• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cruise Ship strikes rocks, 6 dead so far.

Gligar13

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P
Reaction score
Overhead Bin - Rescue divers resume search of stricken Italian cruise ship

GIGLIO, Italy - Rescue workers searching the half-submerged hulk of a capsized Italian cruise ship found the body of an adult male just before dawn Monday, according to Italian television.

Sky News reported that the man was wearing a life jacket but that he was not found in a part of the ship that was submerged.

The news brought the death toll to six people with 60 injured more than 48 hours after the huge vessel capsized off Italy's west coast.

Fourteen people were still missing, including nine passengers, one of them a young child according to Italian media, and five crew members, according to Reuters.

Slideshow: Luxury cruise ship runs aground

Max Rossi / Reuters

The Costa Concordia ran aground Jan. 13 off the coast of Italy, resulting in the evacuation of thousands of passengers as the ship began heavily listing.

Three people, a South Korean honeymoon couple and a member of the ship's crew, were rescued Sunday and police divers also recovered the bodies of two elderly men, still wearing emergency life jackets.

The captain of the 114,500 ton Costa Concordia was arrested Saturday, accused of manslaughter and abandoning his ship before all of the more than 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated.
•Ship owner: 'Significant human error' by captain likely

Francesco Schettino's employers, Costa Crociere, said in a statement Sunday that he appeared to have made "serious errors of judgment" and had brought the ship too close to shore, where it struck a rock that tore a large hole in the hull.

Divers were out in cold water, searching for survivors after the Costa Concordia ran aground and capsized. NBC's Michelle Kosinski reports from the Italian coast.

The disaster occurred when the ship struck a rock as dinner was being served Friday night, triggering scenes of panic that witnesses said were like the film "Titanic" with passengers jostling to get on lifeboats and some leaping into the icy sea.

Passengers say there were unexplained delays in organizing the evacuation of those on board and this had resulted in chaos.

The vast hulk of the 950-foot-long ship, half submerged and lying on its side, loomed over the little port of Giglio, an island in a maritime nature reserve off the Tuscan coast.

Safety standards require cruise ships to have public address systems, enclosed lifeboats and evacuation chutes. NBC's Mark Potter has more.

A large gash could be seen in its hull but salvage experts said its fuel tanks did not appear to have been damaged, lessening the danger of an oil spill in the pristine waters.

Paolo Tronca, a local fire department official, said the search would go on "for 24 hours a day as long as we have to."

Investigators were working through evidence from the equivalent of the "black boxes" carried on aircraft to try to establish the precise sequence of events behind the disaster, which occurred in calm seas and clear weather.

'Serious human error'
Defense Minister Giampaolo Di Paola, a naval admiral, said the disaster did not appear to have been caused by natural or technical factors.

"In my estimation there was a serious human error, which had dramatic and tragic consequences," he told RAI state television.

Operators Costa Crociere said Schettino appeared to have failed to follow standard emergency procedures.

Patrick Capito was a passenger on the capsized Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia and describes swimming to shore after attempts to get into a life raft failed.

"The route followed by the ship was too close to the coast and it seems that his decisions on the management of the emergency did not follow the procedures of Costa Crociere," said the company.

Prosecutors accused Schettino, who has worked for Costa Crociere since 2002 and who was promoted to captain in 2006, of leaving the ship before the evacuation was complete.

Coastguard officials said he had refused to return to the vessel when asked to.

Schettino has told Italian television that the ship hit rocks that were not marked on maps and were not detected by navigation systems. He said the accident occurred some 300 meters from shore.

Costa Crociere expressed "deep sorrow" for the disaster.

It said all crew had been properly trained in safety procedures and that the ship was fully equipped with life jackets, medical supplies and other safety equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The angle the ship is at is quite chilling...one wrong move and any possible survivors (trying to stay in air bubbles etc.) will sink with it.

Although it's quite interesting that Wiki still refers to the ship in present tense and not past. How do you turn something like that upright?

The internet has just found another source for their funny fail pics.

Seriously? All you can think about at this point are unfunny memes?

Last edited:
Seriously? All you can think about at this point are unfunny memes?

That's what I first thought when I saw the image. Although the fact that a few people died from the accident sort of makes the joke uncomfortable. Of course, this is also another reason why I don't want go on a cruise ship.

That this ship ran into the ground, tipped at an ungodly angle, and then fell back into the water is an absolute nightmare. Thankfully the vast majority are okay, though it is sad that people died in this. Hopefully anyone still alive in the ship is rescued soon.

Serious mess-ups all around on the part of the captain. Running aground is bad enough, but the fact that he abandoned ship before ensuring the safety of as many people as possible gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. Thankfully this isn't exactly the Titanic.

Coastguard begged Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino to return to ship after crash, recording shows

The Italian coastguard pleaded in vain for the captain of the capsized Italian cruise ship the Costa Concordia to return on board to oversee the evacuation but he refused, according to what a leading Italian newspaper said was a recording of the conversation.

Corriere della Sera put the tape, which it said was recorded by the coast guard, on its website.

It conforms with reports that have leaked out in the past few days since the Costa Concordia hit a rock on Friday night. Six people were killed and 29 are still missing.

Captain Francesco Schettino is in jail, accused of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, and was due to appear before magistrates for questioning on Tuesday morning.

The recording says in part:

Coastguard to captain (who has already left the ship):

“There are people who are coming down the ladder on the bow. Go back in the opposite direction, get back on the ship, and tell me how many people there are and what they have on board.

“Tell me if there are children, women and what type of help they need. And you tell me the number of each of these categories. Is that clear?!

“Listen Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit, go back on board!”

Captain to Coastguard: “Please ….”

Coastguard to captain: “There is no please about it. Go back on board. Assure me you are going back on board!”

Despicable.

Serious mess-ups all around on the part of the captain. Running aground is bad enough, but the fact that he abandoned ship before ensuring the safety of as many people as possible gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. Thankfully this isn't exactly the Titanic.

He didn't abandon ship. he accidentally slipped into a lifeboat. He was obviously extremely concerned with the safety of his passengers before his "accident".

Are men obliged to sacrifice themselves for women and children?

Newpapers here were calling men "arrogant and selfish" when the "refused" to let women and children get into the life boats first. This disaster is bad enough but are they seriously gonna pull this crap?

He was obviously not genre savvy enough to go down with his ship.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom