• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Curiosity finds history book worthy Mars discovery?

Neil Armstrong's foot on the moon was "One for the history books" too. And yet it wasn't old history per se.

That said, NASA PR is now in downplaying mode, trying to get the rumor cat back in the bag, and claiming "They're just really excited about the mission, we have no pplan to reveal anything specific, it's the whole mission that's going to be historical".

It SOUNDS like damage control to avoid an early leak doing too much damage if it proves false.

Despite what most people belive curiosity doesn't have the ability to discover life at all except by it photo and video cameras because the sensors on it a designed to look for the trace elements that COULD have made up life like carbon and oxygen on the ground and in rocks in past.

Despite what most people belive curiosity doesn't have the ability to discover life at all except by it photo and video cameras because the sensors on it a designed to look for the trace elements that COULD have made up life like carbon and oxygen on the ground and in rocks in past.

Was just about to say that :(

If I had to take a guess at what they found it would just be complex organic materials of some sort.

Now I'm curious whatever happened to life on Mars that made it lifeless, and will the same thing happen to our planet.

As for why Mars no longer is able to support life, mainly it has to do with the size and composition of it. If I remember correctly, Mars' core isn't composed as well for long term convection as well as the earth, combined with Mars' smaller size means that its core stopped convection and the Dynamo effect ended, causing the martian magnetosphere to stop being formed. This caused the solar wind to strip away most of Mars' atmosphere and blanket the surface in solar radiation.

Mars doesn't have suitable conditions right now for life. However, if any microscopic organisms found are living off without oxygen, it'll be surprising. Oxygen, in fact, DOES exist on Mars. So does liquid water. Both are frozen in the ice caps. Mars has valleys and what not? Yes, Mars MUST have had life. Even for a short period of time. I don't think Curiosity found life, I think it found traces of life or maybe even fossils.

As for why Mars no longer is able to support life, mainly it has to do with the size and composition of it. If I remember correctly, Mars' core isn't composed as well for long term convection as well as the earth, combined with Mars' smaller size means that its core stopped convection and the Dynamo effect ended, causing the martian magnetosphere to stop being formed. This caused the solar wind to strip away most of Mars' atmosphere and blanket the surface in solar radiation.

I couldn't have explained better than this. The only way to 'Terraform' Mars would be to constantly heat up the poles- But even if Mars becomes like Earth, at one time or another it will return to it's present state. Solar wind is bad.

Apparently Curiosity may have found organic compounds on Mars.

But I thought NASA was useless without the Space Shuttle Program!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom