• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Creating Your Own Contest!

Reaction score
Greetings!

Do you want to create a Contest, but are you not sure of how to do it the best way possible? Look no further, for we shall help you to create a high quality Contest!

First and foremost, please read, if you have not done so, The Contest Hall Rules & Regulations. Even if you already did, reviewing them is always a good idea!

Now, in order to start your Contest, you need to create a new thread (if you do not know how to do so yet, simply press the "Post New Thread" button on the right top of the thread list). Then, it is time to start out by writing your post.

Please have the following points in mind:
  • Include an introduction to your Contest. Why did you chose those particular contestants? Is there any kind of specific goal they should meet in order to be more vote worthy? Etc...
  • Present the Contestants. We suggest you to do so using the highest quality artwork possible (as an example, in the case of Pokémon themselves, you should use Sugimori artwork or their newest sprites). To find art, we recommend using the Bulbagarden Archives, which host a great deal of high-resolution pictures you can use. If you're unaware on how to add an image, simply press the "image" button and fill it with your image's link. Also, if your image is prone to stretch others' screens, please spoiler it. To do so, simply put "[spoiler]" at the beginning of your image's code, and "[/spoiler]" at the end of it.

Do not forget to name the contestants as well, and display their strongest and weakest points to help the voters decide. Researching a little about the contestants is very useful. Bulbapedia should have all the information you'll need.
  • Create a questionnaire. Normally those help the voters decide, so the more points you provide the better! Examples:
    • Whose design do you prefer?
    • Who is the best battler?
    • Which one is the most useful?
After your thread is written, it is time for the final preparations!
  • Insert a title. A good title is generally one which informs. A generic "X vs Y vs ..." (example: "Pikachu VS Meowth") should suffice, but if you are pitting something specific, it might be better to make the title something in the lines of "Region Wars: Kanto VS Unova!", for example. These flavour texts may also help increase the interest in your Contest, so try to use them.
  • Create a Poll. These are essential to keep track of the voters' preferences. Your Poll should contain at the very least the contestants, but including the Neither/Both options usually works well.
  • Check your spelling and grammar. A good tip is to copy paste your text into an online spell checker, or your text processor of choice.
Once all these procedures are complete, your Contest is ready to be posted. We hope you had fun creating your contest and another good time watching it develop!

- The General Pokémon Discussion Moderators Cresselia92, SirOni & MegaPod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer using sprites for the pokemon themselves. Is using Sugimori artwork a requirement or just a suggestion?

Can this said contest be a game? Like a tournament where everyone votes for one then you'd have to vote for new ones the next day?

I've made up a tournament for Pokemon Teams but don't know where to put it lol

What do you mean, exactly? Feel free to post any battle that hasn't been done before (use the search feature or the Index to check), and please don't set a time for the poll to close. But if you want to post a battle, wait for a day's results, then post another based on a few...feel free, so long as it doesn't go against the rules of the Contest Hall.

I mean a contest game without a poll. Like I had a game not on here. It's a Pokemon teams tournament and you had to vote on each battle with team would win. The winning teams move on while the loosing teams die out.

The Contest Hall doesn't support those kind of tournaments. However, you could attempt to use the blogs for that, as no section really serves for you to do that activity.

Last edited:
Could this be a place (if not a sub-forum if there's interest) to ask for short reviews of certain pokémon? Say Maractus, how it stands competitively and if the design is appealing. With a poll where its given a number between 0 and 10.

I'm interested in these statistics as I want to know the exact bottom 100 list.

From what I understand here, you are asking if threads involving only one Pokemon is allowed. In that case, I don't think so, as this sub-forum is for threads comparing two or more subjects. I am not sure how you can go around doing this, but the best I can think of is to create a blog to ask people this, or specifically ask anyone to help you with the statistics.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the quick answer! This could be blog material, if the blog only had the capability to reach out to a significant amount of people.
Won't hurt giving it a try I suppose.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom