• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create your own held item

Krash

I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
A simple thread. Create an item (or items) that could be held to influence the flow of battle either for the better or worse.

Mine:
Erasers
(Grass Eraser, Ghost Eraser, etc)
When held, it removes the specified typing from the holding Pokemon. If the pokemon is of a single type (Like Gogoat, a pure grass type), said pokemon becomes "Normal".

This item, in my opinion, has the capability to either broaden or break the metagame. Obviously, there would be some sort of alert (akin to activated abilities) required to notify the opponent, but with this item, you have the ability of making dual-types single type, removing any weakness (wherein also removing any buffs from a second type).

The strategy behind this would have to be well thought out on both parts. A pokemon like Dragonite with a Flying Eraser could make itself pure Dragon, removing a 4x weakness to Ice in favor of simply a 2X weakness. Yes, I know this is a bad example, but you get my point.

So, what kind of held items would you make if you had the chance?

Wow... I like that made up item idea! Well, I guess it's because I've made up all sorts of things like that - not just Items, but abilities and attacks as well.

Here's one made up item I like: the Creepy Costume. This hold item adds the ghost type to the holder. Once the holder gets hit by an attack, the item then disappears.

I might post more of my ideas every now and then.

Another one from me:

The sleeping cap - The holder falls asleep upon entering battle for 2-3 turns. When it wakes up, the item raises all the holder's stats at once.

I've got a few ideas in mind.

Pixie Wings
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. These enchanted fairy wings boost the power of Fairy-type moves.
Effect: Boosts the power of Fairy-type moves by 20% when held.

Microphone
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. This small microphone boosts the power and accuracy of sound-based moves.
Effect: Boosts the power of offensive sound-based moves by 20%, and increases the accuracy of all sound-based moves by 10%.

Remorting Type-Clay
Flavor Text: An item to be held by a Pokémon. This evolutionary lump restores an evolved Pokémon discarded type-related boosts.
Effect: While held, the user regains STAB from a type that it lost prior to evolution.

Aimbot
Description: An item to be held by a Pokemon. Ensures perfect accuracy (except for OHKO moves like Horn Drill).

Shield Generator
Description: An item to be held by a Pokemon. Casts Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard once per battle (activates when user enters battle for the first time).

Steel Tipped Boots
Description: An item to be held by a Pokemon. Increases damage of "kick" attacks by 25%.

Energy Drink
The holder of this item can use two moves consecutively when he switches in, but can't switch out, and moves last for as long as they're in play.

Air Bag
Moves that hit 2-5 times only hit once.

Bird Cage
Flying types have their attack and defence boosted by one stage, but are damaged normally by ground moves.

Supercharger
Description: An item to be held by a Pokémon. When held, it allows the Pokémon to use moves like Hyper Beam without needing to recharge once.

Choice Armour

Increases Def. by 1.5 but only allows the use of one move.

Choice Shield

Increases Sp. Def. by 1.5 but only allows the use of one move.

Block Vest, Assault Vest that raises physical defense.
^This! I can't keep count of it anymore how many times I've thought about my need of this already.

Another idea related to Assault Vest, an item that would slightly boost both defenses but only allowed use of status moves. I suck at figuring out names, but the item would be loved by stallers. Someone with Taunt would probably break it though, but I can also imagine a toxic-staller being very effective against it too. Sweepers wouldn't like Pokemon with this item as their opponent though. :)

Choice Armour

Increases Def. by 1.5 but only allows the use of one move.

Choice Shield

Increases Sp. Def. by 1.5 but only allows the use of one move.

Outclassed by Assault Vest. We need a physical equivalent, though, but it was already mentioned.

Technician Belt: Boosts weaker moves (up to 60 BP) by 1.5 (yep, a Technician item equivalent). Can be stacked with Technician itself.

Imagine a world of Hidden Powers taking advantage of this item, and a 90 BP Bullet Punch/Mach Punch. Maybe too much?

Overloader
Increase all stats by 1 stage upon entering battle, lasting 3 turns, than harshly reduces all stats by 2 stage.

Speed Bump
When this item is being held, the holder's Speed is decreased by 25%, but Contact with the Pokémon lowers the attacker's Speed stat by one stage.
(just like gooey, can be combined to be a super speed reducer on attacker)

Extinguisher
Fire-type moves used on holder deal 75% damage, Power of holder's Water-type moves is increased by 10%

Pachirisu Doll
All non-status attacks will be aimed at holder, boosts the Pokemon's defense and Special Defense by 25%

Energy Booster
*Allows Moves like Hyper Beam to be used without the recharge.
*One Time Use.

Here's an idea - not sure about the name or the precise details, but it may have some use:

Padded Helmet - A helmet crafted for to prevent the used from harming themselves. It cancels the recoil effects of attacks.

Hey, it may have a certain use. I imagine this in conjunction with the Reckless ability and some powerful attacks could be quite effective, but it's still not a definitively best option, since it doesn't give out a damage boost.

Alternately, maybe stopping recoil altogether would be overpowered and it should just halve it, or something? I don't know, though.

Also, how about this:

Drop of Vigour - A strange concoction of unknown origin. It will enhance a Pokemon's stat change once.

Basically, the first time you receive a stat change, it gets boosted by one further stage, like with Simple. Imagine what Shell Smash would be like! Or even just Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance! Very, very broken, but fun.

Wonder Shard
Wonder Shard makes the user immune to direct damage moves that are not super effective (Same as Wonder Guard), in exchange for lowering Attack, Speed, and Special Attack by 2 stages.

Hat of Doom
Ghost type moves always hit Super Effective, but the user is left vulnerable to Normal and Fighting moves.

Wonder Shard
Wonder Shard makes the user immune to direct damage moves that are not super effective (Same as Wonder Guard), in exchange for lowering Attack, Speed, and Special Attack by 2 stages.

That sounds like an interesting and fair item. Of course, it would end up being a nightmare if it got paired with a Pokémon that knows Contrary. *shudders*

Wonder Shard

That sounds like an interesting and fair item. Of course, it would end up being a nightmare if it got paired with a Pokémon that knows Contrary. *shudders*

I had the same thought, but then came to the conclusion that a fair amount of people run Knock-Off anyway. Now, a Spiritomb with this brings back the Wondertomb problem, but the stat debuff gives some sort of recompense.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom