's attack is raised every turn.

Soul Burn- for a fire/ghost(hopefully a starter pokemon)
-the user when enetering battle makes the oponent decreases the amount of HP it took other pokemon before the battle begins.(good against wall and sweapers)

Cool Down- for a fire/???(rock,steel, ground) lava pokemon with very high status, wishiwashi, slaking wise.
This ability reduces attack and speed of this pokemon one stage every turn, or every time hit with water attacks, in rain reduces 2 stages.
The user is immune to damage from water attacks but will activate stats reduction when hit by them.
(stats: 150, 105, 105, 95, 105, 100)

Geo-Weather- this pokemons first typing depends on the weather(rock,ice,fire,rain,normal) and secondary typing depends on the terrain it stands on(fairy,psychic,grass,electric) , if no weather or terrain is present then this pokemon has pure ghost typing.

Weather Change- grass/???, this pokemons secondary typing changes with the weather if no weather is then its pure grass.

Terra Change- rock/???, this pokemons secondary typing depends on the terrain it stands on, when no terrain then its pure rock.

Saf Bunker- blocks catastrophic moves:
Hurricane, Surf, Avalanch, Heat Wave, Blizzard, Sandstorm, Hail, Rock Slide, Thunder, Eruption, Earthquake, Twister, Explosion

I hope for a Reverse Rotor( Roll and Spin) ability that would neutralize rolling and spining moves of the oponent and also cause the user to be a "auto rapid spinner without the damage".

- would remove the effects of any binding moves and Leech Seed from the user, as well as entry hazards from the user's side of the field (unless the user has fainted as a result of the move, such as from Rough Skin).

If we count the amount of moves that rapid spin removes (13) and the amount of the spin,roll, roller ,rolling moves (Gyro Ball ,Steamroller, Rapid Spin, Zing Zap, Rolling kick, Rollout-6) moves then thats 19, not much if you think of it.

Did I forget any???

I could see mega Donphan with it and other spin and rotating pokemon that would always roll and spin. A always spinnning and rolling pokemon. Even could see Eloctrode or something like that.

This kind of ability would be for a mega or a new kind of pokemom with good new or old typing to make full and good use of it.
+we may get a priority rolling move in future.
Bad Luck/Unluck - the ability makes that the user is causing that the oponents effects work chaotic, that omious winds effect will cause status reduction instead of rising, that moves that always hit will miss, that oponents will get automatically with 100% burned, poisoned, frozen, paralyzed, sleep, confused, flinch by their own moves(with exception of type based immunities).
This a ability is ment for a Crimson clown dragon/psychic pokemon.

Dance Lift - this ability not only blocks dance moves but also makes the oponent get hurt when using them.

Impatient: Two-turn moves that require charging always only take one turn to fire, but accuracy of those moves is lowered dramatically.
Probably wouldn't affect moves that require cool-down, like Hyper Beam.

Practice~ The Pokemon's accuracy boost by one stage after one of its moves miss or fails to connect.

Immune System~ After the Pokemon is afflicted with a status condition, it will rid itself of the condition at the end of the next turn. The Pokemon then cannot be afflicted by the same status condition for the rest of the battle.

I like Practice, although i would probably change its name to Target Practice to emphasis the focus on accuracy. That's a neat abilit with great application but not too overpowered.

I don't like Immune System as an ability. Firstly, the ability to permanently block any and all status condition after just one turn of affliction is just far too strong, IMO. Second, immune systems are bodily defense against disease, and none of the major status conditions are caused by pathogens (you could argue poison and sleep could be, but pathogens are only a small subset of toxins, while immune responses tend to trigger drowsiness instead of fight it). Burn, paralysis, and freeze are all physical conditions that aren't blocked by immune response.

Zero Gravity - The pokemon is unaffected by entry hazards. Also the opposing pokemon cannot use moves like stealth rock and spikes while a pokemon with this ability is on the field.

Ethereal - moves used by the opponent will not make contact. Sort of like the inverse of long reach.

Predictability - moves used consecutively against this Pokémon will do slightly less damage each time. Kinda like the opposite of holding a metronome I guess.

Aurally Inclinced - avoids traps(spikes, webs, sneaky pebbles, etc) through echolocation, however in return takes 1.5x damage from sound-based attacks.
Maybe I would just call this one Echolocator.

Zero Gravity - The pokemon is unaffected by entry hazards. Also the opposing pokemon cannot use moves like stealth rock and spikes while a pokemon with this ability is on the field.

An interesting idea, but it shouldn't affect stealth rock - the move description clearly states that the rocks are levitating, and stealth rock still affects flying and levitating foes.

I don't like Immune System as an ability. Firstly, the ability to permanently block any and all status condition after just one turn of affliction is just far too strong, IMO. Second, immune systems are bodily defense against disease, and none of the major status conditions are caused by pathogens (you could argue poison and sleep could be, but pathogens are only a small subset of toxins, while immune responses tend to trigger drowsiness instead of fight it). Burn, paralysis, and freeze are all physical conditions that aren't blocked by immune response.

I just wanted to point out that we already have several abilities that do just that (some have to meet conditions), such as Magic Bounce, Comatose, Leaf Guard, Hydration, Magic Guard (for half of them anyway) and the like. And that's true about immune systems, but I was just embellishing in a Pokemon way.

I just wanted to point out that we already have several abilities that do just that (some have to meet conditions), such as Magic Bounce, Comatose, Leaf Guard, Hydration, Magic Guard (for half of them anyway) and the like. And that's true about immune systems, but I was just embellishing in a Pokemon way.

Of those listed, Comatose is the the closest analogue, as it is currently the only ability that truly blocks all status effects. Hydration is also a close analogue because it guarantees to cure all status effects, but it does not prevent a status condition from being applied later on (and it is only active during rain).
-Leaf Guard and variants prevent that affliction of status conditions, but like the proposed healthcare bill in the United States, they don't affect pre-existing conditions.
-Magic Bounce only prevents the direct affliction of status. It can be circumvented by moves that afflict status as a secondary effect.
-Magic Guard doesn't block the status, it just blocks the damage dealt by the status effect. A Magic Guard user still suffers a speed drop from paralysis and an attack drop from burn. Also, interestingly enough, if a Magic Guard user is afflicted by toxic poison, the toxic counter still increments, even if the damage is not applied. This creates an interesting scenario where I could toxic a Magic Guard user, wait at least 16 turns, use Skill Swap to remove its Magic Guard, and it would die from full HP due to toxic poison.

Probably the closest analogues to your new ability, however, are probably abilities like Immunity and Limber. Not only does Immunity prevent poison, but if the ability is bypassed, then Immunity still cures the user of poison when it gains/regains the ability. Limber does the same for Paralysis. I think that granting an immunity to any status (even if it is after one turn of affliction) is just too much, but as Comatose and Komala prove, an ability is really only as good as the Pokemon that uses it, so maybe it could pass.

Of those listed, Comatose is the the closest analogue, as it is currently the only ability that truly blocks all status effects. Hydration is also a close analogue because it guarantees to cure all status effects, but it does not prevent a status condition from being applied later on (and it is only active during rain).
-Leaf Guard and variants prevent that affliction of status conditions, but like the proposed healthcare bill in the United States, they don't affect pre-existing conditions.
-Magic Bounce only prevents the direct affliction of status. It can be circumvented by moves that afflict status as a secondary effect.
-Magic Guard doesn't block the status, it just blocks the damage dealt by the status effect. A Magic Guard user still suffers a speed drop from paralysis and an attack drop from burn. Also, interestingly enough, if a Magic Guard user is afflicted by toxic poison, the toxic counter still increments, even if the damage is not applied. This creates an interesting scenario where I could toxic a Magic Guard user, wait at least 16 turns, use Skill Swap to remove its Magic Guard, and it would die from full HP due to toxic poison.

Probably the closest analogues to your new ability, however, are probably abilities like Immunity and Limber. Not only does Immunity prevent poison, but if the ability is bypassed, then Immunity still cures the user of poison when it gains/regains the ability. Limber does the same for Paralysis. I think that granting an immunity to any status (even if it is after one turn of affliction) is just too much, but as Comatose and Komala prove, an ability is really only as good as the Pokemon that uses it, so maybe it could pass.

While the details you pointed out about the abilities are all true (although statuses from secondary effects are generally rare and you can Skill Swap Immune System as well), I just wanted to point out that there are current abilities that allow a Pokemon to be immune to status(es). And like you said, the Pokemon is what essentially makes the ability. There are several "broken" abilities out there, like Wonder Guard or Parental Bond, but the Pokemon is ultimately what decides to what degree the strength of the ability is. I don't intend for Immune System to be put on some pseudo legendary or something similar-I just thought it was a cool concept to see in the series. Which is fine if you think it is too OP! I just wanted to mention that there are ways for Pokemon to completely avoid status in the games today, even if they aren't as explicit as my idea, because it seemed to me (at the time) you thought that the notion of such was too OP for the series.

While the details you pointed out about the abilities are all true (although statuses from secondary effects are generally rare and you can Skill Swap Immune System as well), I just wanted to point out that there are current abilities that allow a Pokemon to be immune to status(es). And like you said, the Pokemon is what essentially makes the ability. There are several "broken" abilities out there, like Wonder Guard or Parental Bond, but the Pokemon is ultimately what decides to what degree the strength of the ability is. I don't intend for Immune System to be put on some pseudo legendary or something similar-I just thought it was a cool concept to see in the series. Which is fine if you think it is too OP! I just wanted to mention that there are ways for Pokemon to completely avoid status in the games today, even if they aren't as explicit as my idea, because it seemed to me (at the time) you thought that the notion of such was too OP for the series.

It is an interesting idea, and I didn't mean to completely dismiss it, but I do think it needs to be toned down a bit. I like the idea of a guaranteed status shed -- basically an reliable version of Shed Skin -- but I think the second part that blocks the status after it has been shed is a bit much. I feel like a good compromise is to just take the first part where the Pokemon cures itself of non-volatile status before the end of the second turn, but leave off the second part.

Survivalism: This Pokemon utilizes its survival skills to cure itself of non-volatile status after two turns of affliction.

gen 8

Sonic Cave/ Mountain Echo- the pokemon copies the enemies sound move and realeses it on the next turn.
The user is immune to sound moves. (rock type pokemon, or rock/normal)
(you can beat your oponent and use a extra move on the next turn)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Paralel Immunity- when inflicted with a status condition this pokemon becomes immune to the type of moves of the type the status condition is, -when burned it is immune to fire type moves, when paralyzed-to electric, when frozen-to ice, when confused-(to the type the move was), when flinch(to the type the move was), sleep(to the type the move was) , even if healled from it later in battle(1 immunity per battle), works only during battle. (+a healing move or berry)
(ice/normal???)
______________________________________________________________________________________
Maybe more Truant, Defeatist and Schooling like abilities and behemoth like stats pokemon?
could see new pokemon of the:

-ice type,
-grass type,
-bug type,
-ghost type,
-fairy
-poison
-dragon
-steel

maybe some cross/dual types?

something like this :
- a reverse moody or reverse beast boost every turn (looses 2 stats evey turn)
- a pokemon that all stats fall one stage after every next turn. (resets when switched out)
- a pokemon that could only attack when the oponent uses a physical damage dealing move (sees only the foes that move- the movement)
- a pokemon that flinches or looses a turn when the oponent uses a new sound move in battle against it.
(would work only once per sound move, that reapeating of the same is not posibble, pokemon with more sound moves would do well)
- a pokemon that only attacks when the oponent uses a damage dealing move
(-like only when provoked)
- a pokemon vulnerable to sun light that would get reduced stats when during normal light or sunny day, that would be super strong only during rain, hail and sandstorm conditions or after fog or smokescreen have been used.
a ability that would work like Queenly majesty , bulletproof but would make a pokemon immune to flinching moves ; a other ability for the confusion moves; and one that would make the user immune to moves that always hit and target all foes.

an ability that makes the user immune to bite,crunch, blade, slash,sword, cut moves, (boarking, ground/psychic)

Acustic Tempo- makes all of the users sound moves become priority moves. (after 7 generations its time, perfect ability for a fire/fairy starter greek pan goat creature with 62 speed)

Magic Cage - this ability works once like Disquise and protects the user but activates only if the user gets trapped.

Magic Umbrella- this ability protects from weather damage and if a weather is activated then it works like Disquise for one turn and protects the user from harm.

Trap Colision- if this pokemongets trapped the oponents hp will get halfed.

Trapster- this ability grants immunity to all trapping moves and abilities.

This could be fairy type or cross typed ( pure fairy that turns into a fairy/dark, to counter Darkrai) stats:

Base form :
hp:55 attack:40 def: 40 sp. attack: 55 sp..def: 55 speed: 40

Dream Beast form(during its sleep status only):
hp:55 attack:135 def: 150 sp. attack: 135 sp..def: 150 speed: 35

- worry seed would be more usefull for once.
-wake up slap , electric terrain, and other ways of waking it up would work on it and change its form back.

- would make a sound move that could wake it up (or all sound moves would wake it up or hit SE it like fire hits fluffy (fur coat) )
-maybe a sound move that double power when oponets sleeps and that could wake it up?

-would make it learn Rest and slack off or some draining moves like drain punch.

- would make it learn Sleep Dance- normal or fairy, negative priority -1 , physical, power 50, this move also works during sleep status, but if its used normally will cause the "user" to fall into sleep.

this way creating a rose dragon/grass pokemon with sleep dorn ability to put the oponent by physical contact(40% chance, when oponet attacks only) makes perfect sense
- bug/ghost humanoid Spider Queen that would have an new ability or move to hurt/damage pokemon that are Awake , not sleeping, when this pokemon is on the field, pokes with worry seed and vital spirit would get more damage , pokemon who would sleep would be immune to this.

- Ancient Skin (for Tyrantrum or its mega) - halfs the fairy and dragon type damage dealt by your oponent.
or Kings Armor (also for Tyrantrum or its mega) - halfs steel and fighting type damage delt by your oponent.

That or maybe they could give it a immunity to dragon, or fifgting or steel, or something that kind.

Imagine form changes (of stats and type- similar to wishiwashi, darmanitan, aegislash and others) when hp is drained, your pokemon gets trapped or traps another ;or a switch is forced.

Caged Beast- form change that activates when user is trapped by a move or ability of its oponent. Or when it self traps an oponent to make it work also better.

Drain Change -Form change - the pokemon changes form after draining users hp or it the oponent drained its own hp. (maybe gaining its type)

Switch Change - this pokemon changes forms depending on switch in and out, when forcefully switch(roar, whirlwind, dragontail) it changes its form and stays on the field to battle better.
(they could make that if it self uses U-turn, volt-switch it could either transform and stay to battle or switch out by users decission)

Immune System~ After the Pokemon is afflicted with a status condition, it will rid itself of the condition at the end of the next turn. The Pokemon then cannot be afflicted by the same status condition for the rest of the battle.
and make it immune to the type of moves the status is from. I would make confusion a psychic or fighting status condition.

remastered

Parasite- steals hp healing moves and ability effects of oponents when they restore their hp+ even the hp from draining moves , makes the oponent loose hp instead.

for a giraff or goat based pokemon:

Long neck or Fast Head- head based moves gain the highest priority when used by this pokemon.
(gale wings version but for head based moves)

Last edited:
I know this thread has not been used since 2018, but there is an ability I'm thinking of:

Show-off (I don't know a better name, so I'm calling it for the time being): in Double/Triple Battles, the Pokémon can - but not always - be the center of attention, thus sparing its Ally from the foes' moves.

Oily Skin:
This Pokemon is immune to crit hits.
2× Weakness against fire

Darkness Fear
This Pokemon has so much fear of darkness that he hard can get hit by an Dark-Move's.
Increases tangibilty when it's sunny.

Spirit's Rest
Every time a Pokemon recures ,it fails, but when its a ghost type Pokemon it restores 100% of his HP

Cat Paw
This Pokemon's damage is halfed and his speed is quadrubled. (This Ability isn't exchangeble with entrainment or Roleplay or Skill Swap)

 Curiosity
The Pokemon looks after the Item of the Foe.
It can't use any Attacks like double team.

Bright Fire
When your Pokemon uses a Fire typed move it has the sam effect as Flash but it will make halfed damage.

BOSCH-Drill
When it uses dig it will have doubled power and attacks in one turn but it hits 1/3 time's.

Gerama'a
When u withdraw that Pokemon the next Pokemon is immun to Fighting Attacks (single use).

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom