• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create your own "sidekick" for Ash (or another character like rivals)

Appletree

why
Reaction score
If you could create (or be) a sidekick for Ash, what would s/he look like? What would s/he be?

I'd put a twist on the female sidekick thing. So far, all of Ash's female travelling companions have had relationships with him that seem to skirt the boundaries between friendship and possible romance, with hints that are frequently argued about across the fandom. The girls who have had blatant crushes on him have only been in a handful of eps (like Macey from the Johto League Silver Conferecne). I've wondered what it would be like for a female sidekick to have a constant and obvious crush on Ash, like Buneary did with Pikachu, and see how Ash deals with this without going out of his asexual mind. I figure it might be like Rebecca Hawkins from Yu-Gi-Oh! constantly flirting with Yugi and Yugi getting more and more flustered.

I think Lyra might be better as his sidekick.
Not as ill-tempered as Misty (especially during the earlier Kanto episodes, though that weakness somehow disappears during the Johto/Hoenn eps)

A rival for Ash:

- A few years older than Ash.
- Follows close to the game's main mechanics (stats, TMs, etc).
- Constantly nitpicks on Ash's strategy during and outside of battle.
- Usually beats Ash in-battle.
- Gets rejected by every girl he flirts with.

The Leaf/Green girl would be a good choice. But I wouldn't call her a side kick but a equal oppurtunity.

For something comedic, how about a total spoiled bitch like Ursula or, worse, Asuka Langley Souryuu only rich where SHE drags Ash along on her journey for wrecking her limousine (she can always get another one but wants Ash to pay for the damages due to being a bitch). She compromises and lets him challenge the Gyms but keeps him on a tight leash. And boy does Ash suffer. She mellows out and forgives Ash but when she's in bitch-mode, Ash is in for a world of hurt. Pikachu is hugged by her for being cute, thus escaping her wrath.

Someone who created the anime version of the TCG for those who dislike using real Pokémon in battle, a la Duke Devlin.

Or just make a Duke Devlin character for Pokémon:Slightly roguish, chucks projectiles, battles like Conway. has the best theme music in the abridged series, and flirts with a sidekick's sister/brother, thus POing that character and/or their friend.

I can see a female Duke Devlin in Pokémon as a sidekick, or a rival...

I have this idea in my mind...

I've always preferred the female protagonists over the males, and I've always had this idea in my head for how a female character would be. When Iris was confirmed as the new female protagonist for BW I was almost certain that she'd be exactly the kind of character that I had planned in my head, but... unfortunately she proved to not to be what I had hoped for. But at least she shared a few aspects with the character I had a mind.

Alright - this character is going to be a strong and very prideful girl/woman, who shares Ash's huge love for Pokémon and battles. She's not going to be as dumb and clueless as Ash is though, she's going to be very intellectual and strategic, and be known for be extremely quick with planning strategies for battles. Only one quick gaze on her opponent's Pokémon and 10 seconds is all she need for planning for what she would call; the perfect and flawless strategy. Once she has planned this strategy she's also known for following it all the way, and if her opponent would somehow manage to disrupt the strategy she'd be completely stunned, putting her in a completely defenseless mode which she'll be having a hard time recovering from. In short, she feels very lost and nervous if she don't have a strategy in mind, and can't imagine a battle without one. And even if she'd notice that her strategy wouldn't work as planned she'd still follow it all the way, since going off-tracks would be nearly impossible if she can't come up with a new strategy during the heat of the battle. She always takes type advantage in consideration, and would never even consider going into a battle with a type disadvantage unless she was forced to or had to choose first.

This girl is the exact opposite to Ash, and the only thing they share is pretty much their love for Pokémon.

My idea is that she's also going to be going for gym battles, aiming for the league. With both Ash and her going for gym battles, my idea is for a couple of the gym battles they have to be tag battles, and this is were it gets really interesting.
My idea is for the two of them to learn from each other. We all know that Ash is very straightforward and impulsive, going with what he feels is right and quickly adapting to different situations in different battles, and not really caring that much for type advantage in battles, or strategies either, for that matter. She though, is all about strategies and type advantage, which will result in the two of them having a hard time co-operating due to their huge differences in battling. They'll be forced to learn from each other in order to actually be successful in battles. And it is indeed going to take quite a while for them to learn from each other, and it'll require lots of episodes were the two of them will be co-operating in different situations, learning more about each other and how the other on is working, and starting to see things from the other one's perspective, but it'll make results. With time they'll both grow massively, as they're starting to battle a bit more like the other one. Ash'll still be impulsive and straightforward, but thanks to his partner he will actually start planning some ahead, and taking type advantage in consideration. He'll be less reckless in battles, so to speak. She will still be very strategic, but she will also start connecting more to her Pokémon. She'll start believing in them more and not being too picky with type advantage, and she'll also start going with rather impulsive moves, and not going all out with her strategies all the time. This is going to prove beneficial for both of them, as they'll grow stronger both as two individual trainers as well as duo. They'll become the greatest of friends, but they'll also become the greatest of rivals.

I guess you all see what comes in the league, right? Yup.
At one point, they'll be forced to fight each other, and since they both are very well aware of how much the other one absolutely loves battling and how the other one has always been dreaming of actually winning the league, they'll be having a hard time to actually battle each other, since they don't want the other one to leave. They'll somehow come through though, and give us a full battle that will prove to be the greatest one ever.

I have so many more ideas for this character! But, I'm just too lazy to write the rest of it... ^^''
Also, if I got to name her, her name would be Donna. That's the name of one my best friends, and it is she whom I've based my character on.

Last edited:

I've always preferred the female protagonists over the males, and I've always had this idea in my head for how a female character would be. When Iris was confirmed as the new female protagonist for BW I was almost certain that she'd be exactly the kind of character that I had planned in my head, but... unfortunately she proved to not to be what I had hoped for. But at least she shared a few aspects with the character I had a mind.

Alright - this character is going to be a strong and very prideful girl/woman, who shares Ash's huge love for Pokémon and battles. She's not going to be as dumb and clueless as Ash is though, she's going to be very intellectual and strategic, and be known for be extremely quick with planning strategies for battles. Only one quick gaze on her opponent's Pokémon and 10 seconds is all she need for planning for what she would call; the perfect and flawless strategy. Once she has planned this strategy she's also known for following it all the way, and if her opponent would somehow manage to disrupt the strategy she'd be completely stunned, putting her in a completely defenseless mode which she'll be having a hard time recovering from. In short, she feels very lost and nervous if she don't have a strategy in mind, and can't imagine a battle without one. And even if she'd notice that her strategy wouldn't work as planned she'd still follow it all the way, since going off-tracks would be nearly impossible if she can't come up with a new strategy during the heat of the battle. She always takes type advantage in consideration, and would never even consider going into a battle with a type disadvantage unless she was forced to or had to choose first.

This girl is the exact opposite to Ash, and the only thing they share is pretty much their love for Pokémon.

My idea is that she's also going to be going for gym battles, aiming for the league. With both Ash and her going for gym battles, my idea is for a couple of the gym battles they have to be tag battles, and this is were it gets really interesting.
My idea is for the two of them to learn from each other. We all know that Ash is very straightforward and impulsive, going with what he feels is right and quickly adapting to different situations in different battles, and not really caring that much for type advantage in battles, or strategies either, for that matter. She though, is all about strategies and type advantage, which will result in the two of them having a hard time co-operating due to their huge differences in battling. They'll be forced to learn from each other in order to actually be successful in battles. And it is indeed going to take quite a while for them to learn from each other, and it'll require lots of episodes were the two of them will be co-operating in different situations, learning more about each other and how the other on is working, and starting to see things from the other one's perspective, but it'll make results. With time they'll both grow massively, as they're starting to battle a bit more like the other one. Ash'll still be impulsive and straightforward, but thanks to his partner he will actually start planning some ahead, and taking type advantage in consideration. He'll be less reckless in battles, so to speak. She will still be very strategic, but she will also start connecting more to her Pokémon. She'll start believing in them more and not being too picky with type advantage, and she'll also start going with rather impulsive moves, and not going all out with her strategies all the time. This is going to prove beneficial for both of them, as they'll grow stronger both as two individual trainers as well as duo. They'll become the greatest of friends, but they'll also become the greatest of rivals.

At one point, they'll be forced to fight each other, and since they both are very well aware of how much the other one absolutely loves battling and how the other one has always been dreaming of actually winning the league, they'll be having a hard time to actually battle each other, since they don't want the other one to leave. They'll somehow come through though, and give us a full battle that will prove to be the greatest one ever.

I have so many more ideas for this character! But, I'm just too lazy to write the rest of it... ^^''
Also, if I got to name her, her name would be Donna. That's the name of one my best friends, and it is she whom I've based my character on.

Best. Idea. Ever. Send that to the writers and my life would be complete.

Best. Idea. Ever. Send that to the writers and my life would be complete.

Thank you! ^^

I was so glad reading your positive comment, it's really appreciated. ^^

A dude named Jason or something. He is a league battler to he only uses attack moves he has a habit of spamming his most effective attack. He challenges people to pokemon battles when ever someone disagrees with him unless they are more experienced. He would be reckless like Ash but in a different way he would never battle without a pokemon and he would know types well and bring up the obscure match ups constantly. He would have a tendency to drag Ash into his own conflicts like challenging a couple of thugs to a tag battle and making a wager that effects Ash much like how Cilan did in his first on screen battle with Burgundy. He would argue with everyone all the time for plot convenience and comic relief.

Back
Top Bottom