• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cubone's mysterious past and why he evolves into Marowak

Why their mothers died is explained by the fact team rocket is using pokemon and pushing them to their limits, and they may very much eventually die...

So if Cubone's are Kangaskahn babies... and all Kangaskahn are born Female, then where do male Cubone's come from?

Wasn't MissigNo, like, originally unerased data that Marowak evolved into Kangaskhan? I'm not so sure about this though.

MissingNo. was there because of the old man glitch. Here's what Bulbapedia says.

Anyway, I think it was one of those things that was messed up in the original games, but was never fixed. In my opinion, it's like saying "if a pig could fly with just pure willpower alone, then why would that happen?"; you can't really explain it, because it doesn't really make sense in the first place.

But maybe there is some explanation that I don't know about so I'm not saying that it's definite nonsense.

A skull-less cubone made by me

and are Cubones based on dinosaurs according to bulbapedia they are
And the evolution it goes like this: Cubones are supposed to turn into Kangaskhan but hence the skull( the skull merges with the DNA and becomes it's head instead) it evolves into Marowak instead.

And the evolution it goes like this: Cubones are supposed to turn into Kangaskhan but hence the skull( the skull merges with the DNA and becomes it's head instead) it evolves into Marowak instead.

Um... what? Somthing that you wear externally cannot become somthing PART of you physically.

Why their mothers died is explained by the fact team rocket is using pokemon and pushing them to their limits, and they may very much eventually die...

Huh?
What about after the defeat of Team Rocket and those regions where TR's influence never reached? Pokemon do die but the baby cubone has a skull helmet and its mother is still alive. At that very moment, the whole theory that cubone wears its mother's skull is crumpled and thrown out in the trash.

I say this again. Cubone along with Kangaskhan were poorly thought out pokemon.

It's a nice theory but how do you explain seeing no Cubone without a skull on their head? Do their mothers always die?

That what I always thought.

Maybe it was the original idea for a cub one to evolve into kanghaskan (as there is a big likeness between the two) but it was less disturbing for children to evolve it into something than has an actual skull-like head, so that they wouldn't have to imagine a mother kanghaskan decaying...

This seems like what the deal is.

I wish they'd retcon the three of them into Ground/Normal Pokemon and make Cubone's evo split based on gender.

It would plug a lot of holes in the Kanto metaplot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all of you are wrong. The truth, as always, is much more simple.

CuboneDiglett74486.png

Think about it.

Cubone's face is the only part that we NEVER see, and Diglett's face is the only part we EVER see.

They're both Ground-types.

Have you ever seen the both of them in the same room at the same time?

Exactly.

I watched someone on youtube and it's true that cubone or marowak were going to evolve into kangaskan but the people who were making it abandoned it. But, they didnt delete the data of the evolution entirely hence creating Missingno. They had to put Missingno somewhere because it's data wasnt fully deleted so they put it next to cinibar island. And i dont why it only happens when u talk to the old man that teaches u how to catch pokemon.

There are a few problems with this theory. One: the baby Kangaskhan doesn't look at all like a Cubone, other than them both being small, dinosaur-like creatures.

GoodBabyKanga.png

104Cubone.png

Giselle_Cubone.png

They are different colors, their hands and feet are different, Cubone has spikes coming out of its back and the eyes are completely different. Also, if you look at the adult Kangaskhan's head, Cubone's skull doesn't look like it belongs to a Kangaskhan. (The skull has horns, while Kangaskhan has ears.) Though it is slightly different, Cubone's skull does look very much like Marowak's head.

And there's also the case of the mother Marowak ghost defending her Cubone child, which would prove that Marowak are the parents of Cubone, not Kangaskhan. So no, I don't think Cubone are baby Kangaskhan. There's not really anything official to suggest it.

Apparently they were supposed to evolve into Kangaskhan, And thats why MissingNo often evolves into a Kangaskhan. That theory was abandoned though, Because in the 1st generation, there was not split evos nor evos with more than 2 pokemon on them. I just think its a really messed up theory that is a dead end :l

Just a Game Freak screw up. And why would Marowak die anyway D:

I don't get where this theory comes from honestly, Kangaskhan doesn't even look like Cubone, plus we've all seen Baby Kangaskhan and know that it is the same species as it's mother. It's a weird theory but I don't think there is much to back it up, it's more likely that Cubone is wearing something like a Marowak's skull, though it doesn't look exactly like that so who knows. Cubone isn't really supposed to be shown without it's skull, it's supposed to be part of the Pokemon and it's design.

I have to agree with Aquanova here. It is a interesting theory but they look similar in very few ways. 1: colors are different. 2: Cubone has spikes on it's back. 3: The Skull Cubone wears is different then a Kangaskhan's skull. 4: Eyes are different. and Finally 5: They are different types.

And that is all :)

I don't think this theory works either, I really can't see many similarities between Cubone and Kangaskhan. I think it's a really creative idea though.

M' evolves into Kangaskhan, Missingno doesn't evolve at all. Anyway, M' evolving into Kangaskhan is due to a quirk of index numbers and nothing else (Kangaskhan being the very second Pokémon programmed into the game, after Rhydon).

I never really understood the "Cubone is Kangaskhan" theory, personally. Apart from the prior-mentioned fact that they look nothing alike, Cubone is a tiny 1 foot tall thing while Kangaskhan is a 7 foot tall beast. Cubone's skull mask is only slightly larger than its actual head, whereas you could probably fit the entirety of Cubone's body into a Kangaskhan's massive skull.

I will say though, I am very much supportive of the idea of them making the baby Kangaskhan into its own Pokémon. To this day I'm still utterly flabbergasted that they missed such an excellent opportunity when baby Pokémon were introduced in Gen II.

Also, just for fun, in case you ever wanted a better idea of what Cubone looks like under there, check out the infamous card showing the art of a fairly decent portion of Cubone's face. Not surprisingly, he looks pretty generic.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom