• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create/Change a Game Mechanic

Reaction score
What game mechanics would you like to see added to Pokemon main series games, or how would you change the already existing ones? Feel free to post here :3

I would naturally like to have the walking Pokemon feature expanded upon, maybe interacting with them on field (petting, feeding, kinda like Amie?), having people react to them (which would probably be... Complex, with Legendary Pokemon :v) and such.

Looking forward to your ideas :3

Yes! I'm not the biggest fan of the walking feature, but if it's done properly - interaction and emotional display from both Pokemon and people - I would really like it.

Personally I have always hoped that the bad guys would actually be.. bad guys. Team Skull did it in some way with the Poke Center in Po Town. But that was more like a little joke, I think. I would love it if the next team would actually ignore the conventional rules or do something that would actually give them an unfair advantage over me. Stealing my potions for example. Another idea I had, was that the Team would actually steal/prison/subdue one of my Pokemon (the strongest at that point) for a short period of time and maybe even have me fight my own Pokemon.

Not expecting it anytime soon, but it's an idea!

I'd want to see the move growth mechanic of recent PMD games adapted into the main series. There's something I really enjoy about building up a weak move's power and fixing the accuracy of an unreliable move.

Obviously it'll need some edits to fit the different game genre but I think it's something worth exploring.

If most of the bad guys in the game are all about stealing other people's pokemon, then why all of them have exactly the same pokemon? Isn't it logical that if you're stealing pokemon, you'd steal some interesting/strong ones, and not a bunch of rattatas or zubats or what else. If not giving them stronger pokemon, then at least make their pokemon party more diverse.

Expand Battle bond and give it to starters which don't have Megas currently. The Johto starters would be my first pick.

And the character customisation argument is basically void since according to the anime, the hero Greninja from the past also looked like Ash-Greninja. The hero couldn't have possibly dressed exactly like Ash.

A "story memory", maybe a facility or a dream world or something, where you can relive and rematch story parts of the game, like evil team encounters or legendaries. (Effectively letting you replay things on the same game)

It could maybe save the team you used the first time and also let you take a different one to the memory, too.

also if walking pokémon are added, obviously you should be able to hug your pokémon

-Choose your trainer class in the beginning of the game, that trigger some advantages, specific clothes and side quests related to the class you pick.

-Age customization if they want to state the main character age like in SM. I loved that Serena/Calem were older, so i'm not sure why they regressed making the protagonist kids.

-A more open world or at least less linear region

-more characterization for the pokemons in the party. Maybe they can react differently in pokemon refresh or any other feature depending of their nature, type, and characteristic.

Not sure if this would even be considered game mechanics or just preferences, but make more trainers that battle you in different kinds of battles. Doing singles for the whole game gets old.

Also, make some new creative battle styles. Bring back triples and rotation. Make inverse battles a more prominent thing. I had this idea a while ago for a kinda of battle (I remembered it cuz someone suggested somewhere in some thread recently a 6V6 battle, all Pokémon out at once). It's like triple and rotation combined, where you send out your 6 Pokémon in a circle, and can freely rotate it each turn to have 3 Pokémon in attacking position. So it's like rotation, but you're also restricted by which Pokémon are next to each other, so that'd take some careful planning.

If most of the bad guys in the game are all about stealing other people's pokemon, then why all of them have exactly the same pokemon? Isn't it logical that if you're stealing pokemon, you'd steal some interesting/strong ones, and not a bunch of rattatas or zubats or what else. If not giving them stronger pokemon, then at least make their pokemon party more diverse.
It's because Grunts are terrible at stealing Pokémon. So they just capture Pokémon on routes like normal trainers.

I wouldn't mind if double resistances/weaknesses were nerfed so that they were 3x instead of 4x.

Let us choose the battlefield/background in online battles. The generic stadium battlefield is kinda lame, especially compared to some of the amazing battlefields we get to see during the main game. Unfortunate, since we only see most of them just once in the games.

I remain as adamant as ever that not only do Seals need to come back, but they need to be expanded into an entire Poké Ball customization feature. Largely because I really don't care for most of the existing Poké Ball designs.

Game Freak is inevitably going to put a new gimmick in the same vain as Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, so they might as do make it something most RPG have: summons! Basically, you use Pokémon who can still evolve in a certain Egg Group to summon a non-Pokémon spirit that helps your entire team in battle, whether through added stats, buffs, or even additional moves used by the summon.

I'm not sure if it would count, but I've wanted a Name Rater that can change the name on any Pokémon for the longest time. It's so frustrating when you get a nice Pokémon via GTS/Wonder Trade/whatever and it has a stupid nickname you don't want. It's not exactly the hardest feature to implement I'd figure...

People reacting to Walking Pokémon would be nice too but it'd be pretty hard to implement.

I'm not sure if it would count, but I've wanted a Name Rater that can change the name on any Pokémon for the longest time. It's so frustrating when you get a nice Pokémon via GTS/Wonder Trade/whatever and it has a stupid nickname you don't want. It's not exactly the hardest feature to implement I'd figure...

A version of this that I've seen suggested and thought was nice was that renaming traded Pokémon could be a benefit of Amie/Refresh. I understand their intention for not letting you change the nicknames of traded Pokémon, but I like the idea that once you've cared for the Pokémon and made it fully affectionate toward you, you would then be allowed to give it a new name, since it now accepts you as its Trainer. Conveniently, the affection stat for the new Trainer is already reduced to zero upon being traded.

A version of this that I've seen suggested and thought was nice was that renaming traded Pokémon could be a benefit of Amie/Refresh. I understand their intention for not letting you change the nicknames of traded Pokémon, but I like the idea that once you've cared for the Pokémon and made it fully affectionate toward you, you would then be allowed to give it a new name, since it now accepts you as its Trainer. Conveniently, the affection stat for the new Trainer is already reduced to zero upon being traded.
I'd be down for that; as long as renaming Pokémon is available in some shape or form. Linking it to Amie would make a lot of sense.

I've been doing a lot of breeding lately, and now I want a feature that lets me view the summary and change the held item of Pokemon that I have in the day care without having to pay 500P just to withdraw it, change its held item, and put it back.

I would love for future games to have a first person option. Being able to see the world through your player character's eyes would be pretty cool. It doesn't even have to be available in the whole game, just certain areas would be great already. They could even combine it with Amie so you can send out your Pokémon and interact with it in first person mode.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom