• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create Your Own Pokéball

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
If you could create a few new types of Pokéballs, what would they be?

I am still waiting for the other types of balls that increase the odds of catching specific types (Magma Ball, Phantom Ball, ect), especially since (in a manner) the Lure, Dive, and Net Balls all increase the chance of catching Water-types.

What I would most like to see are the super rare and valuable: HA (Hidden Ability) Ball, IV Ball, and Item Ball.
Guaranteed Hidden Ability, Three (or more) Perfect IVs, and 100% Item Carrying.

Yes? No? What about you?

Well, I may be wrong, but IIRC, back in the 1st gen Mewtwo couldn't be caught with regular pokeballs or greatballs (you needed either ultraballs or masterball), and in gen 7 the concept of a special pokeball designed for catching legendaries returned with beastballs. I'd love to see more of those special balls - both because they solve the infamous "catching the physical god with a run-of-the-mill colector equipment" story issue, and because it would make catching them less tedious.
And on the topic of tediousness - it'd be great if said pokeballs had 100% (or close) capture chance, but would only work after the Pokemon HP was reduced below 25%. It would make catching legends less luck based without making it as anticlimatic as simply throwing masterball.

A pokeball called shinyball that has increased capture rate against shinies (surprising, isn'it?) would be great.

And custom pokeballs. Man, I'd love that. They appear quite often in anime, ranging from Ritchie simply putting stickers on his, through starters given away by Oak being held in labeled pokeballs, to that nameless trainer in the first episode who uses green colored ones instead of red - and in Adventures manga there are even more variants, often rather outlandish, like Falkner using pokeballs that circle around like boomerangs and turn invisible to confuse opponent.
Now giving such properties to pokeballs in game would be ridiculous, but still being able to customize the look of your pokeballs beyond just adding seals would be nice.

Making the Cherish Ball a usable ball with an effect would be nice, love the look of that ball.

Dream Balls too. Like instant hidden ability for the mon you catch, but in return, perhaps limited availability in-game?

Something akin to the cherish ball for starter pokemon (and maybe other gift pokemon too? Or maybe those can be handed out in a premier ball). Basically any other pokemon you meet along your journey can be caught in a pokeball of your choosing, but your starter is always stuck in a plain old pokeball despite its symbolic significance. Like, it could even just look mostly like a normal pokeball but with a little engraving to signify its importance. As an added affect it could have a similar effect to the luxury ball. Alternatively, maybe it starts out looking like a normal ball, with a small detail to make it stand out from the default pokemon, and as you spend time with your partner it slowly morphs to reflect that. Like, call it a memory ball or something?

It would be great if dream, safari and apricorn balls became freely available again too. And after all these years I'm still surprised the net ball has no extra effect on flying types.

As for entirely new types... I like the idea of the above mentioned shiny ball, cause using your master ball on a perish song shiny lapras feels like a bit of a waste... And if hordes or double wild encounters return, maybe a ball that can catch a pokemon while there are still several standing? Cause normally you can't, but call it the focus ball and say it's got a more precise aim or something. I do also feel like we've covered a lot of ground already concerning balls for different types of pokemon and specific circumstances. Like, there might not be a ball specifically for dark, ghost, rock, steel, or ground types, but often the dusk ball will be effective against these pokemon simply due to their locations. And could a ball for branched evolutions potentially be interesting? What about a trap ball, which doesn't immediately catch a pokemon, but rather waits a turn (when you have to deal with pokemon in the semi-invulnerable state). If that's too niche, it could also maybe work well on pokemon that attempt to flee the battle through Teleport or Roar for example?

A Pokeball that would have an increased chance of success if the Pokemon has a status effect would be extremely useful.

It would make inflicting status effects on harder to catch legendaries a lot more meaningful. :c Due to the low catch rates, even paralyzing/putting to sleep some legendaries still isn't enough!

A ball that works better if the Pokémon has a status condition?

I'm not sure if that one exists yet, there's too many for me to keep track of.

This is what we have come up with so far. (I added the names)

Custom Ball-You can add stickers, patterns, and alter the colors of these ball in the PokéBall shop
--You can also add entry animations and special movements (kind of like the Throw Styles)
--The are the balls your Starters come in

Shiny Ball*-Increased Capture Rate for Shiny Pokémon
Suffering Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Suffering Pokémon (Status, Nightmare, Curse, Confusion, Ect)
Legendary Ball*-Increased Capture Rate for Legendary Pokémon
Genetic Ball*-Gives the Captured Pokémon its Hidden Ability
Sticky Ball*-Captured Pokémon has 100% Chance to be Holding Item
Power Ball*-Captured Pokémon has (at least) 3 Perfect IVs
Focus Ball-Allows you to Catch a Single Pokémon in a Hoard
Selection Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon with Branched Evolutions
Critical Ball-Increased Chance for Critical Capture

Health Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is HP
Attack Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is Attack
Defense Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is Defense
Special Attack Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is Special Attack
Special Defense Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is Special Defense
Speed Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Pokémon whose Highest Base Stat is Speed

Light Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Dark and Ghost-type Pokémon, in caves, and at night (Bonus Stacks)
Mythical Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Dragon and Fairy-type Pokémon
Sandstorm Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Ground, Rock, and Steel-type Pokémon, in a Sandstorm, and in the Desert (Bonus Stacks)
Extended Net Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Water, Bug, and Flying-type Pokémon
Sunny Day Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Grass and Fire-type Pokémon, in a forest, and during the day (Bonus Stacks)
Snowstorm Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Ice-type Pokémon and during Hail (Bonus Stacks)
Plain Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Normal and Fighting-type Pokémon and in buildings (Bonus Stacks)
Weird Ball-Increased Capture Rate for Poison, Psychic, and Eletric-type Pokémon and in fields (Bonus Stacks)

*As these balls would be rare, quests to obtain a limited amount (5ish) or having to collect certain items to forge them would be required
¿-The return of Apricorn balls for the type-specific balls would be useful. Along with the forge for the rare balls. At the very least, a PokéBall Shop or PokéBall Master somewhere

I could also add seasons to a couple of the balls (if they ever bring that function back)

what about a pokeballs that could cause a evolution or form change based on apricorn or material they are made of?

I would like to see a Dawn Ball, a counterpart to the Dusk Ball which instead gives the 3x catch rate when catching Pokémon outside or during the day. As it is now, I only ever try to catch Pokémon at night because Dusk Balls are clearly better than Ultra Balls during this timeframe. This is basically why I loved the inverted clock of Moon and Ultra Moon.

My second wish isn't specifially for a new Poké Ball type, but it's still Poké Ball related so I'm dropping it in here. An option to change the ball of a caught Pokémon (costing a ball of your choice, no Master and Cherish Balls since they already can't be passed by breeding) is something I'm sure would be popular. Especially amongst those who really care about their Pokémon being in visually appropriate balls. *coughmalejellicentindiveballcough*

I would like to see a Dawn Ball, a counterpart to the Dusk Ball which instead gives the 3x catch rate when catching Pokémon outside or during the day. As it is now, I only ever try to catch Pokémon at night because Dusk Balls are clearly better than Ultra Balls during this timeframe. This is basically why I loved the inverted clock of Moon and Ultra Moon.

My second wish isn't specifially for a new Poké Ball type, but it's still Poké Ball related so I'm dropping it in here. An option to change the ball of a caught Pokémon (costing a ball of your choice, no Master and Cherish Balls since they already can't be passed by breeding) is something I'm sure would be popular. Especially amongst those who really care about their Pokémon being in visually appropriate balls. *coughmalejellicentindiveballcough*

The Sunny Day Ball has increased rate during the day and I think I covered all of the different environments with different balls as well. The funny thing is, Dawn Ball was one of the ball names I dropped because I combined its abilities with something else. I guess I could have both...

I really only have one Ball idea anymore:

Recycled Ball:
- Cost: P1,000
- Catch rate: 1x
- Is not lost if the Pokemon breaks free

Also, I think Heal Balls should cure abnormal statuses (poison, etc.) after battle.

How about the Premier Ball being more useful?

Also, since we have a Moon Ball, how about Balls for other evo items? Like a Sun Ball, Leaf ball, Fire Ball, Water Ball, Ice Ball, Shiny Ball, etc?
Or a Ball that works well on Pokémon that evolve with any kind of stone? Would be way more useful.

Or a Ball that works well on Pokémon that evolve with any kind of stone? Would be way more useful.[/QUOTE]

While I was putting together the list, one of the things that I was juggling was the price/effectiveness of the balls reflecting their utility. For example:
A FireBall (x3 capture rate for Pokemon who evolve with Fire Stone) costs 300
An Evolution Ball (x2 capture rate for Pokemon who evolve with ANY stone) costs 700

The Evolution Ball has more overall uses, but is slightly less effective and more expensive, so you have to decide which to buy.

With the concept of Forging Ball, same principle could work.
To create FireBall you need: One Red Shard, One Red Apricorn, the hair of a Growlithe (IDK, I am making stuff up)
To create a Evolution Ball you need: One of each Red-Blue-Green-Yellow-Purple Shards, a White Apricorn, and the hair of an Eevee

What do you mean by that?
I too was curious, I guess there is/was a rumor that on your birthday (dictated by your DS clock) a premier ball would function like a master ball. Looking further into it, I found that people were saying it's a baseless rumor. Of course, I haven't tried myself, so I can't say for certain.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom