• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Creating your own Pokemon?

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Related to the "original regions" thread, but different in scope. Have you ever created your own Pokemon for a fic? What do you draw upon for inspiration, how do you name them, etc.

Obviously, I've created original Pokemon for fics before (one in particular, of course :p), but I'm curious about other writers here.

I've made some fan Pokemon, but none for any fics yet. However, someone did tell me that I should do a journey fic taking place in my fan region someday, which I'm considering. It has a small amount of canon Pokemon but many of them are new and the dex will have 190-ish Pokemon, so a lot of things would be fresh!

For Astrea, I have around 113 new Pokemon, of which 105 are completely original and unconnected to any previous Generations.

Closest thing I have to fanmade Pokémon these days is my reinterpretation of the glitch Pokémon. I used to have proper Fakémon, which were usually based on whatever popped into my head or whatever objects I had lying around (I was quite young at the time), but I try to avoid the concept now for fear of contradicting future generations.

I've done it once, but I'm normally not creative enough to come up with anything good.

I've actually created a decent number. Not a full region's worth yet, mind you, but it's been an on-off project for years.

The starters are a Grass-type terror bird (which may or may not gain an extra typing after it evolves; I haven't decided yet), a Fire-type bear (originally a pig, but then that actually happened; haven't decided on secondary typing again), and a Water/Poison-type Man-O'-War. They are, respectively, Aviage, Grassowary, and Graptor; Charcub, Grizzler, and Kodiash; and Drolyp, Medewsa, and Venowar.

Basically, I just tried to think of stuff that hasn't been done before (okay so Venowar is similar in typing and origin to Tentacruel but idgaf Man-O'-Wars are awesome), use new type combinations, etc. This region has sort of a tropical theme (even moreso than Hoenn did), and so I get a lot of inspiration from animals who live in tropical locales, such as Hawaii, the Amazon, Australia, etc. For the names, I just try to think of something fitting that describes the Pokémon.

Similarly to Glitchipedia, I have adapted the Glitch Pokemon into a few stories bubbling in my head, though I don't know if that really counts...

I've never created one for a fic, though I was thinking about it.

I have, however, created them, but only for fun.

I like the idea of creating Fakèmon. My dream would be to have a kitten-like Pokèmon who isn't lame or weird looking like most of the existing ones. Electric type wittle kitty :)

Well *coughs* I think this is a good discussion for me as my fic practically revolves around the Pokemon I created (well the first one, this one not so much) I originally created Chigon and all the evolutions that come with it out of a whim because I wanted to try something different. The idea was a bit tough to work out at first as I wanted to create a Pokemon that was different and special but not a plot device like a lot of fanmade Pokemon are usually made out to be. So I made Chigon simply normal/dragon and gave it a few attacks here and there. For its evolutions I thought more things out, deciding to pick one from what I felt were some of the more basic types of the Pokemon games.

But I think the best way to work with a fanmade Pokemon is to work out their limitations as well as their strengths, I for one have read Astrea as you've noticed so I can say that you definetily have that down, though you need to if you want to make an original region with original Pokemon to begin with.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom