• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Current Anime Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

----

Reaction score
Welcome to another thread here in the animu section of Entertainment Inc! Here everyone is free to discuss what anime are airing at the moment. If your post contains spoilers to said series, please label it as such.

This list will be updated seasonally by yours truly. (I will only be adding what is viewed as the most popular for now
Summer 2016:

ReLIFE (TMS Entertainment)

Food Wars!: The Second Plate (J.C. Staff)

Berserk 2016 (Gemba)

Nanatsu no Taizai: Seisen no Shirushi (A-1 Pictures)

Orange (Telecom Animation Film)

Mob Psycho 100 (Bones)

D. Gray-man Hallow (TMS Entertainment)

Danganronpa 3: Future Chapter (Lerche)

Danganronpa 3: Despair Chapter (Lerche)

91 Days (Shuka)

Rewrite (8bit)

Masou Gakuen HxH (Production IMS)

Tales of Zestiria the X (ufotable)

Handa-kun (Diomedea)

Taboo Tattoo (J.C. Staff)

Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (LIDENFILMS)

Servamp (Brain's Base)

Qualidea Code (A-1 Pictures)

Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (Madhouse)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contining Series:

Re: Zero (White Fox)

Dragon Ball Super

Twin Star Exorcists

Ace Attorney ( A-1 Pictures)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (David Productions)

Endride (Brain's Base)

Yugioh Arc-V (Studio Gallop)

Last edited:
So far I've watched the first episodes for Endride (not in the list in the opening post ), Hero Academia, and Re:ZERO. Going to check out Mayoiga at some point tonight as well.

As a reader of the manga for Hero Academia, I'm stoked with how accurate the adaptation is so far. Studio Bones is pretty awesome, and I have faith that they'll work magic for this show.

Endride gave me really nostalgic vibes, I guess with how typical battle-fantasy shounen it is, but I found it entertaining. I'll probably keep up with it.

Looking forward to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Stray Dogs, and Twin Star Exorcists. There's a ton of shows that interest me this season.

I was at anime Boston and went to the premiere event for Kiznaiver. It was the first two episodes and it had a really solid start. I'm definitely gonna be watching it.

That's the only show that I know for sure I'm going to be watching. Gonna keep an eye on early reviews like I always do.

I watched the first episode of Mayoiga... and it's not really my taste.

I'm going to keep up with Ace Attorney because I've been waiting for this the whole time - even if the animation screams 90s anime.

Sakamoto desu ga? is definitely one of my picks for this spring. The manga is notorious for its twisted humor taking advantage of Sakamoto's good looks and his over-the-top actions.

I'm gonna try Bungo Stray Dogs when it starts.

As a reader of the manga for Hero Academia, I'm stoked with how accurate the adaptation is so far. Studio Bones is pretty awesome, and I have faith that they'll work magic for this show.

Ow it's circulating already..? Will check it OUT!! XD

Thx for sharing...

Have yet to watch My Hero Academia at the moment, but it's nice to hear good things about it. Having read a bit of the manga, I'm certainly looking forward to the adaptation.

Diamond is Unbreakable keeps the silly yet ridiculous charm that the rest of JoJo's has and with a new improved artstyle to boot.

Ace attorney was a bit disappointing to me. Phoenix's (or whatever the hell his Japanese name is) voice actor didn't really fit and was a bit too childish imo. The Soundtrack was alright and the story is as good as case 1 in PWAA. Nevertheless I'll be keeping up with it.

This season is looking pretty good so far! Here's what I have checked out:

Kabaneri: is really engaging. It looks to unsurprisingly be carrying a very similar feel to SnK. Which means that, worst case scenario, it devolves into mindless yet very entertaining action. I see myself sticking this one out until the end either way though. I also think this will for sure end up being commercially successful.

Mayoiga: As is typical for such a large ensemble cast, you've got a lot of annoyingly over the top characters (but you kind of need this to tell them apart). This is moving slowly so far, but these types of shows rely on being carried by well written mystery and suspense, which has yet to really be developed. There is potential, so I'll probably be holding out here as well.

Joker Game: The setting and premise drew me in, as it looks to be a refreshing sort of realism. I do wish the character designs were a bit more visually distinct though. There seems to be a needlessly large number of characters, and they all look and act the same. It's obviously too early to blanket the whole series with that statement, but it was a bit of an off-putting aspect of the first episode. Portions of the dialogue in episode 1 also seemed to be bordering on pretentious, but hopefully that was just for a little bit of exposition. I'm interested to see what direction it takes, but I'll need a couple more episodes before I call this one either way.

Bungou Stray Dogs: You can potentially make some engaging action with a group of people with unique abilities, but I'm not sure if I expect much out of this series. The script writing didn't sit well with me, as the dialogue, slapstick, and gestures were a consistent source of annoyance. It's kind of a shame, too, as the soundtrack was absolutely superb. I'll check out episode 2, but I probably won't finish this through.

Sakamoto Desu ga: was drop dead funny. I hardly got a break from laughing through the whole episode. This type of mindless fun is great to unwind, and will be a good contrast to the action and suspense that everything else is bringing. I'll definitely keep taking this as my weekly medicine.

Ace Attorney: This didn't work at all in anime format. The plot points being rapidly slung around and being directly taken from something you normally spend time figuring out in a game made it seem very lazy and uninteresting. None of the characters were even remotely believable, either. I'm not going to bother following this one to the next episode, as I've seen enough of the style already to know I'll be wasting my time.

Honestly, nothing in the current anime season interests me except for Ace Attorney and (maybe) Hai-furi (that's only IF it doesn't have panty shots or non-consensual boob touching). Sure, the AA anime has its flaws, but I love AA so I'll watch it anyway.

Now that everything has started, anyone have any thoughts on any shows?

I ended up dropping Ace Attorney and Bungou Stray Dogs after all.
I'm not really sure about all the mumbo-jumbo that was Mayoiga. Sucking on purpose means you still suck, right?
Joker Game had some interesting arcs, but the inability to bring it all together and the similarity of most of the characters made it feel lackluster otherwise.
Kabaneri isn't done yet, so I can't call anything for certain. I was really entertained to begin with, but it has gotten progressively worse in my opinion. Let's hope for a stroke of genius in part 2.

I never thought I'd be giving my favorite of the season to a comedy, but it's been a while since I was so excited to watch something every week as Sakamoto. I didn't care one bit that the humor was repetitive, because it was still effective. Consider me thoroughly entertained.

Re:Zero looks to have gotten a lot of hype, and since it's one of the ones I skipped, I may have to visit it between now and the looming start of next season.

I'll update the list for summer on Friday.

I also dropped Ace Attorney and Bungou Stray Dogs after 3-4 episodes. Ace Attorney was a pretty... bad adaptation to say the least and it looked like shit. Stray Dogs looked like it was turning into generic a shounen series that I really didn't want to waste my time with.

Kabaneri was a bit meh for me and it seemed a little too similar to another series with a popular following. This was only after the first episode though and I've heard good things so I may have to revisit it.

I enjoyed My Hero Academia about as much as I expected to (I read part of the manga beforehand). I'd recommend it if you enjoy a good Shounen. Second season announced as well!

Diamond is Unbreakable is still airing for quite awhile, but I'm really enjoying it. Probably the best use of color I've ever seen in anime or animation in general. Enjoyed it so much that I started reading the manga to quench my thirst. Check out JoJo if you haven't already.

About halfway through the season I picked up Space Patrol Luluco. It's studio Trigger so you love it or you hate it. As a fan, I enjoyed myself quite a bit. Great little short series with a lot of great humor.

Overall, the season was pretty good and I'm looking forward to summer. At some point I'll probably watch all of Kiznavier and Re:Zero in a couple sittings as I hear they both ended up good.

Last edited:
Updated for summer.

I'll be keeping up with Mob Psycho 100, JoJo, both Danganronpa series, 91 Days, and possibly Nejimaki Serei Senki and Orange if I get around to it.

I haven't started anything yet, but my plans for what I'm going to check out: ReLIFE, Berserk, Orange, Mob Psycho 100, 91 Days, Rewrite, and Re: Zero.

Sunshine's first ep was pretty hype imo. Judging from Kanan's response to Chika mentioning school idols, I'm guess the third years entered the Love Live in their first year and lost? Kanan and Mari probably had a fight too, explaining her disdain when mentioning the Ohara family.
I like how Yohane and Hanamaru met in kindergarten. It links her to Maru-chan and seems to imply she's been a chuunibyou fallen angel for that long, so I'm looking very forward to her backstory after that hilarious intro. Speaking of Hanamaru, I think linking her to both first years was very nice. I was worried she wasn't going to get much development by the anime writers outside "Ruby's best friend who lives in a temple and loves to read", so maybe we'll get her side of why Yohane acts the way she does.

So, this is what I've actually started:

ReLIFE (1-13): I was overall disappointed, but I'm holding out for a rescue in season 2. I expanded on my thoughts a little more in this thread.

Orange (1-3): Really liking it so far. Again, there's a paragraph in the above link with a little more explanation.

Mob Psycho 100 (1-1): It was moderately entertaining, and I had a couple laughs, but it's way too early for me to say much about this.

91 Days (1-2): This is awesome! Revenge, deceit, assassination, smuggling, historical setting...I'm having tons of fun already. One of my favorite aspects I'm noticing is that despite hardly knowing most of the characters personally, they each have a really unique and impactful presence on screen. I guess they're just designed really well.

Rewrite (1-3): Despite being a big Key fan, I haven't actually found the time to read this VN yet. While it may end up doing it injustice, I decided to at least introduce myself to it through the anime. So far it's a lot more fantastical than I thought it would be, which is okay. Of course, we've got ourselves a whole gaggle of cheesy heroines, but it's par for the course for a dating sim. I have noticed a lot of awkward scene transitions so far, basically "have MC suddenly go here to trigger an event with random heroine." Part of that is just the nature of the adaptation though...you have to find a sort of happy medium between the routes to at least give each character some significance. It could have been done a little better here, but I feel like this problem will be less pronounced when there is less exposition to do. In any case, we're unfortunately still not done revealing the core plot elements here, so we'll see what's in store. On a completely different note, those students have the most senselessly lavish high school uniforms that I've ever seen...

Mob Psycho 100 (Bones)
Lovely XD Gotta love the mentor (forgot his name) and his sneaky way of earning money by somehow encouraging his mentee... for how long this would keep up... idk. I started watching it because it's another work from the writer of One-Punch Man, and I'm fascinated with the satire XD

Handa-kun (Diomedea)

I was a fan of Barakamon, and when I learned that Handa had a prequel about his high school days, I was immediately sold. It isn't anything like what I expected (I thought it would have a more Barakamon-esque vibe - light-hearted and soothing with lots of calligraphy knowledge) but I'm enjoying the current comedy full of misunderstanding the misunderstanding.

Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (LIDENFILMS)

I'm continuing to watch it, but there's nothing much to talk about...yet. It's fun, but I can't describe more about this than just 'fun'. I do like Gieve XD

Servamp (Brain's Base)

I watched two episodes, and it's not quite hooking me. Normally, a cast full of beautiful magical boys and vampires with various personalities would be more than appealing enough to get me watching... but idk about this. I'm going to give it one more episode before I decide to drop it.

Ace Attorney ( A-1 Pictures)
Continuing on from the previous season, I'm impressed with Franziska's portrayal. The one thing that's bothering me is the over-emphasis of Mia's breasts whenever her spirit is channeled, but since her large breasts are hinted at in the games as well, I guess it's a good thing they're not leaving out minor details? :/

Other anime:
Cheer Danshi
It's pretty generic, but a cheerleading team consisted of completely men is rather new. The flow of the story follows your typical sports anime plot, but I'm willing to see how this goes.

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love Love
The second season of the magical boys. I guess it kinda lost its initial charm and it isn't quite as sensational as before, but it's still fun to watch. It's still the only anime in the 'Magical Boys' genre.

Well, we're past the halfway point now. For the most part, there haven't been many changes or surprises for me in how I'm feeling about what I'm following. Here's what I'm thinking so far (last episode seen in parentheses):

Rewrite (9):
Ok, I tried, I really did...but this doesn't make any sense at all. I held out because I'm a Key fan, and now I'm too deep in this to justify quitting. This is all sorts of bad and incoherent, so much so that I'm finding it really hard to enjoy. I hope to god the novel isn't this much of a trainwreck.

Mob Psycho 100 (7):
Came for the slapstick, stayed for the surprisingly interesting story. It still remains comedic at its core, but it's clearly building up to a legitimate and likely badass climax. These dueling focuses have somehow managed to work well together up to this point, managing to avoid detracting from one another.

Orange (9):
Despite the rampant melodrama and cheesy high school dialogue, I felt that this was going really well for a while. The last couple episodes were very weak though. The behavior of the characters made it seem like they inexplicably lost their developments and motivations they had been building up to this point. To me, it seemed like this killed the whole momentum of the show. Hopefully it's just a lull in this respect, as important things are still happening, it just doesn't feel as natural as before. Still very interested to see the conclusion, because there are some important and blatant thematic questions that this show has yet to tackle.

91 Days (7):
I'm having so much fun with this. The protagonist is an absolute nutjob. I mean, he's logically sound and competent on a minute scale, but his bottom line is simply "revenge at any and all costs." He's on a mission to stab so many people in the back that sometimes I have no idea what he's going to do next. That forms a mystery in and of itself while watching, but my true enjoyment comes simply from watching all the double agent mindgames. There are a number of layered conflicts here that make sure the tension never dies down amongst the monstrous cast.

Between my friends and I trying to out-predict each other on an episode to episode basis (I usually win :p), my next guess is that he's going to cause his one true friend to get killed. This will be a catalyst that may snap him back to reality, but more likely than not will push him straight off into the deep end. No matter what happens, I expect it will be a ride, because there hasn't been a dull moment so far.

The Future Trunks Arc of Dragon Ball Super is full of hype right now. Episode 56 is my new favorite (seriously, it's amazing). Not watching any other ongoing anime right now. :p

There really hasn't been a lot to grab my attention this season. I had a go with:

Rewrite: And I had hoped - probably foolishly - that the premise might lead to some interesting thoughts on the nature of being a young and unemployed adult, or what high school looks like through the eyes of an adult. I mean, there could be a lot of interesting things to say about that - how petty and absurd would the teenage drama look when you know what it's like to be trudging from interview to interview? But, the whole thing very quickly changed to just another high school drama

Orange: Tss ... I don't know. It did pleasantly surprise me, since I was expecting a rather dopey shoujo, and Orange has turned out to be a lot less dopey than I thought. But on the other hand, it's doing that thing which you see in fanfic a lot - damn the feelings and motivations of the secondary characters so long as the main shippy bit goes well. That's bothering me. It seems like half the cast are sacrificing everything for one character

This Art Club Has A Problem! I really thought I was going to drop this, 'cause the stupid panty jokes and the otaku thing really got on my nerves. But you know what, it's become an amusing distraction - not uproariously funny or clever, but amusing and basically harmless

Well, the new season's on us again. I'm following three as of now:

Natsume's Book of Friends 5: I'm actually quite surprised that five seasons in, I'm not at all bored or fed-up of the format. Episode 1 turned out to be a perfectly solid start to the latest season, no complaints there

Haikyuu!: I'm more than a bit skeptical about whether the pacing of season 3 is going work, given that it's apparently going to be about 12 episodes covering just one match ... but the first episode is mercifully short on screaming (And especially Hinata's usual OOOARRRR! squeal)

Long Riders!: It's a bit silly ... but I have to admit, I thought it was sillier till I googled "hunger knock" and found that it wasn't just a made-up term to invent a bit of drama. So yes, a bit silly, but basically charming and cheerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom